What is currently the fastest single slot vid card?

alphaone

Gawd
Simple question really. I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to new video cards. I'm building an SFF and I want the fastest single slot card that I can get right now. So if someone could kindly tell me what that is or point me in the direction of somewhere I could easily find out I would be very grateful :)

7950GTX2 I believe, it's a single card but it has onboard SLI with two GPUs and 512megabytes total memory, it's made by Nvidia. If you like ATI more, check out the X1900XTX (or did the X1950XTX's come out yet? I dont think so).

BTW because of the heat issues I would recommend good cooling with your small case such as a graphics card that vents out hot air from the back of the case. There are custom cooling solutions you can put on cards that will do that but then again there are good stock cooling solutions that do that such as the X850XT that I have, it vents right out and doesn't add any heat to my case from the exhaust.

~Adam

Yeah just to clarify, I want a single slot card. Not a card that only uses one slot but is really two slots wide.

yeah its the 7900GT, although you could modify the 7950GX2 to not take up 2 expansion slots as the air never gets pushed out of it anyhow.

CleanSlate said:
7950GTX2 I believe, it's a single card but it has onboard SLI with two GPUs and 512megabytes total memory, it's made by Nvidia. If you like ATI more, check out the X1900XTX (or did the X1950XTX's come out yet? I dont think so).

BTW because of the heat issues I would recommend good cooling with your small case such as a graphics card that vents out hot air from the back of the case. There are custom cooling solutions you can put on cards that will do that but then again there are good stock cooling solutions that do that such as the X850XT that I have, it vents right out and doesn't add any heat to my case from the exhaust.

~Adam

Question for you guys... I've been out of the video card research for some time now. Will the 7950GTX2 be able to run in SLI mode, so would you technically be able to run quad SLI?

Yes, the GX2 is supposed to get Quad-SLI support officially in a later driver release. So far, it's all leaked/beta/OEM stuff.

Another vote for the 7900GT, or maybe an eVGA 7800GTX KO if you can still find one. Expect to pay a hefty sum for that one, though! Everything ATI has offered to compete with these has been dual-slot, X1800 and up.

mavalpha said:
Yes, the GX2 is supposed to get Quad-SLI support officially in a later driver release. So far, it's all leaked/beta/OEM stuff.

Another vote for the 7900GT, or maybe an eVGA 7800GTX KO if you can still find one. Expect to pay a hefty sum for that one, though! Everything ATI has offered to compete with these has been dual-slot, X1800 and up.

There's the x1900gt - buuuut the 7900gt still beats it.

I believe the accellero coolers are the best single slot coolers, however, they suck compared to the vf-900s. I remember seeing a review that said accelero x1 and x2 only matched stock coolers on an an ati card but it was quieter and single slot. My vote would be accellero x1 slapped onto an x1900xt/xtx(most x1900xt/xtx look like they have ati silencers with the fan turned on all the way).

Monkey_feces said:
I believe the accellero coolers are the best single slot coolers, however, they suck compared to the vf-900s. I remember seeing a review that said accelero x1 and x2 only matched stock coolers on an an ati card but it was quieter and single slot. My vote would be accellero x1 slapped onto an x1900xt/xtx(most x1900xt/xtx look like they have ati silencers with the fan turned on all the way).

if you look at the top graph you will see that an accelero at 25% is cooler and quieter than a zalman at 100% . cheaper, too. the zalman performance is very slightly better than the xfx stock fan. but it is quieter.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=13&artpage=1800&articID=405

vanilla_guerilla said:
if you look at the top graph you will see that an accelero at 25% is cooler and quieter than a zalman at 100% . cheaper, too. the zalman performance is very slightly better than the xfx stock fan. but it is quieter.

http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&number=13&artpage=1800&articID=405
My bad, I based my statements on what I heard from another forum, I guess they're not as reliable as I thought. It's also two slots. I have only seen pictures from the top view and thought it was much thinner :( I would gladly pay a little more for a zalman cooler because they have nipples.

Also, I do a lot of flight simming because I am into flying and am in pilot training. And anyone who has played flight simulator knows that it's a memory hog. Both of RAM and VRAM. It has a massive amount of textures. I was wondering if I should wait for the 7900GT KO 512 to come back in stock (supposedly next week) or just get the KO SC 256. I just run at 1280x1024. Will I see a difference?

If you want to water cool it is possible to run 7900gtx and 1900xtx with single slot blocks.

The fastest single slot (not taking up 2 slot spaces) would be the EVGA 7900GT KO Superclock....there is a Signature Series which is a little faster but very hard to find in stock anywhere.

joemama said:
The fastest single slot (not taking up 2 slot spaces) would be the EVGA 7900GT KO Superclock....there is a Signature Series which is a little faster but very hard to find in stock anywhere.
I've heard of some problems with the KO SC. I also heard that evga was doing a reload with new ram that fixed the problems. Has this taken place yet?

Still looking for an answer to my question about 256 vs 512.

alphaone said:
I've heard of some problems with the KO SC. I also heard that evga was doing a reload with new ram that fixed the problems. Has this taken place yet.

Still looking for an answer to my question about 256 vs 512.

You'll see an improvement of 512 over 256 in very few games. One that comes to mind is doom3 in ultra mode. The 512 will run faster because in ultra mode, more textures are being loaded into the memory.

From most reports I've read though, the difference is negligible. I'd say wait for it if it's less than a $20 difference for resale purposes. Otherwise, just get the 256.

Cool card the 7950 and i would buy the cheapest 7950 there is out there cos even that is too powerful. I have a 7950XXX but i reckon the cheapest paired with a conroe should sort you out for some time to come.

Also if you wait for the DDR4 1950XTX than that would be about 20% less than the 7950 but the quality is good and you can use HDR with AA and AF, which is quite a treat .

And if you can wait for that then i am sure you can wait for the G80 which is the the real thing with DX10

And if you can wait for that then you might as well wait for the unified shader that comes out but i dont have the foggiest when they hit the shelves and us enthusiast dont do PATIANCE wery well.

nooh said:
Cool card the 7950 and i would buy the cheapest 7950 there is out there cos even that is too powerful. I have a 7950XXX but i reckon the cheapest paired with a conroe should sort you out for some time to come.

Also if you wait for the DDR4 1950XTX than that would be about 20% less than the 7950 but the quality is good and you can use HDR with AA and AF, which is quite a treat .

And if you can wait for that then i am sure you can wait for the G80 which is the the real thing with DX10

And if you can wait for that then you might as well wait for the unified shader that comes out but i dont have the foggiest when they hit the shelves and us enthusiast dont do PATIANCE wery well.
I don't think you understand what I want or really read this thread at all. And i'm not playing the waiting game.

alphaone said:
I don't think you understand what I want or really read this thread at all. And i'm not playing the waiting game.
n If thats the case then just buy the cheapest 7950 .

Cool card and they are quite overclockable anyway.

If you want something that will just hold you for say a good year and you can speculate in the meantime then buy this one http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=articles&go=read&arc_id=86

The best bang per buck and highly overclockable card , its a 7300gt and it uses the same core as a 7600 but its much cheaper. I wish i had this option at my time , when i bought my 6600(my old sli setup) this was not around .

This card hardly got ant reviews but its probably the best value card there is. I reckon it deserves more repect cos it is underated

Back