What is "too hot" for a 8800GT?

DefBringer

Limp Gawd
With an overclock I'm getting up to 72-75 C after some Crysis. Idle is around 55C.

Fan speed set to 65%, setting it higher seems to make a lot more noise but not much more cooling.

I'm a little surprised because I thought I had good case cooling, my OC'd C2D never hits 40 C. Bad card maybe?

No artifacting or anything in Crysis, game plays great...I am just concerned about blowing my card up.

That sounds about normal for that card.

The reference cooler for 8800GT is not very good, if the heat bothers you, maybe you should think about 3rd party cooler for the card.

And to answer the question you had, I guess over 90c starts to be bit over the top. Still I see some people merrily gaming with their 8800GT, even if the card runs like a nuclear reactor.

yea that seems normal for what ive been reading. If its to high for you or you are not comfortable about it just get a after market Cooler, most nvidia card manufacturers -ie evga and so forth allow you to do this without voiding the warranty.

Guys -

Thanks a lot for your post. Knowing I'm not damaging my card makes me feel a lot better!

75c is cool!
On my stock 8800GT, with stock fan parameters, I hit 106c after an hour of Crysis.....:eek:

With the fan at 55% it runs ~83c...big difference!

68% on Rivatuner:

49 idle
70 after hours of gaming and 3dmark

Oh yeah, and I'm OC'ed 698/i forget/9something...lol sorry.

My question sort of relates, how do i adjust 2d and 3d fan speed independently? I'm using rivatuner and when i move the slider for 3d and hit apply the other couple of sliders move to where the 3d one is set. I am doing this under driver settings, not low-level system tweaks. Any help would be appreciated as I don't want to hear the fan all the time.

You can't. For now you can only set the performance 3D setting, which controls the fan in all settings. Best bet is to set it as high as you can tolerate and leave it be.

You can't. For now you can only set the performance 3D setting, which controls the fan in all settings. Best bet is to set it as high as you can tolerate and leave it be.

No, there is a better way, you can set fan speeds to change with temperature increases. Read this guide...works wonderfully! Mine runs at 30% at anything less than 55c, then gradually speeds up to a max of 75% If it hits 87c, which it never does now. You still can't change 2d and 3d independent, but with this way, no need to.

http://www.vaguesoft.com/users/dwood/blog/tutorials/rivatuner/

But don't you need Rivatuner running and the monitor open for that to work? I just prefer to have a driver level setting that is tolerable noise-wise and effective cooling-wise. But that's just me. ;)

But don't you need Rivatuner running and the monitor open for that to work? I just prefer to have a driver level setting that is tolerable noise-wise and effective cooling-wise. But that's just me. ;)

It's not just you... :)

Bottom line is the cards and the components used (including and especially the GPU) are rated to run at well over 100 degrees celsius operating temperature. A load temp in the 70's is actually quite good for the 8800GT and I'd be happy with that since some of us are seeing load temps in the 90's.

If your card works don't worry about it. And if you insist on worrying about it invest in a good third party cooler. :p :)

You set it for "background" monitoring......nothing showing but the fan speed profile is active.

It does not drag down your rig, very small footprint.

I dont think the stock cooler is that bad considering it cools the vregs, memory and core, it just has a noisy fan. It runs 10 degrees cooler than my gts did at full fan speed.

I have my 8800GT running at 729/1782/999 (real clocks). I have the auto fan parameters tweaked so that it ramps up starting when the core gets to about 70C. With this setting I get a max of around 76C at which point the fan is only spinning at about 45%.

It's also very warm here in Orange County so I'd say that's not half bad. Let me know if you guys want me to post my fan settings.

I've heard of some running it at 99 C just fine. That's a bit high, i think, though..

My X1900XTX could do up to around 98 C before crashing at maybe 102. That Zalman VF900 actually performed worse than the stock cooler at auto settings--I had to return it despite the 15% restocking fee.

100°C isn't going to fry your card instantly and is acceptable. Long term usage at that temperature will probably take its toll after a few years though. If you're really worried about it, consider taking the heatsink off and applying arctic silver, which could drop your temps by 15°C, or replace the heatsink entirely.

Back