What failed on this drive?

KingPariah777

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an 80 gig Western Digital that has been corrupting data for over a year...

recently my computer just blue screened and restarted...it repeated this, never loading windows completely, and blue screening every time, until I removed my 80 gig drive. (it was a secondary drive).

I reconnected the drive once, a little while later, and the machine booted up, but would not show the drive in windows. The BIOS boot screen, however, did show the drive.

So:

Do you think this was caused by the board on the drive going bad, or an actual physical problem that the drive is having ie. crashed heads, etc...?

Well at first it sounded like the problem I had with my old IBM Desk(Death)Star. One day it would simply not get past the intial windows load bar. Always "break out" right near the end. Reason behind mine was a corrupted boot sector. Used the Disk to re-write them (lost all the data) the drive worked, but continually made noise. Pretty much, I don't use that drive anymore.. So, might be some bad sectors on that drive that need repairing.

Oh yeah, you might want to check your connections. Maybe you forgot the IDE Cable or the power!! I know I did that once and was confused for about 2 hours wondering why the hell my CDROM wasn't working. :rolleyes: Silly me.

I have the same hard drive and it just happend to me... it said a ntoskrnl.exe file was corrupt but it never said it again... I would check the cables and/or get your os cds and replace all corrupted files. I'm still trying to resolve this problem.

Back