What does this error mean? (B650 Aorus Elite AX)

Cannibal Corpse

[H]ard|Gawd
I put this system together this morning, and when I turned it on, I could not get any video signal, and it would not go into POST (hear any beeps). Tried at least five or 6 times, so I decided to re-seat the CPU (which was *correctly* seated to begin with), and turned the system back on again. After a 10 seconds delay, I finally heard the POST beep, and was presented with this message. I typed "Y" to bypass it, and the system seem be working fine.

Here my system specs (ignore my signature, as I am about to update it soon):
CPU: Ryzen 7800X3D
RAM: 32GB DDR5-6000
GPU: RTX 4060Ti
PSU: SEASONIC 850W Prime Titanium PSU (remains the same)
SOUND: CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR Sound Card (remains the same)

HDD: Gen 4 1TB SAMSUNG Evo 970

I am just curious as to why I got this message, and what does this mean? I hope my CPU and MoBo are OK.

Attachments

• IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 0
You got the message because as far as the motherboard is concerned, you've installed a new CPU. The "fTPM" is the firmware Trusted Platform Module that holds stuff like encryption keys at the hardware / firmware level. The data is tied to a CPU; the message is there to make sure that you don't lose data if you have encrypted data that relies on the fTPM keys.

The correct answer in your case was Y.

Thanks for your response. What I don’t understand is that how can someone has encryption data on a brand new system.
Does the motherboard flags any new cpu install, even though on CMOS there was no record of prior cpu?

your cpu wasnt seated properly, now it is and its being recognized correctly. just ignore that message and carry on.

Thanks for your response. What I don’t understand is that how can someone has encryption data on a brand new system.

The message doesn't know whether you do or don't have data at risk. This lack of knowledge is part of the fTPM security, I guess. Anyway, read the message not as "you will have a problem", rather read it as "I have no prior knowledge and you MIGHT have a problem."

Does the motherboard flags any new cpu install, even though on CMOS there was no record of prior cpu?
During boot, the fTPM software more or less tries to use the cpu's per-device key to decrypt the data saved in bios non volatile storage. If that section of the storage is all zeros, that's going to fail, the same as if there was data encrypted by another cpu's per-device key.

Edit: even if they can tell there's no data, one error message that covers everything means one less Engrish string to put in.

I put this system together this morning, and when I turned it on, I could not get any video signal, and it would not go into POST (hear any beeps). Tried at least five or 6 times, so I decided to re-seat the CPU (which was *correctly* seated to begin with), and turned the system back on again. After a 10 seconds delay, I finally heard the POST beep, and was presented with this message. I typed "Y" to bypass it, and the system seem be working fine.

Here my system specs (ignore my signature, as I am about to update it soon):
CPU: Ryzen 7800X3D
RAM: 32GB DDR5-6000
GPU: RTX 4060Ti
PSU: SEASONIC 850W Prime Titanium PSU (remains the same)
SOUND: CREATIVE Sound Blaster ZxR Sound Card (remains the same)

HDD: Gen 4 1TB SAMSUNG Evo 970

I am just curious as to why I got this message, and what does this mean? I hope my CPU and MoBo are OK.

You get that on any AM5 board that you put a new CPU in. The fTPM is blank so it counts the same as not having the key, basically its telling you IF you were using bitlocker or some other type of security in a Windows installation you would lose your data by doing what you're trying to do (in this case putting a new CPU whose signature is not recorded). The whole thing is mentally handicapped because basically no home user bothers with it, but you can't get away from it if you want Windows 11. fTPM is an emulation anyways, although you can buy real TPM modules to put on your motherboard header for that.

During boot, the fTPM software more or less tries to use the cpu's per-device key to decrypt the data saved in bios non volatile storage. If that section of the storage is all zeros, that's going to fail, the same as if there was data encrypted by another cpu's per-device key.

Edit: even if they can tell there's no data, one error message that covers everything means one less Engrish string to put in.
OK, thanks!

Back