What kinda wall is this? All was going so so good with G0 Stepping....

96redformula

2[H]4U

I have been upping the overclock on my g0 today and it has been going flawless up until now. Lemme show you all the problem, I am not sure it is CPU related as it comes so abruptly. All cores under 50C at load.

Q6600 G0 Stepping

2.40 @ Stock volts

2.60 @ Stock Volts

2.80 @ Stock Volts

3.00 @ Stock Volts

3.20 @ 1.275V

3.30 @ 1.30V

3.40 @ 1.325V

3.50 @ 1.350V

3.50+ is not booting no matter what Voltage I am trying. It won't post, but does something similar to the famous DS3 Cold Boot Problem.

What do you all think the problem is? My Enhance 500W PSU, My motherboard, The Bios (F12), or the G0's are binned to the extreme.

Usual Motherboard settings are:

CPU Multiplier X9
FSB failing speed 400-405
RAM 2.0xmultiplier 2.0V
FSB +.1
G(MCH) +.1

I have tried upping the FSB voltage and G(MCH) voltage to +.2, but it is not making a difference. The ram is good up to DDR1050 and I have it running DDR800 so that is not a problem either.

which rev of the motherboard do you have? .. I have same motherboard (but the 2nd rev). Q6600 G0 stepping works fine with F12 Bios?

I have been upping the overclock on my g0 today and it has been going flawless up until now. Lemme show you all the problem, I am not sure it is CPU related as it comes so abruptly. All cores under 50C at load.

Q6600 G0 Stepping

2.40 @ Stock volts

2.60 @ Stock Volts

2.80 @ Stock Volts

3.00 @ Stock Volts

3.20 @ 1.275V

3.30 @ 1.30V

3.40 @ 1.325V

3.50 @ 1.350V

3.50+ is not booting no matter what Voltage I am trying. It won't post, but does something similar to the famous DS3 Cold Boot Problem.

What do you all think the problem is? My Enhance 500W PSU, My motherboard, The Bios (F12), or the G0's are binned to the extreme.

I'm assuming you have a DS3 mobo if your using F12 bios. As far as I know there are some DS3 (or more) that had problems going to FSB speeds of 400+. I highly doubt it's your prcessor and I miean HIGHLY. And I also highly doubt it's your ram. I'd say the problem lies in the mobo. I would trying clocking that bad boy on a reference 680i board from evga you could. I'm pretty sure your processor is very well capable of hitting 3.5Ghz, especially when up until then you hadn't gone much up above stock volts. Those G0 chips are amazing, to bad he one I got the other day was a B3 :(. Oh well I was hoping to get a max overclock of about 3.2Ghz on mine with an Ultra-120 Extreme which I think will be doable.

The 2 bios settings that weigh heavily on how high fsb can go are your MCH/NB voltage and your CPUVTT. I would fiddle with these and see if that may be whats holding you back. I have an e6750 and these are just coming to life at 3.5.

I'd say mobo as well...but is anyone else also wondering about that PSU?

Pushing 4 cores at 3.5GHz has got to be pulling some serious load on the 12V rail. And while it's not like 500W is tiny...Enhance is no Corsair or PCP&C. If the mobo switch doesn't pan out I would try to find a nicer psu from a friend or something.

Same wall I ran into on my E6600 and DS3 - except I hit the wall at 3.4GHz

It's not the PSU, I've actually measured a very stable 12V rail which goes from 11.99V idle to 11.98V GPU+CPU loaded. The chip itself has done 3.6GHz on a different board, and my RAM isn't even running close to what it could do... so motherboard is the problem.

Try with x9 multiplier and make sure your NB/FSB voltages are sufficient at the given FSB. You Q6600 would appreciate if you let it run to its max OC speed at x9 multiplier, speaking from my experience;)

I agree, CPU's tend to act schizophrenic before they refuse to boot. The incremental methodology you adopted concludes it's highly probable there's another factor at play.

I vote for the mobo.

Oh, there is a way to get around this, but it's very inconvinient to run an overclock above 3.5Ghz...

Set 400x8 in the bios, but set all your voltages as if you were going to run 3.6GHz. Save and reboot. Go back into the bios, and change the multi to x9, save and reboot, and it should boot at 3.6GHz. This works for me, but it cannot cold boot at this speed. :( If I turn the computer off all my overclock settings will be reset next time I turn it on...

Need F13 bios Gigabyte...

I am going to keep it clocked at 3.45 for now @ 1.35 volts. It is 8 hours orthos stable and runs like a bat out of hell.

After much though, I am convinced it is the motherboard or the bios right now.

I am only hitting 50C at full load too. :(

EDIT: HOLY **** that worked blade52x :) . It just booted at 3600 on the first try with 1.45V using your method........ Now to do some more testing, STUPID BIOS.

96redformula,

Do you know the link for the F12 BIOS for the DS3 motherboard? I couldve sworn I saw it before on gigabyte website but now Im only seeing F11 as the newest. Hmmmm....:confused:

edit: nm. i took the link for F11, and change it to F12 and it downloaded. wonder why gigabyte took it off their site? =O .. hopefully ill have no problems with it when the q6600 arives

Back