What is 'Doom 3 Engine'

SPIDEI2MAN

Weaksauce
Somebody, for godsakes please tell me what the 'doom 3 engine' is ..im guessing the engine is the source code that drives the characters to do things...but what exactly is different about this engine??

It's different because it's going to get licensed more than any engine before it, that's for sure.

You probably know what the Quake 3 engine is, think of the Doom 3 engine in the same way. The Quake 3 engine is used in many games - Call of Duty, MOH, Jedi Knight II & Academy, etc. The Doom 3 engine will be used the same way, but it has many more features than the Quake 3 engine. It is just a 'base' for developers to work off of, instead of building something from scratch.

SPIDEI2MAN said:
..im guessing the engine is the source code that drives the characters to do things...
A game engine is the core software component of a computer game. It typically handles rendering and other necessary technology, but might also handle additional tasks such as game AI, collision detection between game objects, etc. The most common element that a game engine provides is graphics rendering.

SPIDEI2MAN, please do not use implied swearing like "WTF" in thread titles.

The Rules

(7) No CUSSING in the thread title. It is permitted in the thread body, but please refrain from using excessive profanity dammit.

On the side, how do i take screenshots in the game....i wanna show you guys what doom 3 looks like on a laptop with an ATI Radeon 9000 IGP (64 mb shared) peice of crap...lol..

ill start a new thread for that,..but right now tell me how di i take screenshots...

SPIDEI2MAN said:
ill start a new thread for that,..but right now tell me how di i take screenshots...

RTFM
rtfm.gif

F12

SPIDEI2MAN said:
and what do i do with the TGA files?

I think you should just place the game into it's orginal package and send it back. n00b! :D

Fx02 said:
I think you should just place the game into it's orginal package and send it back. n00b! :D
HAHAHAH-no. Now someone whose older than 5, answer my question if you will. What needs to be done to the tga files in order to view them.

SPIDEI2MAN said:
HAHAHAH-no. Now someone whose older than 5, answer my question if you will. What needs to be done to the tga files in order to view them.
You can view them in Windows Media Player, or an advanced image viewer.

SPIDEI2MAN said:

Seriously man, they're standard graphic files. Think about it! what viewer gives you the ability to open up images files? My 4 year old nephew would know this. Stop being lazy and look it up for yourself. Here, i'll give you a hand: www.google.com

I believe you can save those as something as in photoshop.

The best engine I've played so far has been the Max Payne 2 Engine. How does the D3 engine fair up to that? Better? Worse? I love the MP2 engine because of the object collision and many other things of that nature. What about the Crytek? Yet another hit I still haven't played yet. I'm not much of a gamer, so please excuse my ignorance. Just want to see how people think the new engines are compared to the best engine I've played so far.

Fx02 said:
Seriously man, they're standard graphic files. Think about it! what viewer gives you the ability to open up images files? My 4 year old nephew would know this. Stop being lazy and look it up for yourself. Here, i'll give you a hand: www.google.com

wtf is this forum for if im not allowed to ask questions???
This is like when u ask a teacher how to spell something, and she/he says "look it up in the dictionary"..fuck that..someone whose NOT a fat old bastard with a bitter grudge..please help.

SPIDEI2MAN said:
This is like when u ask a teacher how to spell something, and she/he says "look it up in the dictionary"..fuck that..someone whose NOT a fat old bastard with a bitter grudge..please help.

SPIDEI2MAN, you need to chill.

IrfanView is a freeware graphics program that supports TGA files. :)

SPIDEI2MAN said:

If you ask with the right tone and more polite words, most ppl will,
Do we HAVE to answer what you asked? u want something, not that we want to give anything.

TGA is a standard graphic file format. or you can search for ACDSee

Fx02 said:

This coming from someone who spent 3K on an "alianware" that would get whooped on by MANY laptops for half the price. You're quite an asset. I'm not implying that i am myself, but just want to point out that many can say the same to you.

Fx02 said:

I had to laugh at this. This is a good smiley for him -->
google.gif

SPIDEI2MAN said:

The point is when you can go to google and put in 'tga viewer' and get 1000's of results, why do you ask here? Most people have no problem helping people out here after they do a little research on their own, but no one is getting paid to answer your question. You can also just as easily type in 'tga to jpg' and find out how to do that as well. It takes just as much time(or less) to go to google and learn for yourself. You will quickly learn no matter what forums you go to, if you ask stupid questions, people are going to tell you to:

1. Google it
2. STFU n00b
3. Ban your ass

Sucka said:
This coming from someone who spent 3K on an "alianware" that would get whooped on by MANY laptops for half the price.
I was actually gonna say the same thing, I was just trying to be nice :D

Back