What do you run as? Admin or User

Northbridge

Limp Gawd
Just wondering what everyone uses for their daily business. I’ve heard many times that you shouldn’t run as administrator and yet I still do. Maybe its time to change.

User. I have two user accounts. My "end user" account and my admin account that is part of the "enterprise admin" group. Too much risking running my admin account for everyday work.

I run as a user. Picked it up after playing with Linux. Annoying at times. Vista made it more tolerable than XP, but either way at least I know it is damn near impossible to hose my entire install :)

Admin + not being a moron = safe. Nod 32 is also around even tho i dont really need it.

Vista with UAC enabled, so effectively I'm really running as a 'Limited user', even though it's an 'Administrator' account..

User account. There's no reason to use an admin account for day to day tasks.

Admin with UAC turned off.
I like to live dangerously...
lol

QFT.......... I can't stand running as a non-admin user, it seems like everything I try and do requires me to log out and log back in as an admin anyways............ and besides, I am the only person who uses my systems, so anything that gets screwed with gets that way because I meant to.................

my biggest issues are like, battlefield 2 needing to be ran as admin or it cant find the cdkey and other games doing that. it just gets so annoying to deal with it. I have to install things as admin, then sometimes it only makes icons in the admin account then i have to go make icons myself etc etc. It gets old

user...

i have an admin account i use if i need to do system changes or usual maint. in fact the only time i use UAC while i'm logged in a regular user is when i install something or run a game. otherwise i rarely see it.

and then i have a guest account for my mom to use when she needs it. whats funny is that she has had zero problems adjusting to vista from using XP at work. and what i mean by that is, she seems to lose computer knowledge when she comes home. no questions like "whats this blue orb in the bottom corner" or "how do you do this or get to that" all i did was set the start menu to classic and make the icons bigger on the desktop and she has no problem using it. i was honestly surprised lol

To the OP, I think this question should have included a part on the OS. Depending on if the person is using XP or Vista, the answers will be different.

I am guilty of using admin account too much. I have been learning more and more reasons to use a limited account, so I have been logging onto my limited account more.

Admin only. My machine, I want to do what I want to do without prompts, passwords, etc

Admin. I don't want my computer telling me what I can and can't do, and I can't be bothered to change accounts.

I own the computer, it doesn't own me - and I've never had a problem with it.

I also don't run antivirus or a firewall, and never had an infection.

Common sense goes a looonnngggg way.

I never knew you could turn UAC off, too bad i'm not using Vista anymore.

User under Xp.. I seldom need admin privileges.. Except during initial setup and driver updates, and installing some games..

The better question would be:

Do you:
1: Run as admin user at work
2: Run as admin user at home
3: Run as admin user at home and work
4: Run as limited user at home and work

And as a follow up:
Do you manage a business related IT system? YES/NO

It would be interesting to see how many "YES"'s chose 1 or 3.

I always run Admin. I like having every option avaliable to me. I feel confident enough in my skills where I wont mess anything up. I just switched to Vista and man UAC is annoying me. I turned it off, but then I get the security warning saying its disabled and that annoyed me more so I turned it back on.

Admin for Windows (XP). User for Linux.

I like limited accounts but I can't stand log off -> log on -> log off -> log on just to install something or tweak some settings.

I am a linux user that runs his windows computer as admin:). Of course I run linux as a user though, I dont want to delete /etc or /usr folders on accident.

In linux I think it is far more improtant to run your computer as a usr, since its way way to easy to delete your whole computer with a slip of the finger. I have deleted /usr folder on accident requiring a reinstall of the os far to many times. Don't run as root, asking for trouble doing so.

Vista admin with UAC on. Though I think about turning it off at least once a day. :)

The better question would be:

Do you:
1: Run as admin user at work
2: Run as admin user at home
3: Run as admin user at home and work
4: Run as limited user at home and work

And as a follow up:
Do you manage a business related IT system? YES/NO

It would be interesting to see how many "YES"'s chose 1 or 3.

Vista is run on my home PC all the time- not much of an issue as everything is limited anyway.
On an XP Workstation- I have an Administrator account locally. I do way too many changes to the system on my PC to be running on limited access. For a home user- I still recommend Limited as long as there are other Admin-level accounts if something needs to change.
My domain account is only set as Domain Admin. Higher than what I prefer (Domain User), but the NOD32 Administration Console requires Domain Admin rights- so I really have no choice.

I would chose the YES option to managing a Business related IT system. I can guarantee you anyone who actually DOES manage any system that matters employs the "least privaledge needed" rule.

I would chose the YES option to managing a Business related IT system. I can guarantee you anyone who actually DOES manage any system that matters employs the "least privaledge needed" rule.
I run as the domain admin on my work network. I do far too many admin related tasks NOT to have my account be of admin level. I also have the regular domain admin account, renamed and with a strong password.

I run as the domain admin on my work network. I do far too many admin related tasks NOT to have my account be of admin level. I also have the regular domain admin account, renamed and with a strong password.

Yes, but you aren't the full blown Administrator with default name ;)

How come "God of all that I survey" isn't an option in this pseudo-poll? :D

Sorry, couldn't pass it up. Under XP and previous versions of Windows, I always use Admin-level user accounts - go figure that one out. :) Under Vista everyone is a User so it's not an issue. Under Linux, same thing, just a User with elevation as required, and OSX in the time I messed with it again, User with elevation as required.

Sorry, couldn't pass it up. Under XP and previous versions of Windows, I always use Admin-level user accounts - go figure that one out. :)

Same here. I think alot of it has something to do with how big of a pain XP was with the "Limited" accounts (Plus it didn't really offer much more security than running as Admin anyways- at least compared to Vista).

At any rate- with something that is done "right"- that makes it easy to run what you need as Administrator- I think there should be no excuse for running as Administrator.

Admin. I don't want my computer telling me what I can and can't do, and I can't be bothered to change accounts.

I own the computer, it doesn't own me - and I've never had a problem with it.

I also don't run antivirus or a firewall, and never had an infection.

Common sense goes a looonnngggg way.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, common sense goes a long way. Start using some.

You don't run antivirus or firewall software, HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNWO IF YOU'VE BEEN INFECTED?

HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNWO IF YOU'VE BEEN INFECTED?

lol- great question. That's the question I ask everyone that has that mentality. It just cannot be beat. They may counter with "I ran an online scan", but that's just pretty darn much admitance to the fact they they are vulnerable to attacks.

"My computer doesn't own me"- true. But a virus can own all your bank account logon information, if you've ever thought about that.

No offense meant, but anyone and I mean anyone that has the balls to say "I've never had a problem with it" when referring to computers is either: a) fucking stupid or b) fucking dumber than fucking stupid. Take your pick. :)

Back