What is a good Sata controller

Kaash

Limp Gawd
My old computer became my family's HTPC / storage server. I have the Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard. Some reason some of the SATA ports wont work so need a card hopefully between 4 - 6 ports on it internally. Does not need to support raid at all. Any help is much appreciated.

What OS? anything special, or just plugging a bunch of drives in..

Edit: of note, if its nothing special needed.. Then check newegg for the cheap syba ones & a sil controller & update to the SIL firmware.. Did that on one & it performed flawlessly through 2 flavors of *nix & whs..

Win 7. and yea just plugging in drives. nothing fancy but want it to work outof the box without having to fiddle with programs and firmwares

Promise, 3Ware, and Areca are good choices.
I would add LSI and remove Promise.

All 4 are good brands, But sounds like overkill for the use. I wouldn't trust a 30 dollar card with raid, but just as a SATA card I don't have no problem using a cheapy.. Especially when the cheapest of those 4 brands mentioned above would run at least 125 off NewEgg Compared to 30-50 for a generic controller. All for extra features that the OP doesn't need.

All 4 are good brands, But sounds like overkill for the use. I wouldn't trust a 30 dollar card with raid, but just as a SATA card I don't have no problem using a cheapy.. Especially when the cheapest of those 4 brands mentioned above would run at least 125 off NewEgg Compared to 30-50 for a generic controller. All for extra features that the OP doesn't need.
Agreed. But the comment from the OP on "nothing fancy but want it to work outof [sic] the box without having to fiddle with programs and firmwares" made me look more at nicer brands.

Going less expensive than those already listed, I'd toss Adaptec into the mix.

Agreed. But the comment from the OP on "nothing fancy but want it to work outof [sic] the box without having to fiddle with programs and firmwares" made me look more at nicer brands.

Going less expensive than those already listed, I'd toss Adaptec into the mix.

Firmware could still be an issue on any of the mentioned. Spending 100+ doesn't guarantee up to date firmware.. In fact it almost tips the scale the other way as with the more complex cards there are going to be more bugs & more firmware releases. Where the only reason I flashed the firmware on the Syba card I bought a while back was to get rid of the syba firmware & have the generic Sil 3124 firmware

Firmware could still be an issue on any of the mentioned. Spending 100+ doesn't guarantee up to date firmware.. In fact it almost tips the scale the other way as with the more complex cards there are going to be more bugs & more firmware releases. Where the only reason I flashed the firmware on the Syba card I bought a while back was to get rid of the syba firmware & have the generic Sil 3124 firmware
I think you're taking the OP's comment about firmware out of context. It's not the fact that updating the firmware may be necessary or recommended, but rather having to fiddle with various different firmware versions across product timelines to see what would actually work for his/her hardware. Which comes back to my earlier suggestions on brands given the context of the OP's comment: I'll put more trust in the QA and testing processes of the brands I mentioned against the cheapo stuff any day.

I think you're taking the OP's comment about firmware out of context. It's not the fact that updating the firmware may be necessary or recommended, but rather having to fiddle with various different firmware versions across product timelines to see what would actually work for his/her hardware. Which comes back to my earlier suggestions on brands given the context of the OP's comment: I'll put more trust in the QA and testing processes of the brands I mentioned against the cheapo stuff any day.

lmao.. I have never had to do that with a "controller". Basic sata functions require nothing special, or complex, & certainly nothing worth over 100 bucks. Especially since as the OP stated this is to make up for failing ports on a motherboard. He could simply get a new motherboard if he was going to spend over 100 & not have to fool with firmware at all beyond a standard bios update. & that would give him 8 good sata ports rather then 4+ whatever is left good on the motherboard he has now.

lmao.. I have never had to do that with a "controller". Basic sata functions require nothing special, or complex, & certainly nothing worth over 100 bucks. Especially since as the OP stated this is to make up for failing ports on a motherboard. He could simply get a new motherboard if he was going to spend over 100 & not have to fool with firmware at all beyond a standard bios update. & that would give him 8 good sata ports rather then 4+ whatever is left good on the motherboard he has now.
Cost is important to weigh against. Even with going cheap, the OP will either run out of available PCIe ports (by any combination of 2- or 4-port cards), or exceed the cost of a replacement mobo.

And I agree that nothing special is going on with a basic controller. But not all controller manufacturers are made equal. And if I was in the OP's position and my decision was to get a controller card instead of a new mobo (for whatever reason), my data would be worth much more than the $20-40 price difference between the brands you suggested versus what I suggested.

Kaash -- You should have enough information now to make a decision. Please post if this clears things up for you, or if you have another question.

And I agree that nothing special is going on with a basic controller. But not all controller manufacturers are made equal. And if I was in the OP's position and my decision was to get a controller card instead of a new mobo (for whatever reason), my data would be worth much more than the $20-40 price difference between the brands you suggested versus what I suggested.

20-40 dollar difference eh? How about a 55+ dollar difference..

This is the cheapest card that will run 4 sata drives of each of the mentioned brands as listed on newegg.

280 3ware
95 adaptec
130 areca
180 LSI
125 Promise

Compared to

40 SYBA using generic Sil 3124 controller.

So the only thing on the above recommended list is the adaptec at still well over 2x the cost. Now I am not saying that the syba is the same quality as the above, but for the purpose it will get the job done as well as the others.

Now again though.. if you were running any type of controller based raid then spend the money on a better card, But for your system to be able to read the drive then there is no reason to. Especially not if your getting the card as a workaround for a failing component as its not really a workaround if you spend more then it would cost to do it right.

20-40 dollar difference eh? How about a 55+ dollar difference..

This is the cheapest card that will run 4 sata drives of each of the mentioned brands as listed on newegg.

280 3ware
95 adaptec
130 areca
180 LSI
125 Promise

Compared to

40 SYBA using generic Sil 3124 controller.

So the only thing on the above recommended list is the adaptec at still well over 2x the cost. Now I am not saying that the syba is the same quality as the above, but for the purpose it will get the job done as well as the others.

Now again though.. if you were running any type of controller based raid then spend the money on a better card, But for your system to be able to read the drive then there is no reason to. Especially not if your getting the card as a workaround for a failing component as its not really a workaround if you spend more then it would cost to do it right.
My data is still worth more than the extra $15 from your links, and the rest of that post is really beating a dead horse. Again, the OP has enough information now to make a decision (or post a follow-up question).

Thanks for the info everyone. didn't even think of a new mobo but rather just spend the 50bucks and save the extra 100 for more drives. plus way to lazy to take the old one out ^_^. Again thank you all for your replies.

Back