What Is The Best Way To Apply AS5

rennyf77

2[H]4U
i use to follow the application method on the arctic silver site, but it didn't seem to get the contact patch i wanted. now i put a drop in the middle, wrap my finger with plastic wrap and smooth the material over the entire cpu surface.

the small drop in the middle is fine

the cores are really only under the very center of the heatspreader anyway

AS5 demonstrates that you should put a thin line across the cores but I found that I got better TIM coverage and overall temps by adding a second line to form a + sign on my CPU IHS.

First I clean the heatspreader with 99% isopropyl alcohol.Then I put half a BB in the center of the heatspreader and then using circular motions; spreading the AS5 around so the heatspreader is covered. Finally, I clean off any excess and intall the heatsink.

I like using a business card to spread a thin layer of AS5 like peanut butter and jelly across the surface of the heatsink.

dsc01167bi5.jpg

start off with a small bb sized ball in the middle, and spread. :)

I like using a business card to spread a thin layer of AS5 like peanut butter and jelly across the surface of the heatsink.

dsc01167bi5.jpg

start off with a small bb sized ball in the middle, and spread. :)

i also do this on my q6600.

it works alot beter than the thin line.

That looks A LOT to me.

It might look like a lot in a photo, but if you do it right it's actually quite a thin spread.

Place a small drop, spread with finger in a new clean Baggie, and then spread with a credit card or similar. Keep spreading it out and it will end up to be a very thin layer.

steve

Wow, lots of advice in this thread. I would recommend you follow the instructions published by AS :)

Here is a shot of my q6600 installed in the MB with AS5 right before I added the HS. This photo shows a thick line but you should target a thinner one; the red triangle I drew shows where that tag is on the CPU, remember that on quad core chips, the dies are placed in a different located relative to a dual core...

line800qe9.jpg

I always spread mine out too, but even using the same method you can get a deg or 2 difference when it comes time to slap the HS on. Too many variables.

graysky, doesnt lapping the cpu void the warranty?

Why yes, yes it does.
But so does: overclocking,aftermarket coolers(air),aftermarket coolers(water), aftermarket thermal interface other than that recommended by Intel,kissing your sister:eek:,going commando,and cursing at your mother.

Anyway, do what AS tells you to do........they wrote the book and make the stuff.:D

I used to use the rice grain method, but recently I've been using a razor blade to carefully spread out a thin coating and have gotten superior results.

well i use shin estu.. spreading that stuff is hard as hell... its really thick and pretty dry
but like komquat said i have to use a razer to spread it a card just doesnt cut it..

I used to use the rice grain method, but recently I've been using a razor blade to carefully spread out a thin coating and have gotten superior results.
thats what i always do.

Back