What apps make your X2 shine?

What multi-threaded software are you using to make your X2 purrrr like a kitten?
Or did you get it for multi tasking?

For me DVD Shrink got a nice lil boost!

Def DVD Shrink for me.
Also for me it's not always so much a single app that is better but running multiple apps that would previously kill my aXP machine.

See on my WOW server the pvp ques are horrible. So I simply do my normal thing and run Wow in the background. Maybe even start up a dif game and play that while I wait.

3DSMax Rendering mainly at this point...
My Opteron [email protected] is 40 minutes faster rendering a 9"x9" grass displacement map than my friends Intel 3.0ghz w/HT (Northwood)

Opteron [email protected] = 21 minutes
Intel 3.0C Northwood = 1:05minutes

But overall this dualcore is just amazing.. I can pretty much throw as much as I want to at it, and it churns through everything very quickly.

the whole TMPGEnc bundle is way faster, the encoders are literaly twice as fast with dual core enabled.

Internet Explorer and Firefox... When I am on those sites with tons of Junk Flash and whatnot.

psyclist said:
word is sooooo much faster now...thanx dual core :p

really [H]ard members (tee hee) love the fact that OOo is soo much faster

n00b!

/just kidding, not really that mean

You think Word is fast - try multiple instances of Wordpad! Or Notepad, even!

;)

I expect voice dictation into a Word doc is much quicker using a dual core cpu. Plan to find out shortly (165 on a 6100-939 coming).

what other apps take advantage of this? i see DVD shrink would be a plus for me.

tvdang7 said:
what other apps take advantage of this? i see DVD shrink would be a plus for me.
very few in particular. it really depends, what do you do?

actually, an increase in DVD Shrink would be nice. I don't do much else but a little light gaming and some ppt

See some fantastic boosts in TMPEGEnc and today, I got some nice boosts from the new Multithreaded Divx 6.1 :)

<-- Is happy

DVD Santa
Super DVD Ripper
DVD Clone
D2OL (kind of like folding@Home)

or any time i have alot of apps. open

dual core and dual CPU rock!!!! :D :D :D

Photoshop CS2 actually seems to support dual processors and processes very nicely.

multitasking and windows are smoother in general. awesome :D

I'd have to say Photoshop and 3DSM saw the biggest boost. I even saw a boost going from X2 to Opteron :)

how long does it take u to shrink a Dual Layer movie?

it takes me like 30-45 to Analyze & Encode 2 Dual Layer Movies (IMO that's still pretty slow, the wait is unbearable) :p

rox1co said:
how long does it take u to shrink a Dual Layer movie?

it takes me like 30-45 to Analyze & Encode 2 Dual Layer Movies (IMO that's still pretty slow, the wait is unbearable) :p

Doesn't it take over an hour to do just one on a single-core?

Also...way to bump a 3-month old thread :p

Bona Fide said:
Doesn't it take over an hour to do just one on a single-core?

Also...way to bump a 3-month old thread :p
i never tried it with my old ass computer so i didn't know :(

i can't wait to take on 3 DVD Shrinks when i get my 3rd burner, gonna be fun

3 DVD Shrinks + CS:S!!! <3 Dual Core

ps. yeah gotta keep da old stuff alive! and plus, i like to use SEARCH instead before i post so i'm usually reviving old threads

well even though this post is real old, I noticed a boost in Acronis True Image 9.0. When making a hard drive image if I set the priority to High it will utilize 95 - 100% of both cores. Backups go quicker now thanks to my Opteron.

DVD Shrink gets a nice boost for me. It would take maybe 1-1.25 hours with a [email protected], and now I do it in about 40 minutes with dual layer DVD's.

DVD shrink = 1 movie = customized it a bit, took off some of the audio settings i didn't like and took off quality ehancehment = 25 minutes :) mmm

OK you guys are making me drool.

So what portion of you are running Xp and XP64. Any noticable gains in DVDshrink with going 64bit with dual core? Is DVDshrink coded for 64bit ?

Nero 7 uses both cores nicely for me, its laughable how much quicker than my Celeron D or 3000+ A64 for that matter. Photoshop CS2 is another great one.

tvdang7 said:
well dvd shrink isnt on there either

That list is OLD thats why. I remember looking at that same list about 2 years ago while pondering building a dual opteron setup in '04

And I think it was old then too...

Photoshop CS2. So sexy on a dc.
you should remove quake 3 from that list. to my knowledge smp was removed in a point release as it never worked properly. trying to use it now generally results in a crash :p

rox1co said:
DVD shrink = 1 movie = customized it a bit, took off some of the audio settings i didn't like and took off quality ehancehment = 25 minutes :) mmm

This computer did that (The current one in your sig.) ? :p
Dell E1505 1.6ghz
1GB DDR2 533mhz
100GB 5400rpm SATA
8X CD/DVD Burner

Anyways. I'm looking forward to dual core. I got what i have always wanted. Will post in this thread in a couple weeks.

Is investing in the new Nero 7 Ultra Edition something i should do? I use Nero alot, i currenty have Nero 6.

HDBox2d1 said:
Is investing in the new Nero 7 Ultra Edition something i should do? I use Nero alot, i currenty have Nero 6.
i have 7, i can't recall what 7 has that 6 doesn't so i can't say. is there a trial version? i suggest trying it out first.

have 7 but no dual core.

we should switch co :)

but what would nero use to use dual core any way? converting mp3s to cd format and thats its really?

rox1co said:
i have 7, i can't recall what 7 has that 6 doesn't so i can't say. is there a trial version? i suggest trying it out first.

If this is stuff is 'all new' .
'Now, with more features than ever before, this powerful software can transform your digital photos into professional animated slideshows, backup all of your valuable data, manage and search your media files, edit video or photos, create DVDs (including menus), stream your files over a media server, and compress files to take on the go. Beginners and experts alike will be amazed by what one solution can do. Really, it&#8217;s that good.'
http://ww2.nero.com/nero7/enu/Products.html

Yeah, i bet there is a trial version. Good idea.

tvdang7 said:
have 7 but no dual core.
we should switch co :)
but what would nero use to use dual core any way? converting mp3s to cd format and thats its really?

Thats no fun. Well its more the ways of multitasking. I will be able to do many other things in the background while Nero is burning, without my computer being laggy.
Maybe 5% faster burning? It should be your DVD drive limited?

Back