What fan to look for on the BFG 6800 GT OC?

FusionXP

Limp Gawd
What fan configuration is better on the BFG 6800 GT OC, the dual fan configuration or the single? Which one of these is the current version?

Also can this card be safely overclocked beyond it's already overclock to run at the Ultra's speeds? Would this also mean that the power supply requirement would rise from 300W to 480W to reflect the Ultra's speeds?

Thanks

Anyone please? In case you don't understand the question. Here is what I'm talking about....

BFG 6800 GT OC with one fan. (Source: nV News)
gt_card.jpg

BFG 6800 GT OC with two fans. (Source: Adrian's Rojak Pot)
bfg6800gt_oc_big.jpg

What is the latest version?

The PCI-express GTs are newer than both of those AGP cards and they use the same stock cooler as the card in the top pic. I don't think either cooler is very good. I'm seriously considering getting an NV5 Silencer for my own and taking the voided-warranty plunge.

I have the twin fan one and on the 66.93 (I think) drivers I ran it at 420/1100 and 53C idle and around 70C load. The two fans have blue LEDs which looks great reflecting off the bottom metal of my case. It's a bit loud, but I can't hear it over any other fans in my case.

I'm not sure that it's "worse" per-se. There is usually a variance in effectiveness of the same fans between two of the exact same card due to chip contact and thermal interface application. The reason they might show it off is that it looks cooler, and it's unique. The other cooler is like 90% of the coolers on any other GT since it comes stock on the reference board from nVidia. All they do is swap the mermaid sticker for a BFG one.

Probably the reason they dumped it on newer models is because its cheaper for them to use the stock fan than spending their own cash on a fan that looks cool but cools about the same.

NEITHER fan will give you great performance.

BFG told me that the single-fan units were used because the twin-fan heat-sinks were not finished in time when they sold the first cards.

I wouldn't know which one is better for heat, but my card is RMA right now because one of the pretty, blue fans busted in half.

I've handled both versions of the card and there is no difference besides the PCB color and the cooler. The version printed on the PCB is the same on both cards. There is no physical difference on the layout of the card besides different color heatsinks, capacitors and the cooler of course.

I have the dual Blue LED fan solution (revision 2) of the BFG 6800GT OC and am running on the Xtreme G 71.84, overclocked to 400mhz/1100mhz. While it looks pretty good, it is fairly heavy. Also, I've found it doesnt cool too well. My case temperatures are normally around 30C, and my card idles at around 61C GPU/37C Ambient. The GPU temps have gone as high as the mid 70s during gaming, and I believe the Ambient temps have gone to 50C or so. I've seen many people reporting idle temps of more like 55C/30C.

The other thing is, where I upgraded from a 9500pro, I find this card to be a good deal louder than my old card. I think I'm going to upgrade to either a NV Silencer 5, or a Zalman CF700 VGA cooler. That way I get a bit better temperatures, and the somputer should be much more silent. I'm going to university next year, so my computer will be in close proximity to my bed, and my current rig is too loud for me to sleep comfortably with it on, and my bed is a good 10 ft away from my desk now. Next year it will be unbearable, so an upgrade is necessary.

To answer your question, I would opt for the single fan cooler. However, it is increasingly difficult now to find a revision 1 BFG 6800GT. If you turn your computer off at night or have your rig in a different room than your bedroom, the dual LED fan cooler is fine also. Some people may just find it too noisy for falling asleep.

Thanks for all the info guys!

Mojo, how much did you pay for yours up in Nova Scotia? I can't seem to find anything below $599.

FusionXP said:
Thanks for all the info guys!

Mojo, how much did you pay for yours up in Nova Scotia? I can't seem to find anything below $599.
I bought mine on sale at NCIX.com for $529 Canadian. Not too bad a price, there had been EVGA's there about a few weeks prior for $489. But no sweat, I'm happy with the deal.

Since then they've sold out of BFG's. But I'd recommend the Leadtek 6800GT for $523 if you're interested.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=12398&vpn=299616C&manufacture=Leadtek

Back