What is the purpose of Dual ethernet ports ??

Mike160

Limp Gawd
Call me stupid... ;) but what is the point of having dual ethernet ports on a motherboard ??

Can you actually use both at the same time ??, and if so how does this translate into a better network or internet "experience" ??

Thanks

Yep. Upcoming boards (and currently some very high end boards) allow you to bridge the connections allowing for twice the available bandwidth. If you notice, in my sig, I have 4 1gb ethernet ports in my G5, which share internet access to the other computers/routers in my house. The main use for me, is getting 1 computer to share the net access to others.

I use one port for my DSL, and the other for my network (crossover cable to my HTPC), so I don't need a router/switch. It's bridged for ICS.

I think the original intent was to do internet sharing cheapy between two computers without having to buy a router.

Arcygenical said:
Yep. Upcoming boards (and currently some very high end boards) allow you to bridge the connections allowing for twice the available bandwidth

so could i use both eathernet connections on my DFi board like that? if so could i bridge those and say a wireless card for 3 times the bandwith?

Renswic said:
so could i use both eathernet connections on my DFi board like that? if so could i bridge those and say a wireless card for 3 times the bandwith?

Back in the days, that was called 'shotgunning' 2 connections; Most notably done with 2 56k lines to create a sort of ISDN line.

That is not possible with Windows XP... You need software to route the packets correctly; It is not native to XP.

I personally use my 2 ethernet for a public LAN and a private LAN. The private LAN has a small file server used for personal documents, my email databases, and my pictures... the public LAN has the rest of the house and the internet... They can't get to the private lan without first hacking my computer.

okay, this dual port quesiton is coming up like EVERY other day!

SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!

and no you cna not combine 3 diff conneciton to make one super fast one,unless you found servers on the net that would support it.

Xp wont let you choose what application can use what port / connection either, basiclaly to do that type of thing you need to spend mad money$$$$ on super high end hardware.

what about bridgeing the 2 wired ports together? is that possable?

I suppose if you could bridge a wireless connection to a wired connection, or a wireless to wireless connection, then yes... you should be able to bridge a wired connection to a wired connection.

Though... it'd probably be smarter to just use a switch. But eh, I guess if you wanted to control the access for half the network...

Back