what could cause this kind of tempature difference?

TheQuestor

Limp Gawd
I have a Q6600 and I'm baffled by something.
Are my cores not dissipating the heat through the top shield well enough?
At idle,
Using the latest Everest, and viewing at bios.
Motherboard 97F
CPU: 90F
Core0 : 108F
Core1: 107F
Core2: 97F
Core3: 99F

Now I fully understand why a particular core or branch of cores will run hotter then the other(s) but why is there such a difference between the "CPU 90F" and CoreX with an average of 102F. Now true those numbers aren't terrible on thier own, and even under heavy load they never reach 118F which I am totally happy with. I just wonder which diode is reading 90 and why.

Try to remount the block since it's possible it have more pressure on a side.

Isn't the cpu temperature external and the core temperature internal? It's normal there should be at least some delta in the temperatures. At least on my system there always has been

Quite normal as there is two sperate dies on the package. Each die will react to Vcore differently. I have about a 6c difference in temps across the seperate dies.

Try a couple of mounts and see if it changes, but dont sweat it if it does not get better.

Mine does the same thing after five or six remounts..... Don't sweat it too much.

Thanks for the replies all. but I don't care about the differences between cores, I am worried about the difference [of up to 20 degrees F] between the top Reading (CPU) and the core temps. 5 to 10 degrees diff per core is common since some cores are working harder than others. I'm just wondering which "diode" not "core" that is used to determine that overall "CPU" temp reading. Its odd to me that it is about 10 degrees lower than ambient, yet the cores show about 10 degrees above ambient.

Thanks for the replies all. but I don't care about the differences between cores, I am worried about the difference [of up to 20 degrees F] between the top Reading (CPU) and the core temps. 5 to 10 degrees diff per core is common since some cores are working harder than others. I'm just wondering which "diode" not "core" that is used to determine that overall "CPU" temp reading. Its odd to me that it is about 10 degrees lower than ambient, yet the cores show about 10 degrees above ambient.
One temp is Tcae the other is Tjunction.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-temperature-guide

Back