what do you put your computer on?

peppergomez

2[H]4U
I've usually just kept my computer on the floor, but now I am living in a place with a carpet, and would like to get something very low off of the floor, hopefully with grates or openings for airflow, to keep the computer on. I am hoping there will also be less dust this way. It'd also be nice if I can keep a printer and my UPC power supply on it too. And if it offered some way of helping with intelligent cable management, that would also be helpful.

Any suggestions?

I'm on carpet and i place it on my desk.

A cool way to place your case, that i've seen, is to mount it on the wall or make a L-bracket shelf on wall studs. If you have a case with a windows or lights, it's visually appeasing and a great addition to decor in the room.

Unless the primary source of air input is the bottom of the case I see no reason why you cannot just set it on the carpet that is all I ever did where I had carpet. The worst thing I ever had was a computer on tile and it did not ground or something. Cause that PC would build a charge and if you touched it you would feel a low voltage shock running through you.

Sitting on the carpet. Both PCs listed in my signature. Not my laptop, it would hate me.

I've got a couple on the floor, but not on direct carpet. One is on an old shelf from a bookcase, and the other is inside a Vika Annefors table leg (ikea). My printer is on a small tv stand w/ wheels, also from ikea, but I dont see it on their site anymore. My UPS is on the carpet. Cable management is done with the Signum (ikea). My server is a CM TC01 original stacker w/ wheels, so thats directly on the carpet.

... The worst thing I ever had was a computer on tile and it did not ground or something. Cause that PC would build a charge and if you touched it you would feel a low voltage shock running through you.
The tile most likely had nothing to do with a charge building up on your PC case.

My computer desk has a little ledge that sticks out near the bottom for computers to be placed on. It's quite convenient really.

Most modern PC cases have rubber "feet" that also raise the case off the ground a bit so I imagine it won't kill you if you absolutely have to have your PC directly on the carpet, but it still helps to have it on something else. If I didn't have the ledge on my desk I'd probably use a piece of tile or hardwood that I have left over from some of the home remodeling that's been done to my house in the past couple of years.

If something has vent holes on the bottom, I put it on 12" square ceramic tiles. If it has a hard disk in it, I used the tiles to reduce wobbling.

I've got a couple on the floor, but not on direct carpet. One is on an old shelf from a bookcase, and the other is inside a Vika Annefors table leg (ikea). My printer is on a small tv stand w/ wheels, also from ikea, but I dont see it on their site anymore. My UPS is on the carpet. Cable management is done with the Signum (ikea). My server is a CM TC01 original stacker w/ wheels, so thats directly on the carpet.

The tile most likely had nothing to do with a charge building up on your PC case.

The tile was a really good insulator the same computer did not build a charge on a wood table or carpet. However I realize that it also means that there was a grounding issue with the computer or building. And if the grounding issue or some short was properly addressed the issue would not be a problem. LOL but that computer ran fine for almost 5 years before I canned it due to age.

I have a desk setup made for two PC's, the left and right side of the desk has a nice 'tray' that each PC sits on. Spent like $250~ on the desk and well worth it IMO.

It's on my desk at the moment, the NZXT Vulcan is pretty small. My NZXT Phantom had to go on the floor because it was too big and heavy.

The tile was a really good insulator the same computer did not build a charge on a wood table or carpet. However I realize that it also means that there was a grounding issue with the computer or building.

Or you're just a very hairy guy, making you an incredible generator of static electricity.

I set my case on our nappy shag carpet. It's an Antec P182, so no real airflow problems. If I had a case with any vents on the bottom, I'd cut a properly sized strip of plywood/mdf for the case to sit on. Maybe sand it and spraypaint it black to make it classy.

Direct on carpet here - but the again, I do not have anything pulling or attempting to pull air in from the bottom either.

Mine is on a seperate table next to my computer desk. More space for other things on the computer desk.

i have carpet but my dask has a space to put "computer cpu's"<<lol
that space is for the case or computer tower. it's like 3" from the carpet so im on a good level between
then carpet and my case.
i usually clean it 3 times a month but when i do it all the filters do it's job and that's why i don't have
too much dust inside and if i do is a really really thin layer.

my brother has his computer on the same room and he just put it on the carpet. he also has filters on his case and it doens't get too much dust but he varely cleans it inside.

I have a wire shelving unit next to my desk that I put the desktop, laptop, scanner, and a bunch of desky-stuff on. It works good for the laptop, as it can suck air through the wire. The laptop is still noisy, though.

I pulled the keyboard tray off an old desk and just set the computer on that. It sticks out a tad, but if I ever got around to using a jigsaw and round the corners, you wouldn't even know it's there....

Homemade platform about 4 to 6 inches off floor just about the same size as the bottom of the length and width of case.

On the Floor, theres no room on the desk since we moved.

Alternate answer 230V AC

Mine in on the floor, I put a wooden board on the bottom of it so the PSU fan isn't sucking up carpet. :)

Back