What IPS panel has the least amount of AG Coating?

zod96

Suspected BAD TRADER
I would like to get a 23-24 inch IPS panel. One thing I hate is the AG coating on IPS panels like say the Dell U2410, it makes everything appear dirty. I would like to get one that doesn't have that much AG coating, which ones are their if any?

There are some other IPS panels (other than the Apple displays) with less than the usual super-aggressive AG coating that LG applies to most panels, such as these Hazro displays, but nothing that is generally available in North America AFAIK.

Samsung's upcoming Super PLS displays which use their (patent-fighting) alternative to LG's IPS panels. One of Samsung's selling points for these S PLS monitors is their superior semi-gloss coating which should have all the non-grainy benefits of 'glossy' displays while still being less reflective.

Like the above poster said, wait and see what Samsung has to ofer with their PLS displays. If that doesn't pan out... :(

AFAIK, the coating on the PLS panels is still unknown and speculation at this point. We know that it isn't glossy, but we don't know how aggressive the AG will be.

A refurb 24" Apple ACD generally costs about $400-500 which is in the same price range as the Dell U2410 and has no AG coating.

When are the samsungs due out?

We don't yet know. We're assuming June at the earliest.

AFAIK, the coating on the PLS panels is still unknown and speculation at this point. We know that it isn't glossy, but we don't know how aggressive the AG will be.

True, but there's no reason to think that Samsung's coating won't be consistent with their other panel offerings, which are far less aggressive than LG's.

Last edited:
AG coating of ALL IPS are EXCESSIVE !

The difference is that some users is not sensible to it, but for other users like me, the LG AG coating in the IPS monitors is super aggressive and cause heavy eyestrain + difficoult text reading.

I Have LG IPS series and have the strongest coating that i ever seen in my life.
I know that not all IPS monitors from other brands mount my same coating, but are however hard.

read this :

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037202776&postcount=2622

For me the perfect level of coating is the one Sony uses on some of the smaller VAIOs, like the Z. Wacom also uses the same kind of AG coating on the glass of their Cintiq line, but it's a bit more matte than the VAIO coating.

zseries.jpg

You might want to check out some of the NEC IPS monitors as well.

The A-TW equipped panels are also much less aggressive (at least for the NEC 2490) - at least compared to a coworker's U2410. I have not used them next to each other (home vs. work), but the difference is clear.

I have dual EA231WMI-BK's at home and they are great. So little strain on my eyes.

They use the EXACT same coating as every other IPS panel:rolleyes:

A refurb 24" Apple ACD generally costs about $400-500 which is in the same price range as the Dell U2410 and has no AG coating.

Actually they normally run closer to 35-40% more than those prices.

Well over $600 on eBay and other resellers, and $600 from Apple, plus tax.

ALL IPS PANEL is made by LG !
I think that the AG coating is not the same for all products but is similar.

All PC monitor IPS panel have heavy Ag coating !
not need any link !

tk-don said:
The A-TW equipped panels are also much less aggressive (at least for the NEC 2490) - at least compared to a coworker's U2410. I have not used them next to each other (home vs. work), but the difference is clear.
The A-TW polarizer has nothing to do with the anti-glare film. The HP DreamColor has both the A-TW polarizer and the aggressive anti-glare film.

The first generation H-IPS panels had a less aggressive anti-glare film regardless of the A-TW polarizer. The NEC 2490 had one of those first-generation panels. The Planar PX2611W also had the less aggressive anti-glare film without the A-TW polarizer.

As far as I know, all of the current matte IPS panels have the same grainy film. It's hard to know for sure because people keep reporting differences that aren't there.

I thought the Asus PA246Q had a less aggressive AG coat?

Edit: And why are you ruling out PVA panels?

I thought the Asus PA246Q had a less aggressive AG coat?

you can pick up gently used s-pva's for rather cheap. but i heard they have an irregular pixel grouping, making text look strange. ive never owned one so i dont know, but i wished ppl who did would chime in their opinions.

I own a Samsung 305t+ Its a S-PVA.

IMO it's a wonderful monitor. It does have an antiglare coating on it, however I can't see any of the sparkle/graininess that plagues some of the other IPS panels.

I can't believe the deal I got on it. I offered a lady from craigslist 300$, she snapped that up quick. She thought the monitor was just crappy it was displaying at 1280x800 because if the single link DVI it was plugged into.

People claim that the input lag is bad. I haven't ever noticed it at all. And the Samsung was a direct replacement for a TN panel.

U2410 have aggressive coating like 2311h ?

The U2410 has a very aggressive coating and from what I've heard the 2311h is also pretty aggressive.

So I would avoid Dell brands if you are bothered by the coating.

As its been said Apple has the least. I don't know about the future Samsung PLS panels , I think there will be a coating to some degree but I have a feeling it will be less than the current worst offenders.

I hate these coatings personally but they are so widely employed.

is not there an ips monitor with light or medium coating ?
HP ZR4W is the same ?

Yeah, Senna89, why are you ruling out PVA panels, or more specifically the cPVA ones if you want a new monitor?

I own a Samsung 305t+ Its a S-PVA.

IMO it's a wonderful monitor. It does have an antiglare coating on it, however I can't see any of the sparkle/graininess that plagues some of the other IPS panels.

I can't believe the deal I got on it. I offered a lady from craigslist 300$, she snapped that up quick. She thought the monitor was just crappy it was displaying at 1280x800 because if the single link DVI it was plugged into.

People claim that the input lag is bad. I haven't ever noticed it at all. And the Samsung was a direct replacement for a TN panel.

I'm pretty sure the high lag was adressed in later revisions, but people tend to forget that manufacturers can actually make changes to products during their life cycles.

I have this monitor, and it gives a very nice picture! (pretty CRT like)
Very great monitor if you want an IPS screen without AG coating!

Read the review:
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1302259660

Warning though: "Input lag was measured to around 25-30 ms"

(wow that's a lot -- considering 10ms of input lag is very noticeable in FPS games)

And it's so small, only 21.5"... 0.248mm dot pitch.

Dell or some other company needs to make make a 24" or 25" glossy AKA clear IPS display with close to zero input lag.

...or just release some clear versions of already existing displays, and just slap some letter on at the end. So people actually had some choice.

They could even make quite some money on it by raising the prices on those monitors by 25% or so, and call it a "zomfg wow super awehzum new tech" to get it more attention.

I'd gladly pay some made up additional cost just to get a clear IPS.

50% more, if the display is a really good one.

It is indeed not a perfect monitor (for gaming), but it is really nice with watching video, photo's and normal browsing/office work.

You can also remove the coating of a IPS monitor, but that's risky . . .

Back