What is a file server?

A pc with file hosting shared across a network. typically a machine with a large storage system that pc's on the network can store and access files.

Originally posted by QHalo
A pc with file hosting shared across a network. typically a machine with a large storage system that pc's on the network can store and access files.

Not necessarily. My file server is a bunch of SCSI disks in their own case with their own PSUs. I use a cable to link it to the external port on a different machine. ;)

Originally posted by QHalo
bleah, :D

lmao

I'm building a new case for my fileserver, and I've considered adding a section for an actual computer inside it as well. Might be fun to tinker with. ;)

Simply put, network attached storage.

It could be a computer with a few large drives in it, or it could be a computer with an array, or arrays, attached to it externally.

It's a broad subject.

Originally posted by Poop
Simply put, network attached storage.

It could be a computer with a few large drives in it, or it could be a computer with an array, or arrays, attached to it externally.

It's a broad subject.

Don't they make hard drives that will plug directly into the network using an ethernet jack? Not sure if that counts as a fileserver, though.

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ
Don't they make hard drives that will plug directly into the network using an ethernet jack? Not sure if that counts as a fileserver, though.

NAS? network attached storage

Originally posted by ’m‚³‚ñ

Yes, but you're get it mixed up blender-boy :DI
'm saying a file server is a form of NAS....not vice versa.

Originally posted by Poop
Yes, but you're get it mixed up blender-boy :DI
'm saying a file server is a form of NAS....not vice versa.

LMAO That isn't the first time I've been called blender-boy. :p Memories... :p

Arg. I hate English. :p I know what it is in my mind, I just don't know how to say it...

A file server is basically any storage medium that is made public on a LAN? That makes sence (well, LAN meaning a network of some kind).

Back