What an awesome overclock

Silmatharien

Limp Gawd
My CPU overclocks great. Right now, I have my AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton @ 2.07 GHz and it's running at 41 C (temps get as low as 38 C). I'm using a Thermalright SLK-800 heatsink and a Thermaltake Volcano 9 fan. W00t! I will be starting water cooling this week however ..

cpu--.JPG

Yeah, I haven't even TRIED pushing it yet. Just in the summer, it was getting so hot that I didn't want to push it. It got to almost 55 C idle because it was 35+ C degrees out.

Good job. With water, you should be able to push that barton to 2.2 gigs easy. I had my barton running at 2.4 gigs on chilled water and a LRWW block. I switched over to a 2600+ Mobile this week and am now running at 2.53 gigs.

With my other 2500+ Barton, I had it up to 2.2 GHz on air. But *somehow* the die got chipped. Luckily AMD gave me a new one (and it seems to be overclocking better too).

2.5 ghz on air here... cant wait till winter so i can get higher with my window open :D

mpcamer1220 said:
2.5 ghz on air here... cant wait till winter so i can get higher with my window open :D

Is that a mobile processor? that's an insane overclock. It's winter now ... but I sure don't want my window open.

Silmatharien said:
Is that a mobile processor? that's an insane overclock. It's winter now ... but I sure don't want my window open.
no not a mobile :(

ive hit 2.8 ghz, and i was scared it was about to fry.. ive been able to run it at 2.7 (with windows open, and fairly cold outside) with out a problem and play games, but 2.8 is too much.. it just gets too hot. i have 7 80mm fans in the case and a box fan pointing at the case.. currently, its at 1.825v (i think). ive never taken it past 1.875.. to scared lol.

im sure you could get some realllly nice oc's if yours is a mobile :cool:

mpcamer1220 said:
no not a mobile :(

ive hit 2.8 ghz, and i was scared it was about to fry.. ive been able to run it at 2.7 (with windows open, and fairly cold outside) with out a problem and play games, but 2.8 is too much.. it just gets too hot. i have 7 80mm fans in the case and a box fan pointing at the case.. currently, its at 1.825v (i think). ive never taken it past 1.875.. to scared lol.

im sure you could get some realllly nice oc's if yours is a mobile :cool:

And, uh, how cold is it in that room? That's insane. You must have gotten an awesome chip there. I'll see how high I can get mine this week.

What's *too hot*?

I've been about 2380 or so with an xp1700 on air. that was my trophy.

whats important is what your OC does at full load ! ;)

Just be careful when you push the processor. Consider Heat and Stability.

I still stop playing at 70C, even though most of the modern chips can handle more I just don't like it...

So it is ok to go past 70? I have been scared to make it any hotter than high 50s...

My cooling really sucks so I'm suprised I got this far.
Barton.jpg

Mobile 35w 2400+, Baby! :D

Watercooling system coming soon!

pbguy434 said:
So it is ok to go past 70? I have been scared to make it any hotter than high 50s...

The cpu should be able to *HANDLE* about 90C, but thats max before stuff starts melting and the processor just fries.

I wouldn't do anything higher than 80C, but I am paranoid about my chips and start going nuts if it goes above 40C (watercooled :D )

Somebody on the OCAU forums named Cathar (makes great waterblocks) clocked his mobile chip to 3007.5 MHz ON WATER!

wow 2.07! my mobile 2500 does 2.4 on air with alx 800, 1 case fan, 1 psu fan, and a 3000rpm hsf yet i get 37c-41c idle!

CrimandEvil said:
My cooling really sucks so I'm suprised I got this far.
Barton.jpg

Mobile 35w 2400+, Baby! :D

Watercooling system coming soon!

nice, what kind of temps are you getting right now (with air cooling i mean)?

Hey so there were no sources for downloads so I thought - hey, I'll overclock some more. So I did! I've got my 2500+ Barton now at 200 x 11 = 2200 MHz. I'm not going to bother with the torture test right now (or testing of any kind other than idle usage) because I will be water cooling it TOMORROW!!!!!!!! Yay! According to MBM 5 my CPU diode is still running around 40 C (with 37 C being the lowest recorded so far). VCore is at 1.65 V.

Grizzy said:
The cpu should be able to *HANDLE* about 90C, but thats max before stuff starts melting and the processor just fries.

I wouldn't do anything higher than 80C, but I am paranoid about my chips and start going nuts if it goes above 40C (watercooled :D )
same for me but i dont let it go past 50C and i cool using a slk-800 and silent fan... thats probably whats limiting my overclock more then anything..

Well I FINALLY got active cooling for my northbridge ... this afternoon was one of attempting to figure out how to apply the HSF to it w/o instructions (which got lost somewhere. :p BUT I think I got it. It's seated firmly and there's contact all over the northbridge between it and the HSF (MCX159-A).

Back