What happened to the G84 AGP cards

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=453&Itemid=1

We confirmed that Nvidia G84, Geforce 8600 series won't go to AGP that soon. The current bridge chips are not compatible with the G8x chips and Nvidia has to make the new ones. AGP versions of these cards might be delayed for at least three more months.

Our well informed sources confirmed that Nvidia still didn't order the new bridge chips. It takes two to three months to get the chips out of the fabs, probably TSMC and by that time the new PCB's should be designed in order to support the AGP interface.

It just seems wasteful to invest in an agp card considering PCI-E boards are so cheap now.

You wouldn't really want a DX10-compliant card and have an older processor anyway.

Regardless rather it makes any sense to you or not, the bottom line is that if the demand is there, they will make them.... it's that simple.

Threads like this really amuse me. It is amazing how emotional people get over others opinions. If I choose to keep my old "piece of shit" AGP machines around and continue to invest money in them, why the fuck does anyone care?? I could care less if you guys rush out and build a new machine every year... gotta have the latest and greatest right now, fine. But look at it this way.. does anyone really know what it's going to take to run the next generation of games? No, and don't lie and speculate, claim that you do because I promise that any "specs" you can quote right now will change before they actually ship.. and my bet is that the coming generation of DX10 games are going to eat up all the bleeding edge cards available right now.. not saying they are a bad investment, they run current games extremely well, but.....

If Nvidia chooses to ship DX10 AGP cards, my money is on them selling pretty well... look at the X1950 AGP cards... they've sold the shit out of them... and I remember reading threads just like this one before they put those out as well...sooooo...

I posted this in another thread but I just blew 500k on a new house, so the last thing I'm gonna do right now is build a new machine ... I got better shit to do then sit in my parents basement and post stupidness like Kano and the others

I posted this in another thread but I just blew 500k on a new house, so the last thing I'm gonna do right now is build a new machine ... I got better shit to do then sit in my parents basement and post stupidness like Kano and the others

Well...I think it'd be worth the extra money to move to PCI-E. You could save $100 by buying the same PCI-E version of the x1950 pro opposed to the AGP one. Yes...you have to spend some more money, but not only are you getting PCI-E, your getting DDR2 which is way cheaper then DDR (at least at the moment), and it might come out to the point where it really doesn't cost that much.

Well...I think it'd be worth the extra money to move to PCI-E. You could save $100 by buying the same PCI-E version of the x1950 pro opposed to the AGP one. Yes...you have to spend some more money, but not only are you getting PCI-E, your getting DDR2 which is way cheaper then DDR (at least at the moment), and it might come out to the point where it really doesn't cost that much.

See.. it's not that hard to make an intelligent post stating your opinion. Well said, and I appreciate your opinion...

The problem is that every time someone starts a thread asking a question about or giving an opinion about AGP cards it turns into noting but a big ass flame fest. The fact is that there are people here who still use and appreciate AGP based systems, and will continue to do so until they no longer can, or choose to make the switch to PCIe.... and the real proof is that card makers are still putting out new AGP cards like the X1950 series, and if the DX10 variants actually ship, well... like I said, they will sell..

Definitely everything that would would need to know... Basically, if you can, just start saving up for a few parts at a time, and it will save you money in the long run :D

I would assume that you would be able to move over all your hd's and stuff into the new rig, so all you would really need to look into investing for is probably a processor, mobo and video card. I know that sounds like a lot, but believe me, it will save you a ton of money in the long run. I just had this same debate a few months ago and I just decided to start building a new system while just dealing with the old one that i had. I hope this helps!

Actually I'm only trying to help you get better performance for what you spend.
Emotion has nothing to do with it.

I believe that was probably your intent, but saying things like

AGP is dead.

don't really add a whole lot of creditability to your statements...... that's all..
If you have something to say, say it.. but blanket statements like that are just stupid.
AGP is not dead...not yet. The X1950 series and the possibility of DX10 AGP cards are proof that it's not. It might not be the best way to spend money. It may in the long run be a smarter investment to move to PCIe, but that does not mean that AGP is dead.

The only reason any new AGP cards will be made is so that they can be sold above value.
Because the AGP owners will have no other choice but to pay for the overpriced cards.

I say that AGP is dead, I do not retract my statement.
Disagree if you like.

The only reason any new AGP cards will be made is so that they can be sold above value.
Because the AGP owners will have no other choice but to pay for the overpriced cards.

Disagree if you like.
its in the retirement home but its not dead yet:D

The X1950 Sapphire AGP cards are only $10-20 more expensive than the PCi-E versions now... I think they've all come down, but AGP probably even more in the past 6 months.

That's correct.

Just like any other piece of hardware, the price will be at a premium initially. The prices on the 8800 series have come down considerably since their release, just as the price on the X1950 series.

New AGP cards are being released because there is a demand for them, not so that they can be sold "above value".. Above value is a perspective...Whereas they may have no vale to you they obviously do to others... therefore......again proving AGP is not dead;)

Ok so AGP is in a assisted living home, using a walker, and has a bad leg.
I'll go with that. :p

The problem for anyone who wants to mess with it is that it's a former navy SEAL that can kill them five different ways with a single blow from a bottle of Geritol.:p

I think AGP is very much alive in the hearts of many gamers.

Just a quick look at the Steam powered survey will show that AGP users number some 39% of gamers using nvidia cards.

It just seems wasteful to invest in an agp card considering PCI-E boards are so cheap now.

not really, some people still have their AGP boards and don't want to get another board. Do to they will have the then upgrade their CPU and even ram, most boards now support DDR2 only and the AGP boards like my older system is for socket 478.

Disagree if you like.

No thats your little stupid opinion, my 6800GT is not dead, is alive :p and running in my P4 system and now I retire from my main gaming machine, it's just file sever and torrents.

Now my new QX6700 system is my new gaming rig I have my 2 Evga 8800GTX sli

i have a feeling...
ATI/Nvidia will only release low end agp directx 10 card
like those 8400/8500 or HD2400 xt/pro

as those agp base system 's cpu is kind of slow (when compare to newer cpu)
so if they want to throw in a HD-DVD drive or blu-ray drive
they will need one of those card to do HD decoding..

and as thsoe newer games will demand more and more speed from the cpu,
those older system will be too slow for directx 10 games anyway,
so there is no reason to even release 8600GTS/HD2600XT in AGP format

( just my own opinion.., my english is bad, not my first language anyway)

I think AGP is very much alive in the hearts of many gamers.

Just a quick look at the Steam powered survey will show that AGP users number some 39% of gamers using nvidia cards.

Yeah. Gamers who don't understand the concept of "CPU limited", or "cost effective upgrades".

I wouldn't say AGP is dead, but it would be interesting to see just how much of a bottleneck AGP is with the new cards, I can't see a lot of point in Nvidia making AGP video cards for the latest range of chips if they're not going to be a lot faster than the 7xxx range.

Going with what most people are saying here with AGP is dead and whatnot and their systems will be too slow for new games with one of those cards...

They're trying to tell me that my operton 180, 2gb of ram on a nf3 ultra with a 500gb harddrive is too shitty to utilize a 8600 or 2600xt???

Really. cause I am betting that I would still see a noticeble performance increase going all the way upto a 8800GTS I bet. So why would I retire this whole system just so I can go to PCI-E, these people don't realise that just because I'm running AGP doesn't mean Im using some old Barton from back in the day with 512mb of DDR1. Give us a break.

Going with what most people are saying here with AGP is dead and whatnot and their systems will be too slow for new games with one of those cards...

They're trying to tell me that my operton 180, 2gb of ram on a nf3 ultra with a 500gb harddrive is too shitty to utilize a 8600 or 2600xt???

Really. cause I am betting that I would still see a noticeble performance increase going all the way upto a 8800GTS I bet. So why would I retire this whole system just so I can go to PCI-E, these people don't realise that just because I'm running AGP doesn't mean Im using some old Barton from back in the day with 512mb of DDR1. Give us a break.

Then go get an nf4 mobo with a pcie slot, they aren't that expensive anymore and will end up saving you money.

Regardless rather it makes any sense to you or not, the bottom line is that if the demand is there, they will make them.... it's that simple.

Threads like this really amuse me. It is amazing how emotional people get over others opinions. If I choose to keep my old "piece of shit" AGP machines around and continue to invest money in them, why the fuck does anyone care?? I could care less if you guys rush out and build a new machine every year... gotta have the latest and greatest right now, fine. But look at it this way.. does anyone really know what it's going to take to run the next generation of games? No, and don't lie and speculate, claim that you do because I promise that any "specs" you can quote right now will change before they actually ship.. and my bet is that the coming generation of DX10 games are going to eat up all the bleeding edge cards available right now.. not saying they are a bad investment, they run current games extremely well, but.....

If Nvidia chooses to ship DX10 AGP cards, my money is on them selling pretty well... look at the X1950 AGP cards... they've sold the shit out of them... and I remember reading threads just like this one before they put those out as well...sooooo...

wrong. There's a huge demand for IDE drive ports, but no one is entertaining that... are they?

I don't understand why people are bashing Kano, he's right. AGP is going the way of the do-do bird. Anyone who wants top performance does not have a choice but to go PCI-E these days.

I wouldn't say AGP is dead, but it would be interesting to see just how much of a bottleneck AGP isn't with the new cards...

fixed ;)

Seriously, PCI express is just about selling rich kids 2 expensive video cards per generation rather than one. PCI express motherboards are a step back imho with their inadequate number of PCI slots. I've deliberately kept onto AGP and paid more to do so just so I could have a decent 939 mobo that has the 4 PCI slots I need.

oh come on, that argument doesn't even make sense. PCI-E covers the whole range, from cheap cards for the "poor" people to the expensive enthusiast stuff for the "rich" people. It's just the newest standard, it doesn't really matter what your running. If you want something new it is going to be pci-e, if your running old stuff then you use agp. I don't even see why people argue about it. Some people like their old systems, fine, just if they want anything recent they have to upgrade to the current standard. It's how it's always been. Sli or crossfire boards do eat up pci slots for pci-e slots, but if your so averse to that just get a standard board. They have one pci-e slot and more pci slots. Also those sli boards are enthusiast boards and so they pack more features on to the board, lessening the need for more daughter cards.

fixed ;)

Seriously, PCI express is just about selling rich kids 2 expensive video cards per generation rather than one. PCI express motherboards are a step back imho with their inadequate number of PCI slots. I've deliberately kept onto AGP and paid more to do so just so I could have a decent 939 mobo that has the 4 PCI slots I need.

I don't have much money to spend on computers, but I can certainly afford a motherboard with PCIe16x slots and a PCIe graphics card. In fact, I managed to get my 6800GS for 70 shipped, and the other for free. There was an X850XT open box on newegg for 55 dollars a while back. if that's for "rich" kids, you must be shit poor.

fixed ;)

I think you misunderstand.

Having spare PCI slots in your motherboard is nice and there's plenty of PCI express motherboards that offer backwards support for PCI, in fact it's fairly standard.

What I was actually talking about was the bandwidth limitation of the AGP x8 slot, It seems likely to me that any 8800 card made into agp isn't going to be significantly faster than a 7800 card, I'd like to hear some more opinions on this and if possible some figures/numbers.

Back