What happens when a ps3 bricks?

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey. A friend of mine's ps3 bricked after the 3.0 update and was given the usual bs because his system is out of warranty. I'm just curious, what exactly happens when a ps3 bricks? Is bricking just a name for a wide array of problems that occur leaving the system crippled? Or is it something specific, like some chip fries in the system?
It really sucks that a lot of these system failures seem to occur after updates, so I was just wondering if there was some specific part which always fried after an update, and if it is just one part, is it repairable. I know, there's no direct correlation between an update and a brick, but it just seems way too coincidental that a few people's system failures occur post-update.

It's not a coincidence, since it has been happening since the system launched. It just happens at a low enough rate that Sony can ignore it and individuals get screwed. It is not a fried chip or part, it's a software muckup, and all you can do is send it in to sony and pay, or hope you're under warranty.

your question is similar to someone asking why their neighbors car wont start after having previously changed his oil.

basically without further in depth details and analysis, nobody can give a concrete answer to that question. Using the example above, maybe the guy put the wrong oil, or maybe it was a coincidence and his battery just died because he left his lights on.. In the case of your PS3, who knows if his firmware did not flash correctly, or if it was just a cheap capacitor that has finally died on the board.. really it could be anything.

Everything breaks, the only way to find out why is to spend some time looking at the symptoms and perform a thorough diagnostic of the issue.

Back