what is a really good power supply that doesn't cost a lot?

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
what is the best power supply for the money? I don't want to spend a lot, but I want a really good power supply that can hand anything I put in a case, and be able to handle any overclock.

For the money look into the Antec SmartPower II series, they're ATX2 compliant, pretty damn stable and the price is really good for what they offer.

Posted this in your other thread (why are there two?)

Originally Posted by Nirad9er
what is the best power supply for the money? I don't want to spend a lot, but I want a really good power supply that can hand anything I put in a case, and be able to handle any overclock.

The highlighted items are mutually exclusive. If you want to do number two you have to raise number one.

So how much do you want to spend...and what do you want to run exactly?

right now I have an X Power 550 watt that I got last year for really cheap because the one that came with my case broke and I needed one right away. I'm running an amd xp 3000+, 1 gb geil ultra pc3200, abit nf7-s v2.0, bfg 6800gt oc, 200gb Maxtor 7200rpm 8mb cache ide harddrive, a dvd-rom and a dvd burner, and like 5 case fans. It seems to run great except for when I first turn my computer on, I think the power supply hums for like 30 seconds until I guess you could say it gets warmed up. I don't want to spend way over $100 on a new power supply but I want to be able for it to run an amd 64 system that i want to upgrade to soon. I want the power supply to be able to hand any overclock on put on it.

Well the S12 500w for 105 is going to probably be as good as you will do then. Unless you can find the Antec Truepower II 550w on sale soemwhere again.

The SmartPower II 500W runs $75 at newegg and has modular cables. For the money it's one of the better deals around, the rails are stable, it's modular and they feel confident in it enough to back it with a 3yr warranty.

madmat said:
The SmartPower II 500W runs $75 at newegg and has modular cables. For the money it's one of the better deals around, the rails are stable, it's modular and they feel confident in it enough to back it with a 3yr warranty.

Would this power supply be enough to run anything i want? whether it be a normal computer setup with a video card or sli setup, watercooling, case fans galore, multiple harddrives, dvd-rom, dvd burner, etc. Right now I have a 550 watt X-Power, i only paid like $35, and it hums for about 30 seconds when i start up my compuer and then goes away.

Dutt1113 said:
Would this power supply be enough to run anything i want? whether it be a normal computer setup with a video card or sli setup, watercooling, case fans galore, multiple harddrives, dvd-rom, dvd burner, etc. Right now I have a 550 watt X-Power, i only paid like $35, and it hums for about 30 seconds when i start up my compuer and then goes away.

It isn't the wattage it is the proper amp distribution. What exactly do you want to run that you are buying the PSU for. Can you be more specific than bunch of fans like how many........what type for all the components.

The S.P. II 500 isn't SLI certified but the TruePower 2.0 550w EPS is.

It runs $110 as opposed to $75. Those prices are at newegg, you might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere.

Here you go buddy.

550W EPS unit for under $100.

This is a quality unit, and on most sites this unit costs around $110 just like the other guys, but on the link i provided, they price it below cost.

But if that is to much money, you can go for the 460W version of this unit.

Good luck deciding.

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103706 will likely outperform most other brand's 500W units. It will be more than enough to run what you have.

It's not ATX 2.0, doesn't appear to support PCI-E nor SLI...I think he's running a PCI-E card and is wanting the option to uprade in time to SLI without having to buy yet another PSU.

Other than that it certainly looks to be a beast of a PSU.

edit/ Nope, my bad, he's running an NF7-s, whoops.

I just got the Seasonic S12-500.

I like it because of its efficiency. Other PSUs might be better for overclocking. It also has EPS12v so I can use it for the server it will be powering.

HybridHB said:
wow, last night the seasonic s12 600w was $106 shipped from ewiz.com

sure? I seem to remember not seeing any Seasonic PSUs on eWiz at all. (I've done a lot of searching recently, price compared as much as I could on the ~10 sites that you can see in the thread in my sig.)

The S12-500 will serve you well I think. It has 2 PCI-E connectors and the 18A on both 12v rails that we've come to expect. When I first looked at it on newegg it has 16 and 17, but it's gone through a revision I think.

Russ said:
sure? I seem to remember not seeing any Seasonic PSUs on eWiz at all. (I've done a lot of searching recently, price compared as much as I could on the ~10 sites that you can see in the thread in my sig.)

The S12-500 will serve you well I think. It has 2 PCI-E connectors and the 18A on both 12v rails that we've come to expect. When I first looked at it on newegg it has 16 and 17, but it's gone through a revision I think.

There is a thread here linking to the sale item when it was a sale.

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=PS-S12-600&c=pw

jabronidan said:
My OCZ Modstream 450W is great, you can also spend a little more and get the 520W. The only problem I have with it is the wires, they are very hard to bend but I heard that you can take a hair dryer and make the wires more bendable, I have yet to try this though.

http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__OCZ_...odel_OCZ52012U,__6800420/search=ocz+modstream

Thats the 520W.
Don't spend on getting the 520W model. Almost all of the extra power is added onto the legacy +5V line, which nobody really uses anyway.

Dutt1113 said:
No. If you're willing to spend $60 on a generic Rosewill, get one of these instead. They come from the same manufacturer that builds for Antec, so the quality will be there.

O now I remember. I got confused because of all the different prices I recently looked up on so many diffferent parts.

The S12-500 is $125 on eWiz and the S12 600 is $130. I didn't want the S12-600 so I didn't put that on my list! www.case-mod.com has the S12-600 for about the same price (plus some shipping), but their S12-500 is $105. Seems silly for eWiz to make the difference only $5. I guess it's the same situation Newegg was in a short while ago (and maybe still), for the low end Venice cpus, the retail was cheaper than the OEM! They just don't see it.

_Korruption_ said:
If you're willing to spend $60 on a generic Rosewill, get one of these instead.

Very good recommendation. Just installed two in MSI/Jetway NF4 builds and they work flawlessly - rails look nice (verified with m-meter). I may go with that one myself with my next build (S939) considering i will only have 1-2 HDD's and no SLI.

My recommendations:

$52.50 & shipping [24-pin & 20-pin] > 3yr warranty<
XCLIO XClio 450BL ATX 450W
Hold-up Time >20ms at full load, nominal line
Efficiency > 70%
Output +3.3V@32A, +5V@30A, [email protected], +12V1@15A, +12V2@17A, [email protected], +5VSB@2A
Approvals UL, CUL, TUV, CB, VDE, FIMKO, DEMKO, NEMKO, SEMKO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817189003

OR

$79 & shipping [24-pin & 20-pin]
Enermax 535W Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA V2.0 - SLI Ready
Specifications: Model: EG565P-VE FMA 2.0
Maximum Power: 535W (support both 24pins and 20pins motherboards)
Voltage Rails: +12V: 34A (total): +12V1@18A & +12V2@18A
-12V: 0.8A, +5V: 32A, +5VSB: 2.5A, +3.3V: 32A
http://www.gameve.com/gve/Store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=PS-ENERMAX-535

I would go with the Enermax 535W for its combined +12V@32A & its SLI capabilities.

Good Luck,
Dave

Russ said:

For SLI, Intel & AMD Dual-core ready power supplies, I would say Tagan 480W U22 is one of the best choices here. It has 2 PCI-E connectors that boost 20A on both 12v rails, which is well enough for the latest Intel & AMD dual-core processors.

the other plus worth to mention is that the VGA/HDD power lead has an EMI filter attached to it which the company claims it can reduce 50% of ripple noise that is a plus for high-end VGA cards such as nvidia 7800 which has high frequency.

Tagan can be found at about $90 in the stores below:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=BA21499
http://www.meritline.com/power-supply-480-w-e-power-tagan.html

Back