What intel motherboard for ~$250?

^eMpTy^

2[H]4U
My 680i is squealing like a stuck pig so I'm sending it back to newegg. Any recommendations for a solid intel motherboard for around $250 that would handle a modest overclock on a Q6600?

I'm looking at the ASUS Maximus Formula, mostly because I've had good experiences with ASUS in the past. But I wanted to run it by you guys just to make sure I'm not about to buy another lemon.

Thanks!

I'd just go with an Abit ip35 Pro. Maximus is nice but x38 has some issues, and you cannot meet its full potential without ddr3. So if you are doing a modest overclock why not just stick with a p35 chipset and save $90, and use that towards x48 when it comes out and drops a bit in price. If you are not utilizing x38's features, I see no point in paying for the insanely priced x38 boards. Don't get me wrong, the Mximus is really a nice board, but finding the sweet spot is the key IMHO, and that sweetspot be ip35 Pro.

Good luck in your choice.

You should also consider Abit X38-QuadGT.

I am waiting for the P5E-WS myself.

Wow, $250 for a board... I could build a whole computer for that much (or get a prebuilt dell w/ windows)! I really see no need to spend so much on a motherboard, but hey, whatever floats your boat. ;) Check out the X38-DQ6 from gigabyte.

Back