What is the best monitor that money can currently buy?

Ranma13

Limp Gawd
What is the best monitor that money can currently buy? The criteria goes as follows:

1. Must be easily obtainable, so it must be in current production and easily purchased from a reputable retailer.
2. Size does not matter, but the bigger the better.
3. Must be an actual computer monitor and not a TV.
4. Must be the best monitor available for color-critical work. I run a photo/video studio and I need the best monitor possible for this kind of work.
5. Must not have an overly-strong anti-glare coating. When you're dealing with shades of color very close to white, a strong anti-glare coating is a deal-killer.

i think the dell u3011 and the 30" apple cinema display are some of the best out there right now. you probably want a 30" for the space and pixel density, and i believe those are the two best 30" displays available.

Unfortunately it isn't that simple.
What I can tell you is that what you're looking for right now will be using a H/S-IPS monitor panel.

Professional Grade: Your best bet is probably the most recent Eizo 30" model, the CG303W: http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cg303w/index.html

High End Consumer Grade: Dell U3011 or HP ZR30W (both 30")
I'm not sure about the Eizo but unfortunately for all their good these high end 30" panels usually come under criticism for their AG coating.

If you want something with a glossy finish then an Apple ACD 27" might be worth looking into. (Apple no longer makes a 30" version.)

However, it's not strictly the monitor brand you are looking for but the panel it uses. The best panel out there right now in IPS terms is probably a variant of LG's LM300WQ5. Allow me to point you to this resource: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_parts.htm

You want to look for monitors using the panel that best matches your requirements, and then weight up advantages and disadvantages of the monitors you are left with.

You may also want to read into Samsung's upcoming IPS variant, called Super PLS. This technology will be used in their upcoming 27" monitor, the SA850.

Ultimately you have to remember that even with monitors such as the Dell U3011, not all are created equal. What I do recommend is purchasing directly from the manufacturer, it seems from personal experience that the monitors that trickle down to sellers like Newegg and Amazon suffer worse from manufacturing defects such as backlight bleed, which is a common issue with these large monitors. This is not such a problem for people like me who would rather save some money and are only using the monitors for general use, but it is a factor a user such as yourself is probably concerned with.

Hopefully this helps rather than hinders you.

Last edited:
4. Must be the best monitor available for color-critical work. I run a photo/video studio and I need the best monitor possible for this kind of work.
what monitors are you using currently? Are you coming from CRT, from LCD and what sort?
You are looking for hardware calibrated displays which are Eizo CG series NEC spectraview series or Quato ones.

5. Must not have an overly-strong anti-glare coating. When you're dealing with shades of color very close to white, a strong anti-glare coating is a deal-killer.
since all current IPS crop comes with antiglare coating and without ATW polarizers, you will have to find one model that you consider acceptable to your own eyes, or choose one of NEC's 2090 /2190 uxi monitors that still are manufactured and have polarizers. Not sure what Quato has recently.
Or choose a ACD with a nice glossy surface, creating reflections of anything dark, just perfect for critical color editing.
Or go with SPVA (and gamma shift, narrower viewing angles etc)

If price is not a limiting factor, and you want the best of the best, Sony just released their new Trimaster series sporting OLED panels, which on paper leaves all LCD's in the dust.
They have a 25" one:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-monitors/cat-oledmonitors/product-BVME250/
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/17/sony-announces-17-inch-and-25-inch-trimaster-el-professional-ole/

"Best" is very subjective on someone's specific needs, but the best that meets your very specific criteria would likely be the 27" Apple Cinema display.

Just be sure to use soft dimmable lighting in the room, as its not just a lack of AG on it, but an actual reflective display.

If you are in an environment that is bright or doesn't have perfectly controllable lighting (like for myself there is a window behind me), then go with the Dell U3011.

I just got the HP ZR30w and it's fantastic, the AG coating isn't as bad as the Dell but I don't know how precise the colors are. Its brilliant nonetheless

I just got the HP ZR30w and it's fantastic, the AG coating isn't as bad as the Dell but I don't know how precise the colors are. Its brilliant nonetheless

This is getting ridiculous. Every second post is mentioning AG. Both Dell and HP monitors use the same panel.

nec 2490-sv

although not in current production, it should be readily avialiable, and based upon your criteria and specification- it's the monitor your looking for.

That is a relief to me. AG fever is spreading like an epidemic.

Well, I have a U2311H and the AG is bad. It makes it sparkly/rough and as far as I can tell it's the reason text doesn't seem as clear.

But in context, I was comparing HP to Dell to annoy you. ;)

There have been quite a few threads similar to this lately. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on whom you are asking), nearly every 2560x1440 and 2560x1600 panel on the market is built by LG and has a very, very aggressive AG coating. Expect "sparkle" galore.

If you want a 27"+ high resolution display that doesn't have a strong sparkly AG coating, that eliminates all but the following 3:

Apple LED Cinema Display 27"
Hazro 27" HZ27a (future)
Samsung 27" SA850 (future)

Oh lord. Dell, HP and Apple do not sell anything that is good for very color critical work. Your best bet is likely the 30" Eizo linked earlier.

The previously linked Eizo was an IPS and likely the same aggressive AG as all the other IPS screens.

Going back to the original criteria, there really is only one choice. Eizo PVA screens. Go to their product chooser:

http://www.eizo.com/global/iblick/productfinder/#s=s;4=5;16=1;h=3

Click on PVA screen and select from the remaining screens. Also if click on graphics design, soft proofing, video editing, the only screen that stays for all is this one:

http://www.eizo.com/global/products/coloredge/cg241w/index.html

It is the very definition of a PVA pro graphics monitor. But it wouldn't be my choice, It looks like this screen came out in 2007, so it is likely a bit off the state of the art. It looks like Eizo, has also moved it's top end graphic line to IPS like the rest of the industry. I would live with the AG and get a more modern pro IPS screen from NEC/Eizo.

Last edited:
From what I can tell this is the only forum that makes a big hoopla about antiglare coating. I've used various S-PVA and IPS displays over the years and IMO the coating on my Dell 3008WFP isn't really any worse. Sure, you can notice a slight sparkle effect on very light colors but you get used to it. I didn't even notice it until I read about it here. I suppose the high res and display size is what makes it more noticeable to people.

There really is no perfect monitor on the market, especially if you want a big really high res model. The expensive NECs and Eizos are great for color-critical work but apparently don't have that great response times and whatnot. The Dells are somewhere in between but some models have a fair bit of input lag making them worse for gaming plus apparently inconsistent quality. HP and Hazro have limited inputs and lack hardware for color adjustment. Apple has terribly inconvenient input (mini-Displayport) for anything but the latest Macs and ATI graphics cards.

There have been quite a few threads similar to this lately. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on whom you are asking), nearly every 2560x1440 and 2560x1600 panel on the market is built by LG and has a very, very aggressive AG coating. Expect "sparkle" galore.
So aggressive in fact that if you ask just about any regular Joe on the street to look at your LG screen and ask them if they can see the "sparkle", they will have no idea what you are talking about. Ask them if they can see "reflection" on a glossy screen though, and I can assure you there will not be any questions as to clarifying what you mean.

I knew about it in advance, so got all the details on what a return would cost me before purchase, unwrapped it, plugged it in, put up a color tester.... and if it wasn't specifically pointed out and I didn't know what I was looking for, never would have noticed it in the first place. :p

From what I can tell this is the only forum that makes a big hoopla about antiglare coating.

Oh, I've seen plenty of complaining about the AG coating over @ Tomshardware, Overclock, Macrumors, OCAU, and OverclockersUK.

So aggressive in fact that if you ask just about any regular Joe on the street to look at your LG screen and ask them if they can see the "sparkle", they will have no idea what you are talking about.

Um... okay Ducman69, whatever. Look, you like your display, that's fine and there's nothing wrong with that. I showed my U3011 to some friends who are not computer gurus and they immediately noticed the "sparkle". I also showed it to my mother who is not computer savvy and she seriously said it looked very grungy and glittery. So yes, I honestly do know several average Joes who can immediately recognize the fact that LG IPS panels look nothing like commonplace displays.

Last edited:
you guys for real?

Dell, apple, HP, Eizo, ? lol, those monitors do not compare to NEC

NEC 2690 or 3090 with spectraview will destroy them all..

ATW polarizer im sure wont be a big deal...

Also the only true CRT replacement is this... A high dollar 24" screen from HP... I have no disprespect for HP , but every other monitor they make are not on par with NEC high end spectra view monitors.

HP DreamColor LP2480zx Black-Silver 24" 6ms(GtoG) HDMI Widescreen Professional Display w/ LED Backlight & DreamColor Engine

1920 x 1200 1000:1 DVI*2 HDMI DisplayPort LED Backlight: Yes
DVI: 2
Video: S-Video, Composite, Component
USB 2.0: 4
Model #: GV546A4#ABA
Item #: N82E16824176097
Return Policy: Monitor Replacement Only Return Policy
Was: $2,999.99
Now: $2,899.99
$8.99 Shipping

Last edited:
I've been using the NEC 2690 version 1 with the A-TW polarizer, but the power button has been on the fritz and has recently failed. I believe the monitor still works, but without the ability to press the power button, I can't turn it on and use it. Sending it in for repairs is also cost-prohibitive, so I decided to pick up a new monitor instead.

I'd wait for the SA850 to come out before doing anything. It is aimed at the "professional" market, with 100% sRGB gamut, so it might be the one for you...and even though you say money doesn't matter, it will probably be vastly cheaper than an Eizo...

http://www.oled-display.net/sony-introduce-trimaster-el-oled-tv-series - "The OLED-Monitors are available in May for about 2.5 to 1.3 million yen."

Uh...am I reading that right? 1.3 to 2.5 million yen? As in, FIFTEEN TO THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS?

Last edited:
Uh...am I reading that right? 1.3 to 2.5 million yen? As in, FIFTEEN TO THIRTY THOUSAND DOLLARS?

Brand new technology, aimed at the professional market. Yes, it's that expensive :)

Regular LCD monitors aimed at the professional market are priced at 2k to 4k Euro, and up. It's no surprise that a professional OLED monitor would be this expensive.

They better have fixed the notorious OLED longevity issues on those...

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, why have the NEC monitors fallen out of favor? I hardly see them mentioned anymore on these forums. It can't be simply because they removed the A-TW polarizer, can it?

$ people want cheap IPS and they're are plenty around these days compared to past days when it was a lottery or none in certain sizes, NEC are still the best. Best using real Japanese electronics and caps, best bezel, Best stands, best warranty, best color, best everything.

I will by your 2490 if you're foolish enough to think you can replace it with something better. Seriously dude use that 4 year warranty. You got the best.

They better have fixed the notorious OLED longevity issues on those...

Those have been fixed for a long time now. Blue pixels, which have the shortest lifespan, can now match the lifespan of an LCD backlight. I'm pretty sure that's long enough :) There are also numerous new improvements coming up, among which is the Quantum LED technology, or QLED for short, of which Samsung demonstrated a prototype earlier this year.

... best bezel...
to be honest, I preferred the 14mm bezel of the 2090.
today that multimonitor setups are widely used and almost essential, most Necs come with at least 20mm+ bezels.
Only their digital signage videowall setups have ultraslim bezels but lowres.
Especially in pro monitors seamless multimonitor setups are much more important.

Just out of curiosity, why have the NEC monitors fallen out of favor? I hardly see them mentioned anymore on these forums. It can't be simply because they removed the A-TW polarizer, can it?

Quite a few recommendations for NEC was made in this thread already, beginning at the second response...

I've been using the NEC 2690 version 1 with the A-TW polarizer, but the power button has been on the fritz and has recently failed. I believe the monitor still works, but without the ability to press the power button, I can't turn it on and use it. Sending it in for repairs is also cost-prohibitive, so I decided to pick up a new monitor instead.

hmmm , mine is still under warrenty... Good for 4 years. So i have 1 year left...
I might just tell them to send me another one for the heck of it.. Since i will most likely get one with less hours on it..

NEC has awsome customer service

NEC makes the best IPS monitors ... for the money

Dell is junk
HP is alright but not up to NEC standards
Eizo Probably just as good as HP
LG & ASUS = ok for a average user
Other name brands = no idea

Yeah you can go out and spend 3-28k dollars but you will get probably 10-15 percent improvment over NEC

Look at the new HP LED i posted earlier in this thread.. It is the closest thing you can get to a CRT as far as performance

lets face it a big screen OLED is not a feasible option here... unless you have buku bucks...
like the other guy said earlier , NEC uses the best parts.. Japan

Here is my preference of for the best screens sold today buying the flagship models... Note Pioneer still produces the best plasma screen but is not sold anymore... Panasonic bought out Pioneers tech..

The top brands for TVs

Panasonic Plasma,
Samsung TVs Plasma
LG Plasmas
Sony LCD/LED
Samsung LED
Everything else junk

Computer LCD
NEC
HP
Ezio
everything else junk

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, everyone. I've settled on the Eizo CG245W. It's a little smaller than the NEC 2690 (24" vs. 25.5"), but I like the built-in color calibrator and the color blindness mode.

I did look at the Eizo CG303W (30-inch), but it's just a little too pricey ($5,000). I also looked at the NEC SpectraView series monitors, and for some reason the 2690 is not listed on NEC's website anymore, even though the 2490 is still there. It looks like maybe NEC is really making a push for PVA instead of IPS? Their PVA SpectraView monitors have a special discount running right now.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I've settled on the Eizo CG245W. It's a little smaller than the NEC 2690 (24" vs. 25.5"), but I like the built-in color calibrator and the color blindness mode.

I did look at the Eizo CG303W (30-inch), but it's just a little too pricey ($5,000). I also looked at the NEC SpectraView series monitors, and for some reason the 2690 is not listed on NEC's website anymore, even though the 2490 is still there. It looks like maybe NEC is really making a push for PVA instead of IPS? Their PVA SpectraView monitors have a special discount running right now.

The 25.5" panels in the 2690 looks like it is on the way out in favor of of the new 27" 2560x144 panels. Though due to the change in aspect, the new 27" is actually a bit less tall than the old 26" and a bit wider. http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?5ee3579f6b8308bf661e77473a6e0bfe

The modern comparable NECs are in the PA series:
24"
http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=5a6621b9-e9c4-4f02-8542-e6251364bf7c
27"
http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Product/?product=ea6da8b1-47a5-4ebf-8992-420aa57961ca

What do you mean NEC is pushing PVA?

ALL their high end, and expensive, is IPS same with Eizo. I see no PVA in the PA or 90 series save that 21" (LCD2190uxp). NEC and Eizo know better than to screw around with inferior technology except to mass market.

Anyway congrats should be awesome!

Back