What do you all use to cut holes in your case for fans?

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm adding a couple of 80mm fans, and 92mm fans this weekend, and need to drill the holes for them. What do you all use to cut holes in the case? Thanks :confused:

I never have extra cash when I go to mod, so all of my holes are done with a dremel. Luckily, I'm pretty decent. It just takes time. If I had the cash, I'd definately invest in some good hole saws. They're really the best tool for the job.

im in metals at school so i just go there to get anything i want. i can cut my own fan grills, holes, make my own HDD racks, even make an entrie case if i want, best part is its free cause teh scholl pays for raw material for clas and i just use the extra. My teacher realyl like computers and help me think of new ideas. were getting a CNC machine soon and a robotic plasma cutter to make my modding that much easier

not only do we have a metals lab thasts awesome, my school also has a graphics department thats one of the best in the state it jsut for those extra special touches that i could never do myself. last year i didnt even know thses rooms existed in our school, now i spend all my free time down there.

Personally use a Dremel, mainly cos it's the only suitable tool that I have at the moment. It takes a little extra effort finishing the edges of the cut, but usually worth the extra time IMO.
I'll be investing in some quality hole cutters in the next couple of days, and hoping that my B&D cordless drill is up to the job??

I also recently got a jigsaw, but I'm still not confident enough at using it to risk damaging my case.

(BTW I'll be getting the Dremel out this weekend to cut away some of those horrible pressed steel grids covering my fans, then replacing them with quality chrome grilles to improve air flow, and hopefully reduce the noise by a few more db)

i use a 73mm holesaw, i got at homedipot for like 15 bucks or so. ive found it works better then a dremel, for making perfect 80mm blowholes or intakes in cases, works for aluminum or steel cases without a problem :)

my father is a weilder and he says to use tin snips, aka sheet metal cutters; i tryed it and they work wonders once you get the hang of it.

Lt. Dan said:
I've been doing this a long time now and this is one of the quickest and cleanest way to do it if you have a drill press. The cutter is made by general tools and it sells at Home Depot for about $14.95 if I remember. Check this:
http://home.comcast.net/~dcalhoun15/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-1218355.html
Those are okay, but you've got to go slow and use some cooling oil. One of my friends burnt up a bit just like that because he was impatient. A hole saw is more expensive, but a better solution.

Dremel tool, fiberglass reinforced cutoff wheels, Flexshaft attachment when necessary. Results made smooth with grinding attachments and various grades of hobby sandpaper.

OKANG said:
Those are okay, but you've got to go slow and use some cooling oil. One of my friends burnt up a bit just like that because he was impatient. A hole saw is more expensive, but a better solution.

Did you miss the part where he said it was a 35 second job? I don't know about you, but if that thing is variable size (I think it is), then that's one hell of a deal and an awesome job too. Not to mention it will be really steady on that drill press.

Just a note about that tool that i showed yesterday. Make damn sure that whatever you want to cut is clamped securely to the drill press table. Also back up under the part with wood of some kind. Use lots of oil, and the slowest speed your drill press will go. The cutter is a standard 3/16" lathe tool bit. Just examine the angle of the tool and if you need to sharpen it make sure that you keep the tool cooled frequently with water. :eek:

Back