Votes: 6 2.1%
  • Sophos Anti-Virus

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other, please specifiy

Votes: 46 15.9%

• Total voters

MaXimus

[H]ard|Gawd
I use NOD32, loved it from the moment I installed it and been using it for 2 years now :)

USMC2Hard4U said:
NOD32. Quite possibly the best 40 some dollars spent every year.
Only for the first year bro, renewal is only 28$ US Dollars!

And it deserves it big time! Heck I dont even feel that I have an AV program on my system coz it barely uses any resources

I use Kaspersky on one computer and NOD32 on the other. I am going to be switching to NOD32 when my subscription runs out on Kaspersky, but I still think that Kaspersky is an extremely capable AV package. NOD32 is just a hell of a lot more elegant solution than the others.

I use TrendMicro's Housecall when I need to scan. Dont bother installing AV because active protection uses too much recources, and if I just want periodic scans, its easier to use a web based scanner.

Alright WHOOOAAA slow this thread down

I've used AVG - It's free but worthless doesnt catch nearly as much as anything else

Norton - Its nice but its bloated (very good team working at norton)

Kaspersky - my favorite (I use system mechanic professional bundled with kaspersky

Mcafee - Norton's competitor..... Similar Norton is a lil more robust

Staples Antivirus - Stables name on the box it's rebundled panda antivirus

Housecall.trendmicro.com - I use it from time to time Very good for being free.

The computer Saavy users run scans when we feel like it. We don't need to be babysat and have the computer do it for us. Im generally careful wabout what i open and etc. and what ports... etc.

I don't use one, because I'm fairly confident that my Mac won't be sought after to get infected. I have opened a couple of those AIM messages (when a friends sn gets taken over and just started sending out IMs) that are images with programs. When I open those the virus doesn't like me.

I'm going to try that NOD32. I use Norton right now and if it DOES find anything (it's mostly spyware) it doesn't delete it. In fact, my brother had that problem too (he had viruses more than just spyware) and Norton would basically act like, "Heeeeeey, you got this thing here. *shrug* I dunno what to do with it."

symantec corporate user here. Not anywhere near as bloated as Norton, but the same basic technology.

As a fallback, Norton 2002, before they started adding all the anti-spyware bloat.

I've been using Norton AV (actually Systemworks) since the beginning and have had no problems at all with it's size or suffered any malfunction. I've never been infected with a virus, trojan or worm...plenty caught, deleted or quarantined, but nothing got to the system. There was one version of Systemworks that sucked bigtime about 4 years ago, but other than that, no problems.

We use norton here at work, occasionally I'll do a trendmicro online scan.

For home PCs, I use AVG and trend as well.

nod32, low resource usage and catches everything

a lot of people seem to think that being computer savvy means you can just run online scans and don't need real time protection....well i'm pretty good with computers and i still wouldn't leave it without a virus scanner. for nothing else, i can schedule it to run a scan when i'm in bed, so i don't have to remember and it does it regularly. also, i download a lot and you never know when something that is supposed to be clean isn't. for instance, one time when i was updating my nvidia drivers, the mirror that i got sent to (by the official site!) had an infected download. If nod32 hadn't yelled at me, i wouldn't have know for a while and it could have been bad.

please don't think that just because you are good with computers, and have a firewall, and don't download everything under the sun, that you are safe. you aren't.

IanG said:
symantec corporate user here. Not anywhere near as bloated as Norton, but the same basic technology.

As a fallback, Norton 2002, before they started adding all the anti-spyware bloat.

You do realize Symantec stops support on their products after 3 years, right?

I use Nod32.

EGGO said:
I'm going to try that NOD32. I use Norton right now and if it DOES find anything (it's mostly spyware) it doesn't delete it. In fact, my brother had that problem too (he had viruses more than just spyware) and Norton would basically act like, "Heeeeeey, you got this thing here. *shrug* I dunno what to do with it."
Ditto on that! When i used to use Norton, it would catch everything bad, but never offered a solution other than quarantining the freakin' file! never repairing it! :rolleyes:

But from my experience, McAfee Anti Virus is by far the worst piece of software on earth! Try it on any fast computer and the speed will drop to half as it is the biggest resource hog on earth! worst of all people trust them :rolleyes:

I started using NOD32 yesterday and so far I like it. I can tell you one thing for sure about NAV 2005, once I stopped using it my computer boots much faster and even runs better. I noticed the same thing when I stopped using ZoneAlarm. Both of those programs will slow down your computer, at least they did for me. :)

Kathy

In my opinion AVG is the best way to go. It picks up way more things than any other scanner (in my experience). And doesn't seem to eat up as much resources.

Thanks for posting the 10,000 virus test. Actually, on a certain board that I'm heasitent to mention here we (I ran the test myself) investigated what I'm 90% sure is the same file to find out the best AV. Most AVs are pretty much the same as far as definitions are concerned, as evidenced by the test. Look carefully - see all the DOS viruses? On average, all the missed viruses for any AV were ancient DOS based viruses. There were a lot of them in that file! This is evidence of how far back the AV's definitions database included. A great measure of performance, but not the only one. Next, we took a "new" set of viruses and tested it against the AVs to discern their heuristics, that is to say how well it can think "hmmm...its not in my definitions, but based on what its doing this really looks like some new malware". After this, the playing field split wide open! From memory NOD32, F-Secure, and something called MKS_vir scored the best, Norton and macaffe the worst. Wish I could post the results but the board is no longer in service. Good read!

flynlr said:
avg free why pay?
Maybe because AVG doesn't work worth a damn? :D

elation said:
McAfee - Free from my work
You should sue your employer for providing you with "Sin Against God" software!

NOD32 here because it does work, and it works a verifiable measure better than all others without using up too many system resources, nagging the shit out of you, or littering your registry with a zillion entries. It's a no-brainer.

Kathy said:
I started using NOD32 yesterday and so far I like it. I can tell you one thing for sure about NAV 2005, once I stopped using it my computer boots much faster and even runs better. I noticed the same thing when I stopped using ZoneAlarm. Both of those programs will slow down your computer, at least they did for me. :)

Kathy
You guys need to listen to Kathy. ;)

another nod32 here.. it's unobtrusive, not too heavy on resources and does it's job well. i recommend it to clients/friends who ask or who are using some hog like norton on an older rig

Long time user of Nortons but it is a resource hog so last year, got a free subscription of Mcafee through my Verizon dsl, and now through Comcast. I find it to be alot less buggy than Nortons and a way smaller footprint as well. I am cheap and take free over paying anyday. Gives me more cash to upgrade my box and purchase new games. :D

mosin said:
Maybe because AVG doesn't work worth a damn? :D

Exact what about AVG is bad? Seriously, I've used AVG for years and found it to be a great little piece of software.

If you got a real issue with AVG let's hear it.....

Until this year I have been a die hard Norton user, 15+ years. But I started getting annoyed with NAV 2004 and 2005 was so bloated. I decided to give PC-Cillin a try, I will never switch back. PC-Cillin does not slow my system down like NAV and it is atomatically updated whenever a new threat emerges. It even got 2 virus's that NAV didn't.

We use Symantec Corporate at work. Same as Norton Antivirus but not as big and bloaty. I have used Avast, AVG, Symantec Corporate, and NOD32 at home. I think I will be going with NOD32 for home. Just seems much nicer and a whole lot cleaner then AVG.

Back