What do you reccomend to run in your water?

Suntar

Limp Gawd
I hear bleach works good, some people use water wetting, I also heard of using rad. coolant.

What mixtures do you guys use in your water cooling system?

Thanks

-Suntar

I dropped about 15mL of Valvoline Zerex into my loop (~1L total volume). Slightly pinkish and doesn't reek like Redline Water Wetter.

Small amount of antifreeze and distilled water. I had the same coolant running through my loop for about a year with minimal floaters and no corrosion.

bleach is bad since it can mess up your tubing and your pump parts.

use 10-20% antifreeze/ distilled water or buy hydrex or some other additive at websites such as xoxide or frozencpu

For at least the last year I've been running a mix of 1 cap water-wetter and 5 drops of betadine. Water is still completely clear, no crap is in it, and I haven't seen any buildup in the res (clear acrylic) from the water wetter.

When I replace the res/pump in my loop this weekend I'm going with HydrX from Swiftech. Partially because I don't want to void the warrantee of the MCP600........partially because it handles all that and is UV reactive....

Yes, probably eckerd, but I dont know what it will do to corrosion ect.

It will definitely stain something, that stuff never comes out.

Dammit Suntar, you should have just asked me (Stiffler)

I use Swiftech's HydrX solution. Takes about 3 bottles of it at $1 a pop with 3L of water for my setup. This stuff is supposed to work really well, and I haven't seen any problems yet...

PDX!

killernoodle said:
Yes, probably eckerd, but I dont know what it will do to corrosion ect.

It will definitely stain something, that stuff never comes out.

If you use it in too high quantities I could see that.....but 2-5 drops won't do anything like that. Hasn't to me and I've been running with it for a decent amount of time.

lol, stiffler! SPYEN ON TEH SUNTAR!!
i already have my water wetter and distilled water ready to be put in, i just wanted to see what every one else uses and how its worken for them.

PDX!!!

pdxlan.com
biggest lan in the nothwest!
Next lan, PDXLAN4.05 - 500 People
March 18-21 2005 (spring break)
$70,000 in prizes!

wo0ot!

Maximus825 said:
Dammit Suntar, you should have just asked me (Stiffler)

I use Swiftech's HydrX solution. Takes about 3 bottles of it at $1 a pop with 3L of water for my setup. This stuff is supposed to work really well, and I haven't seen any problems yet...

PDX!

where r u getting the hydrx for a buck? :confused:

NO!!! Do NOT use water wetter! It is not designed for watercooling. It leaves behind a thin layer that coats your entire loop. Water Wetter is the worst additive you can use...

TehQuick said:
where r u getting the hydrx for a buck? :confused:

I got it from Swiftech's online store. They must have been having a sale when I bought it because it's at $1.85 now..

I use a mixture of 30% coolant and 70% percent distilled water. This a is standard premix ratio from many watercooling vendors.

Maximus825 said:
NO!!! Do NOT use water wetter! It is not designed for watercooling. It leaves behind a thin layer that coats your entire loop. Water Wetter is the worst additive you can use...

Guys don't post crap like this if you can't back it up. All i see here is hearsay. Can you back this up? Can you look to see what the most common additive in watercooling is? It's waterwetter! I've been using this stuff for almost three years and it works wonderfully. It's a biocide, stops corrosion, it's clean, nonclumping, and thin. It does, however, smell like death and leave a pinkish tint. My watercooling system works great with it.
It's also nonconducive! Nobody ever mentions that part. I had a leak two years ago when I overtightened an acryllic top. All over the MB and video card. I truned it all off and dried it all out and lost NOTHING.
4oz WaterWetter to 1 gal water.

Do not use bleach either. From what I understand, it reacts with some metals and basically eats away at it, leaving a black residue in your liquid. I would also think that it would stain and/or eat at your tubing over time.

Personally, I use 5-10% antifreeze with distilled water. I also keep a drop or 2 of pinesol or lysol (liquid kind). I basically did this for experimentation, as for some reason I had growth even with 5-10% antifreeze (straight green stuff).

Do not use water-wetter. It stinks, and stains.

I also hear zerex and hydrex (sp?) are good, but I have not used them personally.

Good luck.

Stealth5325 said:
Guys don't post crap like this if you can't back it up. All i see here is hearsay. Can you back this up? Can you look to see what the most common additive in watercooling is? It's waterwetter! I've been using this stuff for almost three years and it works wonderfully. It's a biocide, stops corrosion, it's clean, nonclumping, and thin. It does, however, smell like death and leave a pinkish tint. My watercooling system works great with it.
It's also nonconducive! Nobody ever mentions that part. I had a leak two years ago when I overtightened an acryllic top. All over the MB and video card. I truned it all off and dried it all out and lost NOTHING.
4oz WaterWetter to 1 gal water.

You sir, need to do your homework. It CAN be backed up. It's been shown that Water Wetter leaves behind a thin pink coating, and this pink coating is NOT good. However, It's SUPPOSED to do this. Water Wetter was designed for applications outside of our watercooling. You do NOT want this to coat inside your pump, inside your waterblock or inside your rad. Go over the the ProCooling Forums, where all the WC junkies hang out. Each and every one of them will tell you the same thing. My friend took apart his loop at my house and I was able to see firsthand what Water Wetter does. Please don't spread your mal-information so that people who don't know better will take it as truth...

I have taken apart my watercooling loop, and, yes, I've seen this pink film. There's NOTHING to worry about. It's a thin film that prevents corrosion, and all corrosion inhibitors will have the same effect. Simply because they are not pink and therefore not as easy to see is not an indicator that they are not there. I'm a member over at procooling as well, and I see the same thoughts as I've just written. Nobody will find a corrosion inhibitor (with the exception of using all the same metal in your loop) that doesn't leave a film to prevent oxidation. Any watercooling quality pump will have no problems. If you don't like waterwetter, fine, but it's also a biocide. Works fantastically as an antioxidant and a biocide, cheap to get, never breaks down, non-corrosive, and slightly pink. Sounds like a good trade-off.

sigh, dangerden forgot my t-fitting and hose clamps

they always forget something, then when i email them about it they act like its my fault :mad:

same thing as my zerex...those bastards :p, JKJK, any person working for them here, i love them hehe

Water Wetter is evil....Please read the article i had posted earlier in this post..

It slowly disolves certian types of acrylic and plastics....

PLEASE READ

-Vi

Don't be so quick to call stuff evil. Here is what the article says about Water Wetter:

"What is clear, though, is that they are both small molecule, strong organic solvents, which could have detrimental affects on some plastics. This coincides with reports I have received from people experiencing problems when using Water-Wetter in systems that have Plexiglas (acrylic) reservoirs - significant crack formation and splitting joints. The ethers may also be related to the slimy coating reported by some that builds up on the inside surface of certain types of tubing (?)."

That doesn't sound like any sort of evidence to me at all. He is saying that some of those solvents COULD have a bad effect on SOME types of plastics. Nowhere in that article does it say that it slowly dissolves anything. Also....the reports of acrylic reservoirs cracking and splitting joints...well....I've had lots of acrylic things crack on me and I've never even used Water Wetter. That stuff cracks fairly easily...overtighten a bolt and it's toast. The joints also seem to be the easiest places to crack overall.

Someone should really look into this. If you're worried about using it and already own some...call Redline up and see what they say about it (or just don't use it I guess). Also....if anyone has an extra bottle laying around and some time to kill....put it in something with some acrylic in it...or other types of plastic and see what happens. Should be interesting. Considering that it's sold along with water cooling parts all the time, it could possibly be a serious problem. I doubt it though.
That article is great btw.

Back