What defines "Long-term [H] DCer"

wings2004

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

So I've been wondering this for a bit, when I drop in the DC FS/FT almost everyone has either two prices listed for "normal" vs "long term [H] DCer" or they have one price listed and they prefer to deal with a long term [H] DCer. Granted these terms are relative and I've seen it stated many different ways but that's what it boils down to. My question is what really does that mean? I've not been folding for long but I have been putting in good work with my 2600k trying to do good things for the cause but at what point do I cross that threshold into the special group?

The main reason I've asked this is I've been interested in getting a 4p system that's main job would be folding for the [H]orde, and it would have secondary (but equally important to me) jobs of acting as a Samba file & print server as well as if I can figure out how to make my MagicJack work with Wine, my home phone connection. These things really have a negligible impact to the processing of a system but to me if I would get a server I would want it to at least bring some positive impact to my network. I look at things posted in the DC FS/FT for 4p systems I'm sometimes interested at the long-term DCer price, and I fully intend on using this for folding for the [H]orde I just don't know if/when I'm eligible for the better deal. Is it based off points? Time? Intention to continue? Just wondering so I can set my goal and when I hit that plan on getting someone else's gently used 4p system (assuming someone is selling when I have cash to buy). Thanks for your time.

Wings

Last edited:
its relative to the person.. i think the current definition is anyone thats done over 50k or 100k points. basically the reason for it is to make sure the item being sold is actually going to some one that will use it for F@H and not just some random person trying to get a discount when it could of gone to some one else that would of actually used it for folding.

me ;).

oh wait, that make me an old folder...... poop.

I would probably look for more than 100K, as depending on the machine, that could be made in days. A few million should do it though... 10ish maybe. As sirmonkey says, its subjective to the person setting up the sale of the equipment.

Sorry, I was already in the window before I started typing... Consider myself learn'ed

I think you just have to ask the person selling.

Also you can get "aged" fairly quickly by responding in threads and being interactive. If you want to get to know people as quick as possible, spend some time in the IRC. Won't take long.

As Sir said. It is to keep the hardware folding for the [H]orde and to people that will pass on the deal when it comes time to sell hardware to other team members.

Last edited:
When you have purchased or consumed Beer and Tamales, while folding.

When your desk has enough spare parts to build another system.

When you can't remember not being afraid of the electric bill.

turretking.png
All hail FLECOM

Heh- that indicates that I have been upgraded to minion~!

excellent~

HAHAH that is epic, it took me a few to figure out what that was coming from but i got it now, sounds like FLECOM is a pretty damn [H]ard folder!

All hail FLECOM

From the mists of time, though not long ago
when GPU, SMP, Bigadv were yet to be known
While the WUs were small, and the points still few
from among the crowd arose those with a desire new
Increasing their contribution, that was their plan
and fulfilling that desire would test out their LAN
From adding boxen after boxen they would not cease
for t'was the only way their contribution to increase
first one hundred, then two hundred, and yet hundreds more
managing so many clients, knowing what they're in for
Quietly they set themselves to fulfilling their task
an occasional note of gratitude is all they would ask
The original folding farmers these proved to be
a better example does not exist for you or me
Those with the circumstances, try to fit the mold
of the Mighty Ones before, the Legends of Old
And whether your farm has many, a few, or just one
may all have their desire,
'Fold on!' til we're done

From the mists of time, though not long ago
when GPU, SMP, Bigadv were yet to be known
While the WUs were small, and the points still few
from among the crowd arose those with a desire new
Increasing their contribution, that was their plan
and fulfilling that desire would test out their LAN
From adding boxen after boxen they would not cease
for t'was the only way their contribution to increase
first one hundred, then two hundred, and yet hundreds more
managing so many clients, knowing what they're in for
Quietly they set themselves to fulfilling their task
an occasional note of gratitude is all they would ask
The original folding farmers these proved to be
a better example does not exist for you or me
Those with the circumstances, try to fit the mold
of the Mighty Ones before, the Legends of Old
And whether your farm has many, a few, or just one
may all have their desire,
'Fold on!' til we're done

A man that represents HALF of [H] folding power! (I believe he peaked at 40-45% of team output?). Don't forget there were more active members back then! (~1000+ active)

Respect to that

AssM@N/ROC
ps: someone correct me if i'm wrong, i wasn't around during the FLECOM supremecy

Back