What do you make of this?

Swordfish45

Limp Gawd
I had a wierd expierience today, tell me your annalysis:

I was playing BF2 for about 20 minutes when the screen froze; however, my secconday monitor was still working and i could still talk to my boyz on Teamspeak, i also could hear realtime sound from bf2. I brought up the task manager and it claimed bf2 was not responding, i ended it, but then the screen flickered and it just went back to how it was, only the task manager was missing its outer dialouge box tabs and taskbar.

well, then i restarted, but shortly after post it said, "drive read error, press ctr-alt-del to reboot" i rebooted twice more to get the same message.

I shut it off, switched off the PSU, reseated the sata power and data cables to both drives on both ends.I let the system cool for a bit, although my processor was peaking only at 41C, and my vid card was only warm to the touch, and rebooted.

That fixed the problem. i got to windows, but my icons were mixed up, and my harddrives' indexies were all screwed up, i could tell because accessing files took a little while to warm up.

What happened?

I'd plan on a new hard drive or system board sometime soon, because it sounds like a bad controller or drive circuit board. Do you ever have a delayed write error message?

Did you actually find a loose connection or you just played with it and it worked?

it wasn't noticably loose, but it fixed it anyway. I have had write/read errors but thats something different- it only apperars in reference to my wireless network card on shutdown and gives me an adress error, some kind of priority screwup. I havn't touched the bios since i bought the Mobo, but MSI has informed me of new ones. and i am not up to date with vid card drivers. i should upgrade today.

Swordfish45 said:
it wasn't noticably loose, but it fixed it anyway. I have had write/read errors but thats something different- it only apperars in reference to my wireless network card on shutdown and gives me an adress error, some kind of priority screwup. I havn't touched the bios since i bought the Mobo, but MSI has informed me of new ones. and i am not up to date with vid card drivers. i should upgrade today.

You may have different problems than I had, but try using the 7x series nvidia driver. The multithreading in the 8x caused many, including myself, headaches with crashing. I even got a hard drive read problem too (I have your same mb and cpu).

OT: Have you ever gotten a read error when transferring data from drive to drive?

Back