Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD HDTV $990

Xrave

Supreme [H]ardness
Best Buy has Westinghouse 42" 1080p LCD HDTV for $990 with free in-store pickup, otherwise delivery is $60.

Use the 10% (or 12% with BestBuy RewardZone or Credit card) coupon to make it $890 or $871. The coupon isn't supposed to work for items that are already on sale, but depending on your cashier/bargaining skills, people have gotten the coupon to work.

Specs:
ATSC & QAM Tuner
8ms Response time
176 Degrees Horizontal/Vertical angle
Resolution: 1920x1080p
Inputs
4x HDMI
1x VGA/D-Sub
1x S-Video
2x Component
1x RF
4x Audio

This is an incredible TV. I just picked it up from Best buy for 1100$ last month. Looks like I'm going to best buy to pick up my 100$ for the 60 day price match. WOOOHOOO.

I'm currently running my Gaming PC through HDMI-2 (DVI to HDMI), My HD DVR Verizon Fios Box through HDMI 1 (HDMI to HDMI), my HTPC running through HDMI 3 (DVI to HDMI), and my DVD player through Component.

All I have to say is 1080p is ALL it is cracked up to be. Simply incredible. The blacks aren't AS good as a Sony, or Sharp... but I really do not notice at all. With a little DVD Essentials calibration, this set is incredible.

Wow. And I thought getting it for $1200 two months ago was a steal. Great TV. Works well as a monitor, and has a great picture. There's no better for the money. Bought mine 56 days ago, guess I'm heading to Best Buy tonight.

Its a great deal, unfortunately I need something larger to fit into a space in my living room or I would have jumped on this deal.

Too bad this TV has weird lock up issues. This is the exact one I've been eyeing for a few months... but the reviews at AVSForum kinda scare me off.

Don't forget people... this coupon is only good through the 10th.

Damnit! And I thought I was the shit getting mine for $860 last month after working over a cashier and manager.

Oh well, its a nice set and even more tempting for the masses now.

I love my 37w3. Awesome as a monitor, great for games, and I can watch TV on it too.

I picked up this TV for $990 a few months ago (using the same coupon). Only thing I wish it did was to pass surround sound through toslink to my receiver. Otherwise it is great and you can't find a better 42" 1080p TV for this much (if you do though, buy it!).

Here's the version w/o a TV Tuner I got from woot for $1055 after tax and ship. Slightly different model, but it'll give you an idea of how it fits on a desk. :D
DSC00049-vi.jpg

DSC00059-vi.jpg

Well I got a bit lucky. Best Buy's policy is after 30 days a price match is towards store credit. But the girl at the counter was able to give me cash. She seemed nice enough that if I had the 12% coupon she would've matched to that, but oh well. This TV's worth the original MSRP.

Here's the version w/o a TV Tuner I got from woot for $1055 after tax and ship. Slightly different model, but it'll give you an idea of how it fits on a desk. :D
http://images22.fotki.com/v761/photos/4/400168/1541226/DSC00049-vi.jpg[/IMG]

http://images23.fotki.com/v807/photos/4/400168/1541226/DSC00059-vi.jpg[/IMG]

That set actually uses a different panel with a slightly higher contrast ratio, so if you don't need an HD tuner you have a better set. :)

I purchased the TX42 for $1080 on sale at Best Buy around 3 weeks ago and I love it. I haven't experienced any 'lock up issues' or anything else of the sort yet and I've used the heck out of this TV. I suspect a lot of issues were ironed out in later firmware revisions - my sret's build date is July 22 2007 according to the on screen menus.

This set has inputs out the wazoo... 2 component, 2 composite/s-video, 4 HDMI, VGA, etc. About the only bad thing I can say is that it doesn't have a DVI port - if you want to use it with your PC you'll need a DVI -> HDMI cable which is about $5 from Newegg. :D

The TX42 makes a killer PC monitor too. It might have slightly worse contrast than the older LVM series sets but it blows the heck out of the 24" LG I had before, and the 20" Viewsonic I had before that. It's simply amazing!

I do advise spending the $120 on the Best Buy service plan simply because these sets DO have a higher than normal defect rate.

Oh yeah, and while I was buying the TV I spotted a $200 Philips Home Theatre In a Box setup that had decent reviews. I know, I know... you get what you pay for but the sound this thing puts out is pretty amazing for $200. And that's not the best part... the DVD player is 1080i upconverting and does a HELL of a job making DVD's look spectacular on an HD set. Not only that but it also plays DiVX and DiVX ultra files AND has a USB port so you can connect a USB flash drive or a USB hard drive and play files off of it. Pretty goddamned cool I must say.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8189131&type=product&id=1164156710855

if I wasn't in debt, i would sooooo jump on this :( Need an HDTV for my 360. poo =\ tired of playing on my 2007wfp

This is soooo tempting. It really sucks having degenerate roommates and having to save your money to help pay their part of the rent :/

I almost bought this two months ago but the AVS reviews scared me off too.

Also, it's not four independent HDMI ports, they're all on a switch. This means brightness/color/backlight/tint/contrast/etc settings are universal. I like each of my devices tuned, personally.

It has weird lockup issues, QAM issues, other weird quirks.

I ended up going with the 42" Philips Ambilight 1080p for a few hundred dollars more (at the time, this TV was $1200) but I don't regret it one bit.

Yes, because MANY of these displays lock up permanently and can only be fixed by getting a new one.

Picked up mine last night. The guy didn't even read the coupon. He even scanned me for 12% off and I applied for a rewards zone card. $871 before tax. $129 for the 4 year warranty (very necessary). After tax I walked out with the tv for $1061.

I couldn't even get any 1080p tv there in that price range even without the warranty.

I called BB and can get the warrenty up to 30 days after the purchase so I probably will get it.

I almost bought this two months ago but the AVS reviews scared me off too.

Also, it's not four independent HDMI ports, they're all on a switch. This means brightness/color/backlight/tint/contrast/etc settings are universal. I like each of my devices tuned, personally.

It has weird lockup issues, QAM issues, other weird quirks.

I ended up going with the 42" Philips Ambilight 1080p for a few hundred dollars more (at the time, this TV was $1200) but I don't regret it one bit.

UGHHH..........got that same lcd..it rocks!! i paid out the yin yang for it got it first week it was out like 5 mo's or so idk...a long time ago now though.. paid 1900 plus interest..i got kinda jewed... because i used a cc but non the less... it is badddd... they had the sharp aqos thier for 2300 for the 42'...without ambilight and not even noticeable pixel differation....

What does standard-definition from analog cable look like on this set? I don't have time to read 113 pages at AVS.

What does standard-definition from analog cable look like on this set? I don't have time to read 113 pages at AVS.

It looks like standard def does on any other 1080p native set. Blurry but acceptable from far away.

When talking about standard def viewed on a high resolution LCD display you have to remember the old saying "You can't polish a turd". :p

That leads into one of my only complaints about this set - hooked up to my Dish Network box and you can REALLY tell how much Echostar is compressing their signal these days. MPEG artifacts just became a whole lot more noticable. :p

saw this deal on slickdeals last night, and went out to BB that night, and filled out the credit app, and got approved for 1400. got the 12% applied like it was not even an issue, and picked it up today. $930 out the door, with 6 months at 0%. :cool: :D

they didn't even seem to care about the coupon and the onsale price... they even tried to help me get the sub total over 1k, so i could 18 months at 0%, but i said fuck that, i wasn't paying those prices for cables or surge suppressors, even if it got me financed cheaper. i could have gotten the 47" for 475 dollars more, lol almost 100 dollars per inch... :eek:

DAmn thats pretty good
I never made it over to BestBuy yesterday so I might pick it up tomorrow at the 990 they got it posted at oh well, its still a good deal

I hit up best Buy todaya nd they Had the 42" Westy Monitor there as well for $800 and the HDTV for $990. but... it wouldnt fit in my car so i couldnt pick one up! lol
If i bought it online would they ship it to my place?

Question tho, What would the better buy be, the HDTV or the Monitor? I did notice the TV had 1000:1 and the Monitor had 1600:1 but the Monitor was only 720 and the HDTV was 1080, Worht the extra 190 for the TV? Id be using it for Console gaming, Computer, and comp gaming, Maaaaaaaaaybe watcha littel tube on it.

I hit up best Buy todaya nd they Had the 42" Westy Monitor there as well for $800 and the HDTV for $990. but... it wouldnt fit in my car so i couldnt pick one up! lol
If i bought it online would they ship it to my place?

Question tho, What would the better buy be, the HDTV or the Monitor? I did notice the TV had 1000:1 and the Monitor had 1600:1 but the Monitor was only 720 and the HDTV was 1080, Worht the extra 190 for the TV? Id be using it for Console gaming, Computer, and comp gaming, Maaaaaaaaaybe watcha littel tube on it.

personally, i'd get the HDTV. the PC resolution alone is enough reason. and if you're using an HD-capable gaming console, i think it would make a huge difference. besides, its just $200. :p

lol yeah thats what i was thinkin and tellin my wife
Itll be for my PS3 and X360 console wise and also double as my main comp monitor
itll cost me about $200 more online, so i gotta figure out a way to go pick it up :p

DSC00049-vi.jpg

DSC00059-vi.jpg

what desk is that i'm looking to get one of these to fit on the jerker replacement fredirk

^^Looks like a jerker to me but i could be wrong.

Side note i was wondering if this deal will come back soon im tired of waiting.

Back