What do you think of this?

BoogerB

Limp Gawd
Tell me what you think of this system please. Also if there is something I could do cheaper that would be great, I'm thinking 80gig or so for now and upgrade later. May just get a CDRW instead of the DVD RW for now aswell.

I still need to add XP to it, and maybe a floppy. I might not get that PSU, but for the price I think it should work for now.

I may go with the abit ic7 max 3

I also have a pretty similar setup useing a 2500+ and the DFI board (opinions on another very welcome)

Keep in mind I would like to overclock, however I'm not looking to have the badest system ever, if you couldn't tell already.

I do have an idea on a SFF too, as soon as i get that link i'll post it. but im straying away from that for some reason.

Anyway sorry its long, but thanks for any input you may have.

Thanks again
Brandon

Sorry, my psychic powers are a little weak today (long story...)

On what system would you like our opinions?

Originally posted by fear
Sorry, my psychic powers are a little weak today (long story...)

On what system would you like our opinions?

hahahahahahahahahahahaaa :D :D :p

I think his sig partially explains things:

"Back again... been gone for a few years now..."

(I believe this refers to abduction by aliens)

Yea well...

Don't do 512... go with a gig of memory...

and with that motherboard you don't need a soundcard.

No need for the four port gigabit card. No really. Unless you are running a server.

If your running a server loose the 9600xt you don't really need it.

And please don't do that with your drives. Get the sata raptors and raid them. Raiding IDE drives is so old school it isn't even funny any more.

I would not get that power supply. Antec's lower end units seem to be nothing special. I'd get a fortron 400, either this one or this one with blue LED fan.

I also would not get that hard drive. Western Digital can keep their noisy ball bearings, I don't care how good the drives are. I'd get this Hitachi 160gb though (note the price) :cool:

I'd also get the NEC 8x dvdrw not only because i think it would be better, but it's also cheaper and comes with Easy CD&DVD Creator 6

I'd probably also get a different motherboard as I don't really like to pay more than $150 for any motherboard (especially when they can be had for much less), but that motherboard does come with some nice accessories, not a bad choice at all (although I have no idea how it performs either).

Benny, thanks for the info. I'm going for a pretty quiet pc. I was going to go with the DFI board, b/c I've never heard anything bad about them. The Abit board looks better b/c of the 6 SATA ports.
I'll probably switch to the other dvd in a few.

Any other way I could save some change?

Also what about getting a frozencpu PSU? is the cost of their sleeved psus worth it? I'd have no problem doing the mods myself, but if its cost effective to buy it pre sleeved then I'll go that route.

I've heard the true power were pretty good, did I not put a true power in there?

Keep in mind, I have no idea on this newer stuff.... just what i've read on here.

More opinions welcome.

Thanks again.

If you really are looking to save some change, I'd consider something with a 865 chipset like the Abit IS7... but in all honesty I don't keep up with intel so much, so maybe there's a better choice than the IS7 now.. but I know it is a great board anyway. And $95 is a sweet price for a great motherboard :cool:

Regarding Antec power supplies, I am not fully knowledgable about them, but I just read a review that showed less than impressive results from a Antec TruePower 480... But it surely could have been a fluke. I believe all their TruePower series have individual dedicated output circuitry for 3.3/5/12v lines, which I guess almost no other psu has... Check it out for yourself HERE

Many people swear by them, but I'd personally still get the fortron. I've read more than one good review on them, and I prefer the 120mm fan design.

Instead of 9600 pro, I would suggest you to get 9700 pro, much faster and not much more. Make sure its Pro, not SE or anything else. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=0&submit=Go&description=9700,pro

If you really want to play newest games, I would suggest getting 9800 Pro. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=0&submit=Go&description=9800,pro

It is more expensive but it will last you for a while.

On a hard drive, if you want to save money and get as much space as possible. Go with this one, http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=304907&pfp=BROWSE

If you're getting DVD+-RW then you don't need dvd-rom because DVD+-RW has the same functions.

You should get a little bigger case from antec with a good power supply from antec. About ~380 watts or higher.

Hopefully that helps

For performance's sake, I suggest getting two 80 GB drives and putting them in a striped RAID-0 array. Nearly double your throughput for program loads and file read/writes.

Maybe two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-145-049&catalog=14&depa=0

or two of these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-019&catalog=14&depa=0

Not much more than your original drive, though less capacity. Should be a very noticeable speed improvement though.

BB

How would installing Xp for the first time be on 2 drives? very hard?

I'm still up in the air on what I'll get. Somewhat thinking SFF and somewhat thinking the intell... and still got amd choices...

ehhhh crap

Thanks for the info again.

Back