wh00t! Got my E6800 Extreme from Microcenter $1074 with tax, #'s off chip enclosed

SixFootDuo

Supreme [H]ardness
Intel 05'

Intel Core 2 Extreme

6800 SL955 Malay

2.93GHZ/4M/1066/05B

L624A609

Can anyone decode that for me ? lol

BTW, Microcenter has ONE left. It's marked $999 but $1299 in computer. If you are near Kansas City, call them, they will hold it for you or even ship it to you maybe.

SixFootDuo said:
Intel 05'

Intel Core 2 Extreme

6800 SL955 Malay

2.93GHZ/4M/1066/05B

L624A609

BTW, Microcenter has ONE left. It's marked $999 but $1299 in computer. If you are near Kansas City, call them, they will hold it for you or even ship it to you maybe.

2930MHZ, 4mbs of l2 cache 2x2mb (of course), 1066 is your FSB and 05B is the "Platform Compatibility Guide."

So how high can you overclock this beast?

Firebat said:
2930MHZ, 4mbs of l2 cache 2x2mb (of course), 1066 is your FSB and 05B is the "Platform Compatibility Guide."

So how high can you overclock this beast?

No, that's just ONE 4MB L2 not 2 X 2.

Don't get motherboard , ram and H/S fan til' tomorrow.

I'm thinking I will at least be able to get 3.5 - 3.6GHz on air out of it.

Have the AS5 already to roll.

I've never installed a socket 775, I am sure I'm going to be nervous working with a $1,000 cpu.

SixFootDuo said:

I've never installed a socket 775, I am sure I'm going to be nervous working with a $1,000 cpu.

Nice, very nice indeed!

SixFootDuo said:
Was wondering what the other numbers meant. Anyone?

6800 - Product Code number ie. x6800

SL955 - SSPEC #... this gives you all the detailed info for the CPU... stepping/speed/cache/etc. that's a B2 stepping CPU BTW

Malay - Where it was made

2.93GHZ/4M/1066/05B - I hope you can figure this one out. :D

L624A609 - Batch numbers... allows Intel to track the CPU from the batch of silicon that was used to the person who recieved it.

So the Extreme is different than the other conroes? I thought they were all 2 x 2 cache. I did read that the Extreme had a faster memory bus.

SixFootDuo said:
So the Extreme is different than the other conroes? I thought they were all 2 x 2 cache. I did read that the Extreme had a faster memory bus.

The ONLY difference between the XE chips and "regular" ones with Conroe is a a higher Clockspeed and unlocked multi. They ALL (with the exception of the 2mb cache versions) have 4mb of shared cache and 1066 FSB. Orginally there was going to be a1333fsb version... but that was canned.

SixFootDuo said:

They have only one cache and it is shared in anyway the two cores see fit. One Core can use as little or as much, or even all if it needs it.

Bah, I called Microcenter near me and they said they had some, but it was 1299. I might be willing to get the XE version, but not at 300 over the tray price. It was eve nthe OEM version that htey had, not boxed.

Where did yo usee the 999 price listed and how can I get them to hold to that?

It's right on the box, $999, mine was OEM as well.

I got mine at what was listed. The sales guy said, "opps, the price is wrong, it's $1,299 in the computer .. BUT, I have to sell it to you at what's listed on the box."

The girl I talked said it was $999 even when I called ahead to have my name put on it.

There was a link up earlier on Microcenter, I'm sure many of you saw it. But, that link vanished. I'm sure they raised the price.

I would just go down there, ask to buy it and if the box still says $999, hold them to it. I would even go as far as to bitch about bait and switch if they don't.

I didn't have to get ugly, thank god. I would have.

Well, I only called in, will have to swing by after work and see what the box says :) wish I had access to my home email right now, pretty sure I saw the 999 in the email ad they sent earlier this week.

SixFootDuo said:
Intel 05'

Intel Core 2 Extreme

6800 SL955 Malay

2.93GHZ/4M/1066/05B

L624A609

I got mine from Micro Center here in Orange County, CA. Looks like mine is from the same exact batch as yours. Wanted to make a slight correction though. I believe the 3rd line of writting on the chip should read:

"6800 SL9S5 Malay" not SL955

Does that S instead of a 5 change anything as far as stepping information?

Hope to god I can do that with the chip I just bought.

Also, I heard that the newer boards shipping have the bios I think you are talking about. I tried to order one of these boards a week ago and they were sold out. They came back into stock tues of this week.

Hopefully my board is fresh off the boat.

Yes, you're right, I just looked, it's an S not a 5. My eye sight is blurry from camping conroes online all damn night.

Donnie27 said:
They have only one cache and it is shared in anyway the two cores see fit. One Core can use as little or as much, or even all if it needs it.

thats so sweet!! :)

Donnie27 said:
No, that's just ONE 4MB L2 not 2 X 2.

I would think it's 6 of one, half dozen the other. Is ONE 4MB L2 Vs. 2 X 2 really going to make that much of a difference? I'm just asking whether the difference will be clearly noticeable between one 4MB L2 and 2 X 2 ?

Gravestone Doji said:
I would think it's 6 of one, half dozen the other. Is ONE 4MB L2 Vs. 2 X 2 really going to make that much of a difference? I'm just asking whether the difference will be clearly noticeable between one 4MB L2 and 2 X 2 ?

It can yes... though there really isn't a way to show this since there isn't a 2x2 Conroe out. Bascially the cache works as a buffer for the data coming from the memory. This allows you to "workaround" the limitations of the drawbacks of using a FSB. More is better in this case IMHO.

Poncho said:
It can yes... though there really isn't a way to show this since there isn't a 2x2 Conroe out. Bascially the cache works as a buffer for the data coming from the memory. This allows you to "workaround" the limitations of the drawbacks of using a FSB. More is better in this case IMHO.

I guess it would depend on what applications were running and thus would vary under different circumstances. I kind of thought just the opposite though, that it would be an advantage for each processor have it's own separately dedicated L2 cache vs. one 4mb shared cache. Wouldn't L2 x 2mb allow each core to have faster access to the most often used "data coming from the memory" ?

SixFootDuo said:

Are you expecting that prime or bench stable. If bench stable I am willing to bet 3.9 if you give it enough juice.

Gravestone Doji said:
I guess it would depend on what applications were running and thus would vary under different circumstances. I kind of thought just the opposite though, that it would be an advantage for each processor have it's own separately dedicated L2 cache vs. one 4mb shared cache. Wouldn't L2 x 2mb allow each core to have faster access to the most often used "data coming from the memory" ?

I think the latency is not a problem, hence the purpose of the L2 in the first place. But with this, say you are using only one core for a program, well it now has the choice to use all 4MB's, instead of being limited to just two. Of if you are running two processes, but for some reason (I'm no engineer) one is not cache depenedent, well the other may use all 4.

Back