What are you guys using for Antivirus protection these days?

For myself? Nothing

Every now and then I amuse myself and run a scan but have never found anything.

For friends and family I used to recommend Avira, but I'm probably going to start going with MSE as it's been working alright on a friends so far and I've heard good things.

Has this thread and the millions of others just like it told you nothing? :confused:

That made me lol. :D

I just got my parents off AVG. Dad sent me an e-mail two days ago stating his computer was slow and that he had just upgraded from AVG 8 to AVG 9. I laughed then said kill that piece of shit and use MSE. Problem solved. :cool:

Tried MSE last night. Bad first experience...

1) It found two things, both false positives.
2) After finishing the first scan, MsMpEng.exe got stuck in an infinite loop or something and proceeded to eat 50% of my (quad core) processor until I concluded that it wasn't doing anything and killed it.
3) There is no way to exit and there is no option to prevent it from starting with Windows. I had to disable the services manually.

3) There is no way to exit and there is no option to prevent it from starting with Windows. I had to disable the services manually.

What do you mean no way to exit?
You can disable real time protection, Settings tab, 3rd item down list on left..check boxes.

Regarding your issues with it, any prior antivirus programs on this rig? If so, were they fully uninstalled first, with a reboot to clean <whatever> in RAM?

What do you mean no way to exit?
You can disable real time protection, Settings tab, 3rd item down list on left..check boxes.

Regarding your issues with it, any prior antivirus programs on this rig? If so, were they fully uninstalled first, with a reboot to clean <whatever> in RAM?

Even after disabling real time protection, the program remains open in your tray. Sure, it's not doing anything (I suppose), but I would still like the option to completely close it.

No priors. This is a relatively new installation of Windows 7 64.

Even after disabling real time protection, the program remains open in your tray. Sure, it's not doing anything (I suppose), but I would still like the option to completely close it.

No priors. This is a relatively new installation of Windows 7 64.

Why would you want to close it? There really isn't much reason to kill an app that uses less than 100MB of RAM on a system with 4GB or more. Even on a netbook with 1GB of RAM and Win7 x86 I have never found cause to close MSE

Tried MSE last night. Bad first experience...

1) It found two things, both false positives.
2) After finishing the first scan, MsMpEng.exe got stuck in an infinite loop or something and proceeded to eat 50% of my (quad core) processor until I concluded that it wasn't doing anything and killed it.

You're not supposed to "exit" it. It constantly scans/is on the look out without impacting performance in any way. Don't believe me? Do a couple benchmarks yourself to see. What were the false positives?

National Organization on Disability?

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Yes, in this thread about Antivirus software, I definitely meant to reference a disability organization. You are very perceptive, and deserve an award of some kind. This forum needs more posters like you; you truly are the epitome of "logical, forthright, and helpful poster of the year."

Google "nod," then read the first result.

On another (actually related) note- I think I might try MSE, since its free and has been given alright reviews so far.

(incidentally, google "mse," and read the first result; just in case you think I mean "Micro Solutions Enterprises," which is the second result).

not funny. your post lacks "funny."

Last edited:
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Yes, in this thread about Antivirus software, I definitely meant to reference a disability organization. You are very perceptive, and deserve an award of some kind. This forum needs more posters like you; you truly are the epitome of "logical, forthright, and helpful poster of the year."

Google "nod," then read the first result.

On another (actually related) note- I think I might try MSE, since its free and has been given alright reviews so far.

(incidentally, google "mse," and read the first result; just in case you think I mean "Micro Solutions Enterprises," which is the second result).

not funny. your post lacks "funny."

So technical now but why couldn't you just say "Nod32" the first time since there is no such thing as "NOD", well, unless...

Also, I would've thought MSE meant "Mean squared error" by the way. But thanks for the correction on an anti-virus acronym that I've been using since beta(before you could google it and find it without typing in Microsoft Security Essentials). But, thanks.

When someone says "Nod" in an antivirus thread, they obviously are referring to NOD32. You know this :rolleyes:

And, you would have thought MSE meant "mean squared error," in an antivirus thread???

Why would you think that?

Do you not know how to use context to determine the meaning of words? Are you a child? (those questions are rhetorical, just so you know. I want to make sure to spell that out, as you don't seem to be able to determine a writer's intent)

These forums are getting ridiculous with all these petty bullshit arguments started by people like you, who attempt to appear intelligent by deliberately disputing other people's statements knowing full well what the intent of the statements are.

I guess I just need to learn not to feed the "trolls," as they say.

When someone says "Nod" in an antivirus thread, they obviously are referring to NOD32. You know this :rolleyes:

And, you would have thought MSE meant "mean squared error," in an antivirus thread???

Do you not know how to use context to determine the meaning of words? Are you a child? (those questions are rhetorical, just so you know. I want to make sure to spell that out, as you don't seem to be able to determine a writer's intent)

These forums are getting ridiculous with all these petty bullshit arguments started by people like you, who attempt to appear intelligent by deliberately disputing other people's statements knowing full well what the intent of the statements are.

This ^^^^

The petty nonsense is getting annoying. This forum has always been a great source of information without the petty, childish behavior.

psssh nod32 - I use the real deal to protect my pc and tiberium harvesters:

kane.jpg

Anyway, I never really realized that AVG had such a poor reception. I've been using it now and have found it to be pretty good, but I'll have to try out some of the free alternatives. TBH, I'm not one for AV myself, I've never ran AV (honestly, the best AV is the user themself) and keep crazy backups instead. However, this is a desktop on a wired connection. Now I'm doing some international travel, I've lost that protection and my laptop is getting hit with shit from thumb drives, open wifi, etc. I've already gotten hit with one bug I picked up from a thumb drive.

Dude, ROFL. Go outside sometimes. This forum and it's people are fine. I think it's you that has the fucking issue. I was being sarcastic, get a life.

Honestly

Been putting MSE on lots of computers for people and testing it out a bunch.

Although I like AVG, each time there's a major release, they require the person to download the setup file again instead of just updating via the update service. Well, people are not doing this and are leaving AVG out of date.

However, I've found 3 issues with MSE so far.

1. It doesn't detect Antivirus Soft. SuperAntiSpyware does though.

2. It only works on WinXP if you have SP3. If you need to clean out WinXP SP1 (without wiping it) to make sure things are good before updating to SP3 and such, MSE can't help.

3. On any computer with less than 512MB of ram, MSE slows down the computer too much to keep it installed (even if realtime protection is off). *Lots* of 256'ers still floating around.

Besides that though, it's been working great and I'm more impressed with it now than I was before. I still don't consider it THE tool, but with the help of other tools, it does a pretty good job.

Depends on the variant...I've had it clean that one..the light blue background one?
If you come across a variant that it doesn't detect yet...help out MSE (just like you should with any AV brand)..submit the file to their team. Easily done with MSE, open it up, click on the "Help" drop down, select "Submit file.."
Opens a browser to a submit portal on their site.

Depends on the variant...I've had it clean that one..the light blue background one?

Yep.

If you come across a variant that it doesn't detect yet...help out MSE (just like you should with any AV brand)..submit the file to their team. Easily done with MSE, open it up, click on the "Help" drop down, select "Submit file.."
Opens a browser to a submit portal on their site.

Cool.

Been putting MSE on lots of computers for people and testing it out a bunch.

Although I like AVG, each time there's a major release, they require the person to download the setup file again instead of just updating via the update service. Well, people are not doing this and are leaving AVG out of date.

However, I've found 3 issues with MSE so far.

2. It only works on WinXP if you have SP3. If you need to clean out WinXP SP1 (without wiping it) to make sure things are good before updating to SP3 and such, MSE can't help.

3. On any computer with less than 512MB of ram, MSE slows down the computer too much to keep it installed (even if realtime protection is off). *Lots* of 256'ers still floating around.

Besides that though, it's been working great and I'm more impressed with it now than I was before. I still don't consider it THE tool, but with the help of other tools, it does a pretty good job.

I installed on XP Home SP2 it works fine..It got rid of regcure virus which NOD32 failed to detect..weird but MSE took care of it.

AVG is over rated and over hyped....

I've gone back to SAM (Symantec antivirus) - It's been good, but I just found out, and disabled, startup scan. On an older machine it kept doing this, and this slowed down boot up by quite a bit of time.

That's odd because the installer always says that it requires SP3 and won't install without it.

Unless they just changed in their latest release, just SP2 or higher. I've put it on plenty of rigs with sp2, although as we work on systems we bring any up to 3.
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/resources.aspx?mkt=en-us&s=1#mainNav

" Minimum system requirements for Microsoft Security Essentials

Operating System: Genuine Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows Vista (Gold, Service Pack 1, or Service Pack 2); Windows 7
..."

At the moment avast free edition. Was using Panda cloud free edition without problems for a year or so. Latest version completely trash my Windows8.1 OS drive (I later found out it was a well known blue screen problem in their forums). Couldn't recover had to do a complete clean install :mad:

At the moment avast free edition. Was using Panda cloud free edition without problems for a year or so. Latest version completely trash my Windows8.1 OS drive (I later found out it was a well known blue screen problem in their forums). Couldn't recover had to do a complete clean install :mad:

That's a five year bump

Did you just do a thread search for "anti virus" and then decide to reply to this without checking the date? :p

I actually would like this to be debating again. Alot changes in five years, is nod32 still really amazing?

I think so. I'm not normally the type of person to pay for an AV, but Nod32 IMO is worth every penny.

It's called standard forum etiquette to not pointlessly necrobump several year old threads like you did.

I would disagree when the original post is left open to variances and changes over time.

It would be pointless to create a new thread on the exact same subject, because then somebody would inevitably point out "dupe!" with a link to the 5 year old thread.

Plus, well, the subject matter is related to the OP, so it fits in the thread.

That said... I'm using a combination of Avast and Avira.

Back