What is going on with my system???

Reisen

Weaksauce
System:

i7 920
Asus P6T
6 gigs of RAM (could look at specs if it matters)
Corsair TX750 PSU
DVD-RW drive
150gig Raptor
HD 5870
Win 7 Pro x64

Long story short, the system was water cooled, I had a leak, but everything seemed fine. I had some minor issues with my GTX 260 (the leak went all over the card and the PCI-E slot), but cleaned it with alcohol, and it was running fine. Figured I would upgrade anyway, and picked up a 5870 a few weeks ago, along with 2 Samsung F4's for backup and additional storage (I did the bios patch).

A couple weeks of no problem, then last week, I started having an issue with two files that I was trying to backup to the F4's (one a picture, one a video). Hard drive kept clicking trying to access them, the system would hang for 30 seconds, then windows would tell me they couldn't be copied. Ok...

Yesterday, I start getting boot sector (BCR) errors, with the clicking (coming from the raptor). Windows won't load. Uh oh.

I pop in an old hard drive with a windows xp installation, it loads, and runs chkdsk on the raptor. I get a million sector errors. Ok, dead raptor. At least I had most everything backed up.

Here's where things get tricky. The computer keeps freezing at various points, even with the Raptor disconnected. Halfway through loading the BIOS, loading windows on the old drive, etc.

Possible things I can think of:

- Bad RAM
- A bad motherboard (seems most likely, since the coolant fell directly on the motherboard, but that's been months ago now...)
- Bad/underpowered Power Supply (although I would think a Corsair TX750 would be enough for my system, I see people running two of my cards in crossfire on that same psu).

Is it possible my Raptor is not actually dead, and this is a hard drive controller issue on the motherboard (not sure if that explains the freezing in the bios)? Is it possible/likely the drive failed at the same time as something else in the system?

Sounds like a bad hard drive to me. I would check its status with CrystalDiskInfo.

RMA'd the drive, new one coming Monday. That said, I don't think it's the drive. Or not only the drive.

I reinstalled on an old drive, and am getting some of the same problems I was getting before. Monitor signal not coming through consistently. Fan on graphics card not working correctly, resulting in slow performance, then a system hang.

I'm starting to think more and more it is either a graphic card issue with my new 5870, or a problem with my Mobo (Asus P6T). Maybe the freezes / heat / power issues corrupted the Raptor somehow...

RMA'd the drive, new one coming Monday. That said, I don't think it's the drive. Or not only the drive.

I reinstalled on an old drive, and am getting some of the same problems I was getting before.

What did CrystalDiskInfo say about your drive?

Back