What is best 22"-24" monitor for gaming? Less than $500

Gemini1706

n00b
I have a 17" Sony CRT that I love, but now is time to try new technologies and large sizes.

What is best for mostly gaming (plus excel, word, surfing ...etc.)?
I play FPS and strategy stuff, plus some RPG (Fallout 3 ...etc.).

I alos need to buy it from store if possible, not online and headaches ...etc.

Thanks in advance for help.

Acer H213H

This is the 21.5" LCD monitor I bought. It's a great budget monitor ($190 at NewEgg) with full HD capability with a max resolution of 1950x1080. The colors on it are great, easy to setup, and has DVI-D, HDMI, and VGA connections. It makes the latest games look great (used Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and others on this). The onboard speakers suck, but I don't think that matters much. Suffice to say, I think this is a great monitor. I have no idea if you can find this model in a local retail store, so I am not sure if you would have luck with that.

If it has to be bought at a B&M...

22" = LG L227WTG-PF (glossy screen)

24" = LG 2452T-TF, HP w2408h, Samsung T240 (best to worst, IMO)

Any changes or updates to this thread? I'm also finally looking for an LCD monitor either 22" or 24" for gaming. I'm looking at those two LGs, but also this LG:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005126

I would also like to play some older games. Any thoughts? Thank you.

that should be fine if your main concern is gaming, but I don't know if you care that the LG has a tn panel. If you don't care. just get the LG. I've heard good things about the 24" asus, too.

seriously, dont go with lcds if gaming is your priority, stay with crts and try to grab a FW900 that will cost you half the price.

For 22", you have a choice between:
Dell 2209WA - Well under $300 (not sure if they are honoring the $212 deal anymore, if not then it's $275) for an e-IPS screen that blows away any TN panel for image quality. It's not 120Hz, but otherwise is a good fast gaming monitor; reports are that it runs just fine at 75Hz.
Samsung 2232rz ($450ish) or Viewsonic 2265wm ($375ish) - the only true 120Hz LCD displays on the market; while they are TNs, they look as good as any TN does, and 120Hz automatically makes them by far the best hardcore FPS gaming LCDs (you will not need or want to use Vsync with them).

For 24", there's the BenQ G2400WD, which is probably the fastest 24" TN for gaming, and the more expensive HP L2475w, which being a fast H-IPS monitor is also very good for gaming but has much better image quality than any TN, and is considered better than the S-PVA Dell 2408WFP. All of these are 60Hz; there are no true 120Hz 24" monitors at this time.

SyncMaster 2493Hm....I got mine with the Bush $600 Stimulus check. Now it's down to $399 on Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001263&Tpk=2493hm

The Samsung 2493HM 24-Inch LCD Monitor offers razor-sharp, widescreen HDMI image clarity and a host of features. With 1920 x 1200 resolution and a dynamic 10,000:1contrast ratio you'll be amazed by the images this wide-spectrum monitor offers. A pair of 2-watt integrated speakers provide you clear, bright sound without taking up precious desk space. It also has HDMI.....

But if your going from 17" up to 24" than a Native 1920 x 1200...Can your Video Card handle it???

I had a NV 8800GTX Ultra 768ram with a the 22" LG with good Frame Rates. Once I got the Samsung 24" home I soon figured out GPU wasn't cutting it. So I went and got a ATI 4870x2 and this 24" was a lot better for me!

HP LP2475w Black 24" 6 ms (GTG); 12ms HDMI

12ms? even 6ms?
Is this good for gaming?

6ms GTG is good for gaming. Obviously TN panels have lower response times (2-5ms) but you shouldn't notice the difference. Upwards of 8-10ms is where you start to notice the lag.

I really like the BenQ V2400W .. can get it from the BenQ store for just over 300 shipped now too.

Ok, so there's this BenQ V2400W also and I think I'm still getting the G2400W. The V2400W may be $20 cheaper at the BenQ site, but first off it's unsymmetrical with that silly thing on the left bottom...whatever it is and that's not my only reason, except I just like the looks of the G2400W better. Some other differences I found are below:

1st the BenQ store link:
http://shop.benq.us/benq-us/searchresults.aspx?dept_id=17&culture=en-US

Now, the differences:
BenQ G2400W
Input signals: no earphone input
Horizontal Freq: 31-94KHz
Vertical Freq: 50-85Hz
Dimensions: 558x442.7x170.5 mm (HxWxD)
Weight: 6.15kg

BenQ V2400W
Input signals: includes earphone input
Horizontal Freq: 31-83KHz
Vertical Freq: 55-76Hz
Dimensions: 563.8x369.4x191.7 mm (HxWxD)
(strange, from the pics I would expect this one to be higher)
Weight: 6.7kg

So, not much difference, but that's what I found on that web site.

Yes and I don't think so. That's all I know for sure, but one person somewhere I remember said the V2400W has a glossy coat, but another said no and that it was only around the edges..........whatever that means.

The screen of V2400W is matt, it's only the bezel is glossy black. I personally prefer matt screen just because my eyes feel much better.

Acer H213H

This is the 21.5" LCD monitor I bought. It's a great budget monitor ($190 at NewEgg) with full HD capability with a max resolution of 1950x1080. The colors on it are great, easy to setup, and has DVI-D, HDMI, and VGA connections. It makes the latest games look great (used Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and others on this). The onboard speakers suck, but I don't think that matters much. Suffice to say, I think this is a great monitor. I have no idea if you can find this model in a local retail store, so I am not sure if you would have luck with that.

You may want to add the bigger-brother H233Hbmid to the shortlist (23" 1920x1080 NI widescreen). It has all the features of the H213H and is only $20 more (also at Newegg). Unlike most monitors in its size/price range (including Acer's own W223bd), it doesn't just include DVI-D (HDCP supported), HDMI (HDCP supported) and VGA ports, it includes *cables* for all three (an audio cable is also included).
[URL="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009162&Tpk=H233H.bmid"/URL]AcerH233Hbmid[/URL]

My $.02:

Here is a great article from anandtech with a rundown of most of the LCDs/brands and their pros/cons.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y

Their opinion is that this monitor is the best for gaming:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005109&Tpk=l227wtg
22": LG Flatron L227WTG-PF, 1680x1050 (16:10)

* Panel: glossy TN, 92% NTSC, 16.7M colors
* Inputs: DVI-D (HDCP), VGA
* Scaling: Full, Aspect
* Input Lag: 0 ms, avg
* Ergonomics: Swivel, Tilt, VESA Mount
* Price: ~$250 USD

I have to say I agree with them. For my personal tastes I do not enjoy a 24" monitor, 22" is more comfortable for me to sit in front of. I absolutely LOVE this monitor. 0 input lag and 2ms response time almost returns you to the days of CRT glory.

If you want to drop the cash and don't mind a monster CRT crushing your desk you could go holy grail hunting for a good condition Sony FW900.

Yes, if I was getting a 22" LCD then that LG would probably be the one; although, what I want is a larger screen so that it is worth reinstalling old games (UT, Q3, etc.) and playing at 4:3 aspect. Right now, I have a 19" CRT with a screen diagonal display of 18.5" and to get a new monitor I would like to improve on this by a good deal.

I did some calculations and it looks like at 4:3 aspect on a widescreen monitor, a 24" diagonal would be approx. 21.1" and a 22" diagonal would only be approx. 19.37". I originally thought the 22" diagonal would be closer to 18.5" like I have now, but it looks like it's not as bad as I was thinking. But a 2.6" diagonal 4:3 aspect improvement is better than a 0.87" improvement. Also, considering I'll have this new monitor for a while, I think I'll go with the 24". I did use the LG for the 22" example and the BenQ for the 24" example in my calculations, but I doubt it makes much difference. The BenQ is still #3 on the gaming list in that Anandtech thread.:)

If you want to play at 4:3 aspect, be aware that you will want to have 1:1 pixel mapping, and the G2400W may not do that well. To copy and paste from one of my other posts here:

"The G2400WD has 1:1 pixel mapping, dynamic contrast (disabled by default, which is good) and overdrive (disabled by default, which is good), while the G2400W does not. As near as I can tell from googling, the G2400WT adds an adjustable height stand to the G2400WD, and is otherwise the same."

I found a bit more info in this thread (a user review of the V2400W): "I had to create 1360x768 as a custom resolution in nVidia Control Panel. The G2400W failed to do 1:1 pixel mapping with this resolution. It stretched it vertically while the V2400W handled it well. It seems there ARE some firmware updates after all with the V2400W."

So, I would avoid the G2400W in favor of a V2400W or G2400WD (or, even better, the G2400WT).

Yes, the BenQ G2400WD of course! All the sites I'm looking to buy from all have the G2400WD and that's what I'm getting. I guess I got a little sidetracked with scooby's last post in this thread.:)

Yes, if I was getting a 22" LCD then that LG would probably be the one; although, what I want is a larger screen so that it is worth reinstalling old games (UT, Q3, etc.) and playing at 4:3 aspect. Right now, I have a 19" CRT with a screen diagonal display of 18.5" and to get a new monitor I would like to improve on this by a good deal.

I did some calculations and it looks like at 4:3 aspect on a widescreen monitor, a 24" diagonal would be approx. 21.1" and a 22" diagonal would only be approx. 19.37". I originally thought the 22" diagonal would be closer to 18.5" like I have now, but it looks like it's not as bad as I was thinking. But a 2.6" diagonal 4:3 aspect improvement is better than a 0.87" improvement. Also, considering I'll have this new monitor for a while, I think I'll go with the 24". I did use the LG for the 22" example and the BenQ for the 24" example in my calculations, but I doubt it makes much difference. The BenQ is still #3 on the gaming list in that Anandtech thread.:)

The LG is the direct successor to the recently-EOL WT2252; however, unlike the Acer I mentioned, it only includes a VGA cable (and lacks HDMI support). Also, LG is starting to get squished by both Acer and Hannspree's Computer Display division (HannsG), which are actually having an actual *price war* in the 22"-25" display space. For this reason, if you can catch an LG on sale, preferably it would be the L2452WTG; though it still lacks the HDMI support offered by the 23" and 25" displays from Acer and HannsG, it does match their now de-rigeur 1920x1080 NI resolution.

My $.02:

Here is a great article from anandtech with a rundown of most of the LCDs/brands and their pros/cons.
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=2049206&enterthread=y

Their opinion is that this monitor is the best for gaming:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005109&Tpk=l227wtg
22": LG Flatron L227WTG-PF, 1680x1050 (16:10)

* Panel: glossy TN, 92% NTSC, 16.7M colors
* Inputs: DVI-D (HDCP), VGA
* Scaling: Full, Aspect
* Input Lag: 0 ms, avg
* Ergonomics: Swivel, Tilt, VESA Mount
* Price: ~$250 USD

I have to say I agree with them. For my personal tastes I do not enjoy a 24" monitor, 22" is more comfortable for me to sit in front of. I absolutely LOVE this monitor. 0 input lag and 2ms response time almost returns you to the days of CRT glory.

If you want to drop the cash and don't mind a monster CRT crushing your desk you could go holy grail hunting for a good condition Sony FW900.

The problem I have with that recommendation is that it totally ignores 1920x1080 support (which is a definite plus for widescreen gaming, in addition to being a standard for HD video) and doesn't consider HDMI as worthwhile. (Consider the following: most *mainstream* graphics cards, and darn near every graphics card aimed at gaming enthusiasts today, supports HDMI via either dongle or directly, and as standard fare, not as an option. Throw in the HTPC market (my own ASUS P5N-EM was designed primarily for HTPC use, and includes HDMI as standard fare), and HDMI has become nearly a standard itself as far as computer video-out goes. What happened to DisplayPort? Simple - HDMI has eaten its lunch.)

And that's just PCs.

Throw in consoles and even standalone BD players (monitor as display hub), and HDMI goes from option to necessity real fast. (It is plain that both Acer and HannsG have recognized this; both companies have added HDMI to displays as small as 23", while pushing the standard resolutions to 1920x1080, and pricing these larger displays with HDMI at the same price as the 22" displays that they will replace that lacked support for HDMI or 1920x1080.)

The V2400W/G2400WD are excellent gaming screens. They will do most resolutions properly, fully support HDMI consoles, and have overdrive function that can be turned on or off, as well as good out-of-the box color accuracy. They are the best TN monitors ever made by BenQ, and still have the best 24" TN viewing angles IMO.

The G2400W is a slightly older panel than the G2400WD/V2400W.

The best 22" gaming screens are the LG L227WTG and the Dell 2209WA. The LG has the fastest panel Prad.de has ever tested and low input lag, but it also has a glossy screen. This is the best TN Based 22" I've ever seen.

The Dell 2209WA is a standard sRGB gamut screen that has low input lag and an eIPS panel with BY FAR the best 22" viewing angles on the market. It also has the ability (as listed above) to run at 72 or 75hz at 1680x1050 resolution, which is a great feature for hardcore FPS gamers.

Any of these three monitors (barring any defects) and you can't go wrong for some good gaming experiences.

I have a BenQ G2400W, and I think it's great for gaming. I had an older LG 19in LCD before this, and I saw a big improvement in gaming and contrast gettin the G2400. Low input lag, good picture quality for a TN panel too.

crt use for many years is why i wear glasses now fk crt

CRT use for many years is why when I use virtually all of these so called "gaming" LCDs I laugh at the people who say they are equal or better and quickly bin them into the moron category.

It's not the size that worries me, its the resolution. To keep a crisp image, you'd need to be using 1:1 pixel mapping. With a 24" display, the largest 4:3 res you can 1:1 pixel map is 1600x1200 (quite large), but with a 22" display, the largest 4:3 res you can 1:1 pixel map is 1280x960... Very small.

I don't think they are in any kind of order on that anandtech thread, and if they are, look whats at #2 ;). I still reckon that 2209WA would be the best 22" monitor available, being an IPS panel. Too bad there is no 24" version.

Hmm...well just another good reason to lock myself in with a 24" monitor!:) I'd be playing my old games at the same resolution on my new monitor with the 22" screen. That's strange if they're not in any order at that AnandTech thread, but it doesn't really matter at this point.

I don't think they are in any kind of order on that anandtech thread, and if they are, look whats at #2 ;). I still reckon that 2209WA would be the best 22" monitor available, being an IPS panel. Too bad there is no 24" version.

That particular part of the LCD lists (there are several categories) is the Hardcore Gaming lists, which is listing which LCDs are the fastest monitors, regardless of image quality. The 2209WA does have better image quality than the LG L227WTG-PF (it's no contest) but it is definitely not faster (the LG has 0 input lag, the 2209WA doesn't).

The thread author hasn't yet put the Samsung 2232rz or Viewsonic 2265wm in the lists, but has noted in the posts that since those monitors are 120Hz, he may simply make a whole new category for them. Consider trying to rank a 120Hz monitor with some input lag versus a 60Hz with no input lag.

evilsofa, funny you should mention that LG monitor's input lag, because the LG site shows it as 2ms (unless the PF model is 0ms, but I can't seem to find that info).

evilsofa, funny you should mention that LG monitor's input lag, because the LG site shows it as 2ms (unless the PF model is 0ms, but I can't seem to find that info).
thats a 2ms response time which is NOT the same as input lag. that L227WTG-PF supposedly has very little lag but it is NOT zero like evilsofa and many others claim. in fact according to this site the input lag for that LG is not super low at all. http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=35&mo1=349&p1=3278&ma2=48&ph=12

Back