What is this?

LunchboX3904

[H]ard|Gawd
uhoh6fx.jpg

uhoh27sg.jpg

I went to a ken's camera store and quickly checked out a lens then put mine back on and went on shooting throughout the day and found this in many of my photos. It's probably in all on them you just can't see it in some. I'm assuming it's dust or something somewhere, but I was wondering if I can take care of it. Thanks.

Is it on the same place every time? Visible at all f-stops, or just when you're stopped down? There when you change lenses?

Like fugu asked. Looks like a some dirt on the CCD. I had that and, blew it off. If it is with the single lens then look at the inside element of the lens and, see if there is a smudge or, some dust.

Joves said:
Like fugu asked. Looks like a some dirt on the CCD. I had that and, blew it off. If it is with the single lens then look at the inside element of the lens and, see if there is a smudge or, some dust.
Should I use one of those little round blower things or can I just use my breath? And yes, it's a Nikon D50 SLR.

Since it seems to move around, it must be a dust bunny. Do not breathe on the sensor - get a "blower thingy".

PS-RagE said:
Since it seems to move around, it must be a dust bunny. Do not breathe on the sensor - get a "blower thingy".
roger that.

it actually stays in the same place but changes size depending on focal length.

that looks alot more serious then dust. It almost looks like a flaw or something in your sensor. use the blower to see if that effects it. but i would hazard a guess that your gonna have to send that into nikon.

but for the love of god do not use a compressed air can!

get one of those finger-pumped "Air Rockets"

LunchboX3904 said:
::UPDATE::

I started playin' around some more and found out that it gets more concentrated the smaller the apeture.

Sounds like crud on your sensor then. I'd look into getting it cleaned.

yea, i know not to use canned air. I'll try one of those bulb blowers. So do I use the mirror lock-up thing to clean the sensor? I can just read about that in the manual.

The reason those last few pictures look so bad is because I was at f/40 (the most concentrated it gets) and I was at a slightly slow shutter speed so it had time to stand out in the pic. Thanks for the advice.

Just get the earwax removal kit at the drugstore with the bulb. Mine cost me $5 that way. I lock the mirror up and tilt the camera down and, use the air blower. That way all the dust falls out. Start by blowing the mirror first, then the CCD, that way if there is any dust on the mirror it dosent fall on the snsor later. I change lenses alot and, here in Az i get dust in there, cant be helped. Even when I keep the mount pointed down to put the lense in. If you have a magnifying glass look at the sensor in bright light first and, see if there is a visable smudge.

Joves said:
Just get the earwax removal kit at the drugstore with the bulb. Mine cost me $5 that way. I lock the mirror up and tilt the camera down and, use the air blower. That way all the dust falls out. Start by blowing the mirror first, then the CCD, that way if there is any dust on the mirror it dosent fall on the snsor later. I change lenses alot and, here in Az i get dust in there, cant be helped. Even when I keep the mount pointed down to put the lense in. If you have a magnifying glass look at the sensor in bright light first and, see if there is a visable smudge.
yea, my sister needed one of those kits so we have one of those bulbs and the only thing it's touched is water, but it's totally dry now. Would that be safe to use?? Thanks for the steps, that helps a lot.

Its almost like its a liqued on the CCD..

See how it amps the light comming thru it? maybe mechinal oil or something

By any chance have you got another decent camera to take a Macro shot of the CCD with the miror locked up?

OK....

I located a bulb blower and took the lens off and blew off everything from the mirror very well. And the spot still exsisted. So I went ahead and used the mirror lockup and immediately saw the little bugger. It's just a tiny little spot of something on whatever is behind the mirror (low-pass filter?). I tried the blower quite a bit and the thing wouldn't budge so it's not dust. I am a (very) part-time photographer's assistent who is a really nice guy and I gave him a call and asked him how to clean it. He said there's this stuff he uses called eclipse sensor cleaner, but he didn't have any, so he ordered 2 bottles for me and him and is just gonna let me have one of em. :D Anyway, I'm gonna head over to his house when he gets it in the mail and he'll show me how to clean it properly. Can't wait cause the weather is getting really good here. Thanks so very much for helping out guys. Hopefully all goes well with the cleaning. :D

He is talking about this product www.photosol.com/swabproduct.htm . I have the swabs they are very safe for cleaning a CCD. If you follow the instructions. Just pick the one for your model camera, they are very handy to have around, you have to get the Eclipse drops seperately.

Back