What I've dediced on.

Frag0Lution

Limp Gawd
Alright, I have decided on getting two XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 512mb - Alpha Dog Edition videocards for my new rig. I saw some benchmarks, and it beat the GTX and GT and even the Ultra is a few of them. What do you guys think of this purchase?

geforce_8800gts_both.jpg

GT is still the best price/performance purchase. It's your money though. The benchmarks I've seen show little increase to the GT.

If you want 3-10 fps increase for $60-80 more that's fine. You'll be very happy with the GTS.

If one wants a cool and quiet video card (you've got to pick one with the 8800 GT), then you'd have to buy an after-market cooler for the GT, probably $30 minimum after shipping if you don't already have one from a previous card that will fit. If that is the case, then with prices the way they are, it doesn't cost that much more for the GTS 512. Whlie it may not be worth $60-$80, it may well be worth $20-$50. Even better if it's bundled with a game you want. Even better than that if you can score a GTS 512 for around $300 instead of $360+, like the BFG [H] deal or the PNY at Fry's, which, albeit, the OP isn't going to if he's going with XFX. Still, the GTS 512 can be a better deal than the GT if the circumstances are right.

Back