What cards nvidia/ati actually utilize x16 besides the gtx295

scgt1

Supreme [H]ardness
What gpus are out or coming out that actually utilize the full x16 from a pci-e lane besides the gtx295 from the gtx200 series of cards?
Trying to find if out the extra cash for a board that doesn't choke lanes down in sli is worth it. I was looking more or less to betray nvidia and go ati for the first time considering nvidia isn't sounding well too sound to say the least. Not to mention their research is going in the wrong direction for my taste. But its all going to depend on when this illusive 300 series card comes out. I've been waiting for the price point of the 5870/5890 x2 to be honest considdering the hd5890 if you can get one seems to be smoking ass fast.

What gpus are out or coming out that actually utilize the full x16 from a pci-e lane besides the gtx295 from the gtx200 series of cards?
Trying to find if out the extra cash for a board that doesn't choke lanes down in sli is worth it. I was looking more or less to betray nvidia and go ati for the first time considering nvidia isn't sounding well too sound to say the least. Not to mention their research is going in the wrong direction for my taste. But its all going to depend on when this illusive 300 series card comes out. I've been waiting for the price point of the 5870/5890 x2 to be honest considdering the hd5890 if you can get one seems to be smoking ass fast.

The 5870 accually does a LIL bit.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3649

Lots of info at the link

so all that actually means what? That there isn't much difference in performance for the 5870 in 8x vs 16x. let alone much @ 4x either.

Thats actually PCI-E 2.0,

so thats actually x16 and x32 (respectively towards PCI-E 1.0 that i think the OP is talking about)

So if you are running PCI-E 1.0 @ 16x you will be starting to be limited a little bit...

so all that actually means what? That there isn't much difference in performance for the 5870 in 8x vs 16x. let alone much @ 4x either.
What is means is most games don't require that much PCI-E bandwidth to make a big difference, though I'm sure there are some titles that do require that extra bandwidth.

COD4 is one of those titles, but considering the avg FPS it really doesn't matter much.
cod4_1680_1050.gif

callofduty4.png

With DX11's tessellation we might start seeing less need for the extra bandwidth, but who knows.

What is means is most games don't require that much PCI-E bandwidth to make a big difference, though I'm sure there are some titles that do require that extra bandwidth.

COD4 is one of those titles, but considering the avg FPS it really doesn't matter much.
cod4_1680_1050.gif

callofduty4.png

With DX11's tessellation we might start seeing less need for the extra bandwidth, but who knows.

I was more or less refering to benchmark purposes vs gaming.

Back