What is the Fastest AGP Solution?

Barrack

n00b
If I am not mistaken it is the x850xt pe.. However, does anyone know if there are any plans or possibility even for an agp version of the new ati cards? Also, has anyone heard of any plans for a GTO2 AGP solution?

I want to know before I spend $420 on a Sapphire 256meg x850xt PE AGP.

Also, while I am asking, the Sapphire card I mention which is listed as a 4x/8x card will work on a 2x/4x AGP intel 850 chipset motherboard, correct?

Thanks for any help in advance :)

You still have 2x/4x AGP? What are the specs of your cpu, mobo, ram? Also my suggestion is the x850xt OC it or teh x800xt OC it... both those cards can be OC'ed to platinum speeds (pe speeds).

GFreeman9 said:
You still have 2x/4x AGP? What are the specs of your cpu, mobo, ram? Also my suggestion is the x850xt OC it or teh x800xt OC it... both those cards can be OC'ed to platinum speeds (pe speeds).

i see where ur going. there might be a bottleneck in his system, but at least with the X850 his minium FPS will always be pretty high, lol..

I have a 3.0ghz p4 (c), my mobo is a dell 8250 varient of the i850 chipset with 1g of rdram @ 2x 532mhz

It sucks because I don't want to upgrade my entire system as with my radeon 9700 pro I can still run a third of the new games on max settings in 1600x1200 with 2x aa.. I am not just looking for a card only for gaming but multimedia aspects as well not to mention I need hdtv out so the visiontek version is out of the window.

Is there ANY difference between the x850 xt and the xt pe other than a slight increase in speed? Otherwise you guys are right and I can save $100 on just getting the xt...

It's just so frustrating that I can't think straight because here I go and spend $5000 on a badass system three years ago and it is worth crap now only because of the agp motherboard... sigh...

I appreciate your input a lot! Any other ideas you guys have would be great:)

Barrack said:
I have a 3.0ghz p4 (c), my mobo is a dell 8250 varient of the i850 chipset with 1g of rdram @ 2x 532mhz

It sucks because I don't want to upgrade my entire system as with my radeon 9700 pro I can still run a third of the new games on max settings in 1600x1200 with 2x aa.. I am not just looking for a card only for gaming but multimedia aspects as well not to mention I need hdtv out so the visiontek version is out of the window.

Is there ANY difference between the x850 xt and the xt pe other than a slight increase in speed? Otherwise you guys are right and I can save $100 on just getting the xt...

It's just so frustrating that I can't think straight because here I go and spend $5000 on a badass system three years ago and it is worth crap now only because of the agp motherboard... sigh...

I appreciate your input a lot! Any other ideas you guys have would be great:)

No, the only difference between the XT and the XT PE is clockspeed.

Erm, I really doubt that Dell PSU will be able to handle a x8x0 card... And you can't even swap your PSU's due to the propriety issue. (well, I know there are some models that don't do this, but I do not know of them. If his is one of these, please feel free to correct me.)

If I remember correctly, Dell stopped doing the odd ATX header thing a *long* time ago.

Also, since you're running a 9700 Pro fine right now, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The x8x0 line is pretty close in power consumption to the 9700/9800 line.
You should see quite a nice jump from that 9700 as well (and the only difference between the XT and XTPE is a few MHz, not worth $100 really).

As for the AGP being outdated thing, it's still got plenty of life in it (PCI-E shows no real benefit except for SLi and the newest cards anyway). It's not like anyone can ever force you to change to PCI-E just because it's 'newer'.

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions!

Thanks a lot UltraCow and everyone else! I think I am going to order the ati x850 xt from circuit city at the link LawGiver provided because it is only $320 and the best deal I could find... Yeah, I was just reading some benchmarks comparing the xt and xt pe.. There is little point to spending $100 on something I can OC to very easy.

If it turns out my powersupply or motherboard can't handle it I'll just return the sucker to circuit city which is comforting to know compared to buying from some basement run yahoo store with no return policy.

Thanks again,

-Barrack

Very funny vanilla, if only things were that simple... With rdram and a special cooling system for this dell variant chipset I would need more than just a new mobo...

All the money it would cost isn't worth the performance difference at this time. All I need right now is a new videocard because my system despite being 3 years old can still pack a punch.

I am hoping this x850 xt videocard will give me 6 months to a year longer of hardcore gaming or until it is actually worth the money for a new computer.

Not the fastest by any means, but a refurbed X800 Pro AGP can be had fairly cheap from ATI.com. In my machine it slaps my old 9600XT pretty hard.

Just built an Intel Pentium-D box with a Saphire PCI-Express Video card. I used the Intel D945GNT Mainboard and 4 Gigs of DDR2 XMS memory. Raptor 74 gig hard drive and a 200 Gig Barracuda as storage. Where is a good place to get a good benchmarking utility? I am not going to overclock this system but also have an AMD Athlon 64 with 3 gigs RAM and an 6600 GT video Card. This box i want to overclock. Do you think dual core is worth the expense?

rgold28 said:
Just built an Intel Pentium-D box with a Saphire PCI-Express Video card. I used the Intel D945GNT Mainboard and 4 Gigs of DDR2 XMS memory. Raptor 74 gig hard drive and a 200 Gig Barracuda as storage. Where is a good place to get a good benchmarking utility? I am not going to overclock this system but also have an AMD Athlon 64 with 3 gigs RAM and an 6600 GT video Card. This box i want to overclock. Do you think dual core is worth the expense?

i think you need more ram :p ;)

why did u get SO much ram?

a 'good' benching utility is 3dmark05(for graphics)
if you want to see ur ingame performance download fraps...

oh yeh and the x850xt(pe) is the fastest agp solution....trust me you wont regeret buying it

rgold28 said:

Here is a good spot for ur benchmark utls. http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=4

Nice boxes

make sure your shitty dell motherboard can support 256 mb of video ram

i know my old dell could only support 32mb @ agp 2x

i was pissed when i bought my gf4 128mb and i didnt get any performance boost

Well, since neither Nvidia or ATI are going to release a flagship AGP card, I'll stick with 5 year old humor for now:

bf3d20009lj.jpg

heh with how quickly video cards have advanced, I think even if you could get all those chips to run simultaneosly at 100% efficiency, a single X850 XT PE would probably be like 10x as fast or more.

Now if only CPUs were to advance the way they did eight years ago..

I grabbed that great deal $320 on the x850 xt from circuit city and it's being shipped ;) MMM, with all these new games coming out for the holiday season I am going to be keeping busy ;P

As for my shitty dell mobo supporting 256megs, it already does with my 9700pro.. It's an old card now but that card has a great deal of my respect...

I'm pretty sure that the amount of video memory hasn't been a compatibility issue since AGP 2x (if it was even an issue with the standard itself).

Oh, and one thing you might want to be aware of if you don't already know, the x850XT stock cooler is supposed to be pretty loud when it ramps up.

Mind you, an X850XT cooler hardly ever ramps up. Except when you boot your computer. Which makes the point moot I guess.

Project_2501 said:
Mind you, an X850XT cooler hardly ever ramps up. Except when you boot your computer. Which makes the point moot I guess.

Thanks for clarifying. I haven't actually heard an x850XT in person yet, just from what others have reported. Good to know it stays at a lower fan speed.

With Rivatuner you should be able to set fan speeds to your liking. I know I could on my 6800nu.

Chickan said:
With Rivatuner you should be able to set fan speeds to your liking. I know I could on my 6800nu.

Not sure about RT for ATI cards (don't have it installed at the moment), but ATI Tray Tools can do that. You can set your own fan temp thresholds (ie, you specifiy what fan speed at what temp) and save it in a profile.

This is how I use it; I have two different profiles, one for 2D and one for 3D. The 3D one has has the fan come on at at a lower temp than on the 2D profile. Then I just have it do the auto 2D/3D mode switch thing, loading the appropriate profile. This way it runs in 2D with no fan at all; and it the temps stay within spec. :)

Back