what is wrong with Vista not outputting 5.1 via S/PDIF

I have 5.1 Sony surround speakers (see sig), more specifically, my Sony STR-K7200 receiver that is connected to my mobo's integrated optical input. The problem is that when I play a .mkv file for example that I know uses 5.1 audio, it does not output 5.1. I only hear sound coming from the front two speakers and the sub, in other words 2.1 sound instead of 5.1. I've read that AC3Filter is supposed to fix the problem but it hasn't for me. What do I need to get this to work? I might be buying a X-Fi soundcard from Amazon tommorrow night so maybe that will work @ 5.1 natively without having to mess around with filters. Anybody have any input on this?

Last edited:
Yes, this is an AC3Filter issue and has absolutely nothing to do with vista.

When you open the AC3Filter Control Panel you should just be able to set the output format to "AS IS (no change)" and check the box below that that says "Use SPDIF".

Yes, this is an AC3Filter issue and has absolutely nothing to do with vista.

When you open the AC3Filter Control Panel you should just be able to set the output format to "AS IS (no change)" and check the box below that that says "Use SPDIF".

QFT

My only output options in AC3Filter are 16, 24, and 24 bit PCM. I already had SPDIF checked, that was the first setting I changed. My problem now is that I do not get any audio when playing an .mkv through Media Player Classic. Maybe somethings conflicting? I have both ffdshow audio decoder and AC3Filter installed, but it looks like MPC is only using AC3Filter and ffdshow video converter so I'm not sure.

My main settings:
51audiosettings.jpg

edit - OK I have sound working again in MPC but still only 2.1.

Last edited:
You don't have the option to change the top box?

ac3filter.jpg

You can also go to the SPDIF tab and make sure DTS, etc are checked to also passthrough, in case it's a DTS movie.

Ok I got "true" 5.1 working. My problem was that I only had 96kHz checked as supported under Vista's Control Panel. Thanks for the help guys.

Back