What does it take to make my own extender?

J-Will

[H]ard|Gawd
Dont get me wrong, with the recent launch of Ceton's Echo I am very happy to see another extender on the market. However, I have computer parts and would rather keep the versitility of the parts over buying a device with a specified role in life. I assume all I need is some piece of software (particular OS, plug-in, patch, setting, etc) that allows for the extender capabilities and hardware that meets the min reqs... which cant be that much because the 360 and Echo are capable.

in short you can't make one, which is lame. You would think a full copy of windows media center would be able to act as an extender, but it can't.

You have to buy a manufactured extender.

What extender capabilities do you require? If you are wanting cable card/protected content extender functionality, then you are boned and have to buy the "single purpose device".

The now defunct Snaptream BeyondTV and SageTV products both offered "extender" like functionality on PCs (including libraries and centralized guide/recording), but they both won't do cable card (nor can you really get them anymore). I ran a BeyondTV setup for many years until I switched over to MCE for cable card tuning.

What extender capabilities do you require? If you are wanting cable card/protected content extender functionality, then you are boned and have to buy the "single purpose device".

The now defunct Snaptream BeyondTV and SageTV products both offered "extender" like functionality on PCs (including libraries and centralized guide/recording), but they both won't do cable card (nor can you really get them anymore). I ran a BeyondTV setup for many years until I switched over to MCE for cable card tuning.

I do need cable card functionality. How is it a manufacturer can build an extender but enthusiasts cannot? There has to be something we are missing as I do not believe Ceton went out and built from the ground up totally custom software in order to turn their device (which is really just a computer) into an extender.

I do need cable card functionality. How is it a manufacturer can build an extender but enthusiasts cannot? There has to be something we are missing as I do not believe Ceton went out and built from the ground up totally custom software in order to turn their device (which is really just a computer) into an extender.

Cable Labs along with all of the network/content owners is who you can direct your rage at. They don't want you copying their stuff.

Cable Labs along with all of the network/content owners is who you can direct your rage at. They don't want you copying their stuff.

I understand that. I guess my question boils down to: what makes an extender?

In my research I have come across 'Soft Sled' which looks appealing... but is also non-existant

they can build it because microsoft gives them the software/specs & keys to do so. You don't have the agreements with ms to do so.

Just get a xbox360 slim +remote, works great as an extender.

Back