What DVI-D cable do you use?

brachy33

Gawd
I am investigating all the different brands of DVI-D cables to upgrade the cables that came with my 2007FP monitors. However, all the cables I have since found are $100 for a decent 2m DVI-D cable.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good e-tailer that sells good quality DVI-D cables for good prices??

This is the cable I personally like so far, although its def not cheap:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/p...&pf_id=7812&sku=KKDVI.75&selAttribute_1=2.0+M

EDIT: LOL! I guess this would work fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812189047

i just use the cable supplied by dell, I think it was jacuzzi who bought a high end cable and compared it with dell's, no diff from what he can see. Which is good enough for me!! :D

Hey thanks! The cables from Monoprice have good specs and appear to be quality made. I suppose a general upgrade from the stock Dell DVI-D would be a little better, at least in build quality. I'm sure some would argue otherwise...

Sorry to hijack here:

I have a DVI-D single link hooking up my VX20205WM to my 7800GTX. Would I see a difference in using a dual link cable? Is it needed? Or is dual link only for Apple Cinema displays and the 3007FPW?

Dillusion said:
Sorry to hijack here:

I have a DVI-D single link hooking up my VX20205WM to my 7800GTX. Would I see a difference in using a dual link cable? Is it needed? Or is dual link only for Apple Cinema displays and the 3007FPW?

Found this info, but I don't know if it would really improve your visual quality from the single link. Could be worth testing!

"WHAT ARE SINGLE AND DUAL LINKS ?

The Digital formats are available in DVI-D Single-Link and Dual-Link as well as DVI-I Single-Link and Dual-Link format connectors. These DVI cables send information using a digital information format called TMDS (transition minimized differential signaling). Single link cables use one TMDS 165Mhz transmitter, while dual links use two. The dual link DVI pins effectively double the power of transmission and provide an increase of speed and signal quality; i.e. a DVI single link 60-Hz LCD can display a resolution of 1920 x 1080, while a DVI dual link can display a resolution of 2048 x 1536."

Link: http://www.datapro.net/techinfo/dvi_info.html

Dual link only does something if you have a dual link monitor. On a single link monitor there will be nothing connected to the dual link pins. (A dual link cable has an extra set of pin connections for the extra link). Dual link cable does nothing for any monitor below 2.5 Million Pixels. 24" 1920x1200 is 2.3 Million Pixels.

Only the Apple and Dell 30" (4 Million pixels) so far use dual link. It is simply unconnected in other lesser monitors.

Spending a lot of money on cable used to transmit digital information is pointless (analogue is another matter).

Don't get cables with gold plated connectors unless the equipment you intend to plug them into also feature gold plated connectors. You'll just make them more prone to corrosion.

DefineByte said:
Spending a lot of money on cable used to transmit digital information is pointless (analogue is another matter). Don't get cables with gold plated connectors unless the equipment you intend to plug them into also feature gold plated connectors. You'll just make them more prone to corrosion.

That's a good point. Dig interconnects shouldn't be susceptible to EMI/RF. Well, I think the basic DVI-D cable from The Egg should work fine.

Back