What is security.local?

macrospect

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a question from one of my networking classes and was just wondering what it meant.

When you use the command:

ping HOST.security.local

what exactly are you pinging? What is security.local?

I also was wondering WHAT happens when you ping this?

If anyone could answer that for my I would much appreciate it!

Thanks!

$5 says .local is a private domain, and security.local is a nested domain located within this private domain.

Often situations that call for a private domain or separate internal and external DNS systems will be set up with the internal domain called .local, so that it isn't available on the internet. I personally use a 3-letter acronym for my company whenever I create a private domain, like test.esc, which won't resolve on the internet.

Awesome, thanks guys. I looked all over the place for the answer to that question! I know it had to do something with domains though!

In the case of my question, so if I ping it it will only test connectivity between computers only strictly inside the domain?

Some more thing, by nested do you mean that there is a user group named security which is part of the local domain?

Awesome, thanks guys. I looked all over the place for the answer to that question! I know it had to do something with domains though!

In the case of my question, so if I ping it it will only test connectivity between computers only strictly inside the domain?

Some more thing, by nested do you mean that there is a user group named security which is part of the local domain?

Actually, it was a mistake on my behalf. I was thinking too much.

In your instance, .local would replace what otherwise would be .com or .net
security replaces what would be hardforum or hardocp
and host is a host on the network.

The nest domain would be if there was a domain within the security domain. For example, you could create a domain called wireless within the security domain, and your host would be host.wireless.security.local

Great, thanks Vette. I completely understand what you mean! Great job in explaining what was meant by my question!

I am still wondering, that if you ping it will it only test connectivity inside the domain (ie. you are not concerned with internet connectivity just connectivity to the domain)?

Great, thanks Vette. I completely understand what you mean! Great job in explaining what was meant by my question!

I am still wondering, that if you ping it will it only test connectivity inside the domain (ie. you are not concerned with internet connectivity just connectivity to the domain)?

Right...you're pinging a local resource...most likely the domain controller..or some other resource on the network.

Back