What DDR3 do you use on your AM3 board?

Sprtfan

Limp Gawd
I have had some problems with some OCZ that is on the Gigabyte compatibility list. It will run fine on my friends I7 system but I get errors on mine.
I just wanted to see what others are using and having no problems passing Memtest with. It could be an issue with the motherboard but I'd rather try to see if it is a problem with the ram I got first.

What kind of OCZ memory are you using?

I built a family friend an AMD rig using OCZ PC3-12800 "Black Edition" ram and didn't have any issues.

I have tried OCZ3G1333LV4GK and OCZ3G1600LV6GK. The 1600 is on the supported list and it will not pass memtest and windows will freeze or BSD when I use it. The 1333 is not on the supported list but I can at get into windows and seems to work fine. When I run memtest with it though I usually get an error with in a few hours.
I have tried everything from the default motherboard setting to what was recommended on OCZ support forum. I find it hard to believe that I have 5 bad sticks of ram and thought it might be a compatibility issue. Maybe its a problem with the motherboard? I'd still like to try another set of ram since sending the mobo back would be a real pain in the ass and leave me with out a system for weeks. Thanks

I have tried OCZ3G1333LV4GK and OCZ3G1600LV6GK. The 1600 is on the supported list and it will not pass memtest and windows will freeze or BSD when I use it. The 1333 is not on the supported list but I can at get into windows and seems to work fine. When I run memtest with it though I usually get an error with in a few hours.
I have tried everything from the default motherboard setting to what was recommended on OCZ support forum. I find it hard to believe that I have 5 bad sticks of ram and thought it might be a compatibility issue. Maybe its a problem with the motherboard? I'd still like to try another set of ram since sending the mobo back would be a real pain in the ass and leave me with out a system for weeks. Thanks

What model mobo do you have?

Have you tried sticks from different manufacturers?

I have a GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 The only memory I have tried is the two different OCZ kits

I've got the 790fxta-ud5 which is basically the same board with 3 pcie slots and I'm running at 1600mhz with my ripjaws (8x multi) w/o issues.

I've got the 790fxta-ud5 which is basically the same board with 3 pcie slots and I'm running at 1600mhz with my ripjaws (8x multi) w/o issues.

Those look pretty good. My only concern would be the heat spreader on them. I have a Sunbeam cooler on the CPU and the fan over hangs the first dim slot. There is still enough room for most ram, but I'm afraid that the spreader on those might be to tall. Do they stick up much higher than other ram sticks?

Those look pretty good. My only concern would be the heat spreader on them. I have a Sunbeam cooler on the CPU and the fan over hangs the first dim slot. There is still enough room for most ram, but I'm afraid that the spreader on those might be to tall. Do they stick up much higher than other ram sticks?

Using my daughters plastic hello kitty ruler which is very precise mind you (lol), they were under 1 3/8th inch from the mb pcb to top of ramsink.

Are you populating all 4 RAM slots? I believe if you do not have a C3 processor you must run the ram at 1066 if you populate all 4 slots because of a processor errata.

Thanks, (I'm sure that the hello kitty ruler was manufactured to very precise standards and tested before being shipped so I have no question in its accuracy) I'll measure to see how much room I have when I get home. If those will be to tall, I might go with what gwarren linked.

Are you populating all 4 RAM slots? I believe if you do not have a C3 processor you must run the ram at 1066 if you populate all 4 slots because of a processor errata.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that. I'm having problems sometimes with only 1 stick installed. Right now have two sticks in slot 3 and 4 and seem stable while in windows but still fail memtest after a few hours..

I've got a Mushkin 4 GB (2 x 2) DDR3 1600 Blackline Dual Kit and it's working fine at 1600 with my 965 C3 :eek:

Back