What 24" IPS/PLS monitor(s) should I get?

klezmer41

n00b
I do a lot of programming, graphic design and multimedia work, and some gaming also. I like the idea of a 27" or 30" for games, but I'm worried that text size would not be so great for my eyes. So I'm thinking of getting 24" in a dual setup.

So far I'm thinking of getting 2 of either the Dell U2410, Dell U2412m or Samsung Samsung SA850.

Any advice on which model to get or avoid?

Right now I'd avoid the Samsung 24" though I do love the 27".

The U2412M can be found for a deal both in U.S. and Canada for Black Friday weekend. It's sRGB gamut, responsive for gaming, has a good stand and built-in USB ports. You might be able to find it under $300.00 the next few days. It was $299.99 in Canada up until yesterday I believe, and Dell has a good return policy if it's not your cup of tea.

For text stuff the 24" form factor is good as you don't have to do any scaling (generally) to make fonts bigger or smaller.

HP ZR2440w, is among some of the newer 24" IPS monitor released.
Not long till it gets a review, personally i would wait for the review before you purchase any 24".
Tftcentral.co.uk, is working on the review. Based on what the reviewer is writing on the forums, it seems promising.
well i think if it were me i'd maybe go with 2x ZR2440w (which are looking very good so far by the way)

Last edited:
Hi guys,

New kid here and thought I'd hijack an existing thread rather than start a new one.

I'm also deciding between the Dell U2412M and the Samsung S24A850DW. I've ordered the Dell already, but the great reviews on the larger 27" Samsung has me wondering. I can't afford to spend $1000 on a gaming monitor (including new video card), so I'm looking at the 24", instead.

Price-wise, I'm getting the Dell for $300 plus taxes, while the Samsung will be at least $480 plus taxes. But the difference isn't so large that I'd have to go with the Dell hands down.

Any thoughts? My primary usage for the monitor is gaming, though I'm no professional. Also word processing and casual photoshopping.

Thanks, guys!

@sakage.shinga
Here is a review of the 24": http://samsungs24a850dw.blogspot.com/
It looks like a excellent monitor, if i am right the backlight issues are because of factory "problems".
So there is a risk, of getting a monitor with terrible backlight. I don't know if you can RMA it.
If they have solved these problems (from review), then i believe it would be a better choice than U2412M.

Please check my reply over, i am doing that at the moment.
Unless you can't really wait anymore.

Last edited:
I read a lot of text and I simply hated the U2412. The AG coating is too strong and the native brightness is way too high. You can turn it down, but for some reason, you can never get it right. It is either too dark or too bright. Seems hard to find a compromise. Ended up returning the monitor. Worst monitor for text I've ever seen.

Back