What capabilities do new laptops have?

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought a new ASUS Sandy bridge notebook (X43 series x43SV-VC083V)

In the catalog is just says 502.11 b/g/n and the manual doesn't say anything more than that.

**** I went into device manager and found Atheros AR9002WB-1NG, however a Google search did seem to provide any more information.

I'm in China currently so I'm looking at a TP-link

wireless N 150M - TP-LINK TL-WR740N 150M = 15 USD
wireless N 300M - TP-LINK TL-WR841N 300M wifi = 22USD

So does anyone know if I can get the Wireless N 300M from with the integrated network card? And does anyone have a recommendation for a TP-Link wireless N router to support a notebook and a few smart phones.

Last edited:
One quick way without having to leave your laptop for research, look at the properties of your wireless adapter, configure, advanced tab...drop down menu for wireless mode...which ones are listed?

Based on the catalog, you mention it supports N, and I don't know of any currently new model laptops that don't come with N over the past couple of years.

Thanks devin_m for the link,

General Information Wireless-N is provided by a BaseBand / MAC / Radio single-chip; 1-stream 802.11bgn by the AR9285 (up to 150 Mbps bandwidth), and 2-stream 802.11bgn by the AR9287 (up to 300 Mbps bandwidth). The same chip also provides the PCI Express 1.1 Host interface. Bluetooth is provided by an AR3100 chip; Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR on issue, upgradeable to Bluetooth 3.0.

So that means that it can handle 300 Mbps with a 2-stream mode correct? I don't really understand all of that and a quick search didn't clarify anything and neither did comparing 2 vs 3 antenna designs

Look at the stickers on the bottom of the laptop, you should see one for this Atheros card displaying its FCC ID. Please post that here.

Since it was advertised as "b/g/n" it will only support 2.4GHz networks, not 5GHz. In other words, it is a single band device. It is a one-stream device (1x1:1) so it will top out at 150Mbps if you can get it to use channel bonding (40MHz bandwidth mode).

Product Bulletin from Atheros, yours likely is just missing the bluetooth as devin_m said.

Why are you stuck on TP-LINK products? Your laptop will connect to any 802.11b/g/n compliant router.

i just checked, no FCC sticker on the bottom, I bought it in HK, not sure if they use them.

I'm going with TP-Link products because they are about 1/4 of the price of other brands.

The TP-LINK-TL-WR841N 300M which is on sale for $34 + shipping in the US is $22 shipped in China
The D-Link DIR-655 in comparison is $99 on sale for $69 + shipping in the US is $93 shipped in China

I don't see a point when looking at the price difference.
I'm currently running an older TP-link G+ model and haven't had any troubles with it.

Last edited:
Back