What are all of the PRACTICAL ways one can mod their rig?

BurntToast

2[H]4U
The answer I’m looking for it NOT “Put a window on the case, add 4 UV lights, spray pain the case jet black..” and so on.

What I’m looking for are mods that help contribute towards making your computer more usable.

Example.. Installing a handle on the top of the case to make transportation easier.
Example.. Installing casters on a server case so that it is easier to access ports in the back of the 120lb case.

And so on..

Can anyone give me any other ideas that would help for practical reasons, NOT conventional modding for the bling bling factor?

I always find when going to the back of my rig it's always dark and i'm fumbling around then go for a flashlight.. blah what a pain, a good functional mod would be to install one or even a cluster of white led's on the back and add a switch to the back as well so you can see what the hell you're doing back there :p I mean you could always go out and buy one of those USB laptop led lights, but what fun is that!.. weak suggestion but it's all I got right now :)

All stamped fan grills must die.
Seriously. Cut them out. Clean it up. Screw in a rounded wire grill.
Oh look! Airflow is way up and noise is way down!
*mutters and kills Antec's stupid noise-generating hex stampings some more*

You do realize that paint flames does make the thing go faster!!!!

Actually I would work on some blowholes

Add sound suppression material always helps with keeping the noise down

1. fan controller for setting fan speeds = less noise (practical IMO)
2. blowholes for sure
3. rewiring everything to enable better airflow, works in tandem with fan speeds to increase overall cooling
4. changing all 80mm fans up to 120mm fans wherever possible, helps lower noise and increase overal airflow.
5. changing out the extra backplane USB (like the MSI boards, a PCI slot for 4 USBs) to a front USB cutout--very handy for thumbdrives, headset, and other quick plugins.
6. internalizing a wireless mouse/keyboard dock INTO your case so you don't have to plug things in everytime you move it? (I did this exact thing with a DiNovo 900MHz station, crimped onto Motherboard USB headers, just left the charger external).
I'm sure I can think of some more things, and others will definitely have some contributions beyond those already posted. ;)

More things to do to your box.

1.) Get headphone/mic headers to a handy place on the case if they aren't already where you'd like them.
2.) CMOS clear switch on mobo and power switch on mobo ala DFI boards, if you like to tinker on them.
3.) Implant USB->Playstation controller ports into the case for those games that are best played on a gamepad (PS controllers are the best IMO).
4.) Front panel (maybe hidden) IDE/SATA headers + molex to transfer data quickly (bye bye USB)
5.) Hinged case door - instead of sliding it out, swing it open to allow access to the guts. Shouldn't be too hard to do.
6.) 5.25" extendable tray to keep valuable... stuff. (like boot discs, flash drives, favorite games, etc)

Can't think of anymore for right now, but I'm sure there's more. Of course any emulation of case features found on cases that you don't find on yours is always good (like redesigned HD cages, toolless mechanisms, etc), and as always, cooling solutions.

RE: CMOS switch...I considered that, but worried about anyone punching that button as a joke--OUCH. Resetting all your BIOS just because some goober thought "what does THIS button do?"

recommend putting it on the back, under a corner, behind a panel, etc. BTW, as I understand it, you would need a DT (double throw, I think single pole will do it) switch since most CMOS circuits require a steady ON (jumper on 1-2) and just a short (jumper on 2-3) to clear CMOS.

Dgephri said:
RE: CMOS switch...I considered that, but worried about anyone punching that button as a joke--OUCH. Resetting all your BIOS just because some goober thought "what does THIS button do?"

recommend putting it on the back, under a corner, behind a panel, etc. BTW, as I understand it, you would need a DT (double throw, I think single pole will do it) switch since most CMOS circuits require a steady ON (jumper on 1-2) and just a short (jumper on 2-3) to clear CMOS.

Well I said it should be on the mobo, I didn't imagine it'd be outside the case somewhere, lol.

true. I remembered that AFTER I hit post. ;) My case is just hard to open, so I considered an external CMOS button.

Automated Airsoft Sentry gun? C'mon.

It'll help keep the inexperienced away from your CMOS switch. :D

A powered power button. SoitZaps whoever tries to turn on your rig. Same with vandal switches so you can find it

Optimize front-to-back air-flow and reduce case-noise sources:
- Remove air-intake restrictions.
- Remove air-exhaust restrictions.
- Replace restrictive input filter with low-restriction filter (or remove and clean often).
- Optimized air-flow stream should require only one rear vent fan.
- Tape over any side-intake holes.
- Tape over any rear-intake holes.
- Remove any side-intake ducts.
- Vibration-isolate rear exhaust fan.
- Vibration isolate hard drive(s).
- Vibration-isolate CPU cooling fan.

Ideally, you're down to only two fans - rear vent fan and CPU heatsink fan. Check internal case temps and HD temp. If you've properly optimized air-flow, internal case temps should be about 30C idle and 32C with CPU-loaded.

If noise still high, replace fans with quieter fans or reduce fan voltage - tuning for best combination of low noise and acceptable internal case temp.

Hope this helps!

hate to break it to you, but a window is one of the most practical mods out there, it allows nosy friends and lan goers to see what your running but with out the risk of hem being able to steal or short your your stuff(use loc-tighted screws to keep the sides on at lans for this to work) plusm it allows you a quick look inside when your trouble shooting, lights on the other hand are not needed, but handy if the room is dark :p

A side window is also practical if you're not running any nanny software to monitor your fans and such. It's comforting to look off to the side and see everything spinning merrily along. You can also see when a cleaning is a bit overdue :)

Back