What is the thing where I can buy like 10 licenses of OS's and Office etc?

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
My buddies did this like 2 years ago, they bought some thing from Microsoft that was like $500? or $1000? or something that included Vista 10 licenses, Office licenses, Microsoft Maps, Exchange Server 2K3 R2 server etc....? It all came in like a big binder for IT professionals or something?

Anyone have a link? or something?

Thanks

I don't know the qualifications, but typically TechNet is only for companies, or I.T. support professionals to use in a lab, aka learning, environment. I'm always a little worried when I see people who don't fit that bill trying to sign up, because I'm worried it will be ruined for those who use it legitimitely. Then again, I guess if Microsoft isn't more strict, than so be it. I would recommend the Direct Plus, because you don't need to wait for binders....you just download what you need.

I don't know the qualifications, but typically TechNet is only for companies, or I.T. support professionals to use in a lab, aka learning, environment. I'm always a little worried when I see people who don't fit that bill trying to sign up, because I'm worried it will be ruined for those who use it legitimitely. Then again, I guess if Microsoft isn't more strict, than so be it. I would recommend the Direct Plus, because you don't need to wait for binders....you just download what you need.

No, there are no qualifications for the retail TechNet its completely wide open. I don't know why you would be worried. I mean Microsoft has a web site for anyone to buy it so if they were worried about it they could add some restrictions as they do with academic licenses. If they are worried, I'm not worred.

Also with the cheap version of TechNet its all online, no media is supplied. Really if you want Windows and Office this is the best way to get it. 10 copies, no expiration, Office and all versions of Windows $350. That just isn't a lot of money IMHO for what you get and compared to retail its a steal and its perfectly legal an legit.

What is the difference between the MSDN subscription and the Technet subscriptions?

And I am using this in the boundries as to what microsoft says. Its not for me personally anyway, its for my job and our IT section

Since you mention '10' licenses, Im going to mention the Microsof Action Pack, that specifically comes with 10 client licenses (XP/Vista) 10 office Licenses (2007) and then the server OS's (including WHS)

$299+shipping I believe

Since you mention '10' licenses, Im going to mention the Microsof Action Pack, that specifically comes with 10 client licenses (XP/Vista) 10 office Licenses (2007) and then the server OS's (including WHS)

$299+shipping I believe

Yeah, I remember something like this program a while back. Looks more comprehensive than TechNet but with a few more strings. Definitely work a look.

$299+shipping I believe

Yup...Action Pack fits the bill perfectly.

But officially you dont 'buy' the licenses, they are good for as long as you have your subscription...ie pay each year

The Action Pack is a yearly subscription. The licenses expire if you don't pay $299.00 per year. The Technet licenses are permanent even if you let your subscription lapse.

https://partner.microsoft.com/40016455

Microsoft Action Pack Subscription (MAPS) provides Registered Members of the Microsoft Partner Program internal-use, full-version software and sales resources at $299 per year plus tax to help you meet your sales goals, stay competitive, and grow your business.

How many licenses come with TechNet for each product does TechNet come with? I'm having some difficulty navigating thru the TechNet website to find out.

I've dealt with all three over the years.

Technet and MSDN: your licenses continue even if you drop the subscription, you just cannot get additional new software. You are also licensing the software only for testing or development use respecitvely.

Action Pack: you are actually licensing the software for day to day production use on your own computers, but you have to pay the annual fee to keep using the licesnses.

re: TechNet
I have a TechNet Direct Plus subscription, but I didn't realize that you can actually get 10 license keys per product. I thought it was limited to 3? Can't find any info about it on TechNet either, that website really blows for the most part (vids are great).

Oh and I forgot to answer the differences between MSDN and Technet:

Technet is a subscription to the Operating systems, software and technical library targeted at support and admin types.

MSDN includes Visual studio and is targeted specifically at developers instead of support staff.

MSDN runs a lot more since you're paying for VS.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb892759.aspx

Technically the products are for evaluation purposes. However I've been using MSDN/TechNet for 13 years and lets just say that its not quite like that in the real world.

But yes the licenses are perpetual so in essence you are perpetually allowed to evaluate.

Basically, you are saying long as I can prove BobJoe is testing the OS, then I can install it, and have him use it long as I want. I guess it is feasible to say, Company A who has 20 users, I can buy a Technet subscription for them and install it on ten computers.

Basically, you are saying long as I can prove BobJoe is testing the OS, then I can install it, and have him use it long as I want. I guess it is feasible to say, Company A who has 20 users, I can buy a Technet subscription for them and install it on ten computers.

That's how I've looked at it and I think that's how Microsoft looks at it as well. People have been pointing these programs out to general consumers for many years and I think that its just part of the Microsoft model. Some will pay for Windows with a new PC. Some will get an academic price. Some will get corporate license. Some will pirate. Some will buy retail. Some will use one of our programs like TechNet/MSDN etc.

People complain about the number of Windows versions, boy just try counting the number of way to acquire Windows! But if you're smart Windows is pretty cheap.

That's how I've looked at it and I think that's how Microsoft looks at it as well. People have been pointing these programs out to general consumers for many years and I think that its just part of the Microsoft model. Some will pay for Windows with a new PC. Some will get an academic price. Some will get corporate license. Some will pirate. Some will buy retail. Some will use one of our programs like TechNet/MSDN etc.

People complain about the number of Windows versions, boy just try counting the number of way to acquire Windows! But if you're smart Windows is pretty cheap.

Thanks for the tip. That can save insane amount of money for a small business that wants Windows. I just want to more clear. So, I can buy another one year subscription for a small business ABC then I'm done. They legally purchased all the license they need. All of this transaction is legally OK by MS without getting sued? Can they also buy another subscription after six to seven years when it is time to upgrade?

Thanks for the tip. That can save insane amount of money for a small business that wants Windows. I just want to more clear. So, I can buy another one year subscription for a small business ABC then I'm done. They legally purchased all the license they need. All of this transaction is legally OK by MS without getting sued? Can they also buy another subscription after six to seven years when it is time to upgrade?

All I can say is what I know. I and many people I know use MSDN and TechNet and have never had any problems. Technically, the OS'es and apps that come with them are supposed to be used only for testing purposes and production. But I've never known anyone thats used the products as they see sit have any problems, no activation issues, no lawsuits.

And these subscriptions come up all the time in forums like these and I've never heard anyone complain about any problems.

So look into and see what you think.

With TechNet there is no limit on how many machines you install it on, but the software is for use by the TechNet member.. so if YOU have 20 machines, you're covered with a subscription to TechNet... the OFFICE has 20 machines? That'd be 20 TechNet subscriptions... so it's not really the tool for the job. Action Pack / Volume Licenses.

With TechNet there is no limit on how many machines you install it on, but the software is for use by the TechNet member.. so if YOU have 20 machines, you're covered with a subscription to TechNet... the OFFICE has 20 machines? That'd be 20 TechNet subscriptions... so it's not really the tool for the job. Action Pack / Volume Licenses.

The licensing for that Action Pack is definitely geared for production use and is probably the better way to go. That is only for a year but that 10 copies of word and office, $30 a pop, that just isn't enough money to register for what you get.

It would not be ok to use Technet in the manner you're describing. As someone said above it is licensed for one individual. The Action Pack would be more inline with what you want, but the company would need to buy the Action Pack and they're supposed to be involved in some sort of software/hardware/development sales in order to purchase that.

It would not be ok to use Technet in the manner you're describing. As someone said above it is licensed for one individual. The Action Pack would be more inline with what you want, but the company would need to buy the Action Pack and they're supposed to be involved in some sort of software/hardware/development sales in order to purchase that.

Well... I'm going to research few things later this week. It would be nice if this was possible. It would be an insane saving.

Back