What is best for watercooling? Water or what?

Vapor03

Limp Gawd
Ok right now im using water to cool my PC with my custom watercooling setup. Im curious what would do the job better then water and how much of a temp change would i see. THANKS! im trying to keep my same setup so liquid only.

Water is actually pretty much the best thing for the job, unless you want to get into super expensive weird chemicals and stuff.

Liquid metal, like a gallium-indium alloy is probably the best... Yet it's dangerous in many (unorthodox) ways.

penguin said:
Water is actually pretty much the best thing for the job, unless you want to get into super expensive weird chemicals and stuff.

QFT

You cant beat distilled water with anything you can buy over the counter or that will work in a conventional water cooling setup. Anything else is 90% water with stuff in it to glow, prevent corrosion, or kill bugs.

Glowy can be cool, your call.
Use all copper/brass/anodized aluminum and you wont get corrosion anyway.
Washout/dunk everything in alcohol rinse with distilled water and dont spit in it and you wont have bugs.

A gallon of steam distilled water from the grocery store, a quart of Isopropal Alcohol from drug store and with clean assembly you get as good as it gets for about $2.

i was just thinking about my paintball gun...would there be any feasible way to use co2?

BillParrish said:
QFT

You cant beat distilled water with anything you can buy over the counter or that will work in a conventional water cooling setup. Anything else is 90% water with stuff in it to glow, prevent corrosion, or kill bugs.

Glowy can be cool, your call.
Use all copper/brass/anodized aluminum and you wont get corrosion anyway.
Washout/dunk everything in alcohol rinse with distilled water and dont spit in it and you wont have bugs.

A gallon of steam distilled water from the grocery store, a quart of Isopropal Alcohol from drug store and with clean assembly you get as good as it gets for about $2.

I agree 100%

annaconda said:
What about CAR AntiFreeze 50/50

It works fine, but the question is, why? It serves no practical purpose in a w/c loop, as I don't think your ever going to manage to get the coolant down to -15f, or for that matter over 250f, so there is no reason for the expense, in my opinion. And yes, I know it has "corrosion inhibitors" and other stuff in it, but still, no practical use in a w/c setup.

Price to performance, water beats everything. There is probubly some 3m checmial which will work a few degrees better, for a few million a gallon.

Back