What Monitor for PC/Xbox 360?

I'm looking for a new desktop monitor to go with a new Xbox 360 and for PC gaming. I've been trying to find a monitor that supports HDMI, has decent gaming specs, and isn't too expensive. Size is not an issue, but I'd prefer to keep costs down.

I've read a lot about the Gateway FHD2400, and it sounds like a good option. The issues like BLB I've read about here, however, and the fact that I could do with a smaller and cheaper monitor make me think that there could be better alternatives.

The Gateway HD2200 is $200 cheaper, and that matters to me, and it also supports HDMI, but it doesn't support 1080p. I've read that the Xbox 360 can only render 720p and then upscales for 1080p, so the difference is negligible. Is this true?

Are there any other alternatives? What do you think is my best bet?

Let's say that the FHD2400 is as expensive as I'm willing to go, and I'd much prefer to spend less if there's a cheaper solution.

The FHD2400 would probably suit your needs nicely, although the BLB issue is disconcerting.

The difficulty that you're going to have with a 22" monitor is that isn't 1080p. This isn't so much a picture quality issue as it is a scaling and resolution monitor. The 360 does not output in 16:10 mode (if it did, this wouldn't be a problem), so you'll have to run off-aspect ratio. That's fine if you have 1:1 pixel mapping (although many 22" monitors do not), but then you're losing a good deal of screen real estate. Contrast that with a 24" monitor, though: there when you 1:1 pixel map, you're only losing a minimal amount of the screen because it's running in 1080p mode.

Newegg has the 24" Westinghouse for around $350, I think. That's a pretty good deal, and I believe that monitor has 1080p mode, although not strictly true 1:1.

I'm looking for a new desktop monitor to go with a new Xbox 360 and for PC gaming. I've been trying to find a monitor that supports HDMI, has decent gaming specs, and isn't too expensive. Size is not an issue, but I'd prefer to keep costs down.

I've read a lot about the Gateway FHD2400, and it sounds like a good option. The issues like BLB I've read about here, however, and the fact that I could do with a smaller and cheaper monitor make me think that there could be better alternatives.

The Gateway HD2200 is $200 cheaper, and that matters to me, and it also supports HDMI, but it doesn't support 1080p. I've read that the Xbox 360 can only render 720p and then upscales for 1080p, so the difference is negligible. Is this true?

Are there any other alternatives? What do you think is my best bet?

but then you're losing a good deal of screen real estate.

Well, if the monitor scales down for the aspect ratio, like scaling 1080p to 1680x1050 maintaining the aspect ratio, you're only losing 10% of the screen (5% on the top and bottom), I used to do this on a 19" 16:10 LCD TV and it's not so bad.

Well, if the monitor scales down for the aspect ratio, like scaling 1080p to 1680x1050 maintaining the aspect ratio, you're only losing 10% of the screen (5% on the top and bottom), I used to do this on a 19" 16:10 LCD TV and it's not so bad.

Interesting, and which 22" with HDMI actually does this without overscan/distortion?

Interesting, and which 22" with HDMI actually does this without overscan/distortion?

I'm not aware of any. That would be an interesting feature to, theoretically, scale 1080p down to 1680x1050, but in my experience most monitors will not do that at all. Instead, they simply won't display resolutions higher than the native. And that's an additional feature anyway, as I understand it. You would still need a monitor that has 1:1 mode at the outset.

Not sure what your budget is but may want to consider a nice 37" westy

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889234025

I'm gonna have to chime in on this one, my 360 looks FAR better on my new 37" Westy at 1080p via component cables than it does on my "old" Toshiba rear projection 51" TV that does 720p or 1080i...and I am going to get me a vga->componenet adaptor and try it that way., supposedly on this westy, the vga input is superior.

I know for a fact that both the 19" BenQ and the 22" BenQ will downscale 1080p to 16:10 on HDMI. The LCD's with SenseEYE (not that SenseEYE is related to scaling, just that they both happened to have SenseEYE too).

With the 19" BenQ, when doing 1080p over HDMI, there's a "Aspect" option. However, instead of giving black bars top and bottom due to the 16:9 nature of 1080p, it crops the left and right side.

So in summary: Take 1080p HDMI input > Resize to fit panel ) > crop left and right

I can tell you this, even after all that brutal resizing/cropping, 1080p downscaled+cropped looks better than 720p upscaled+cropped.

I have the dell 2007wfp, and it has 1:1 pixel mapping, doesnt have HDMI, but you can get a HDMI->Dvi Cable, and it will be the same thing, except you'll have to find an alternative sound solution,...i use the Optical

or you can use VGA, looks great also, most will argue it looks the same, i agree

I bought mine on ebay for 250, 6 months ago

its a little smaller, but you said size doesnt matter, ...but thats not what she said ;)

None:). Just get an LCD TV and use that as a monitor.

I'm running my PS3 on my 2407 but there are way too many potential issues surrounding consoles on monitors. It's not that they don't work, it's just that it takes too much work just to find one that has 1:1 pixel mapping and properly working inputs with no issues. Right now I'm just putting up with a mediocre picture and no Blu-Ray function cause the DVI port is being used by my PC (edit: not entirely true since it will do 720p/1080i over component, but quality would stink), a DVI switch is expensive and the DVI is the only port with HDCP. Also, it appears that Dell used a crappy chip to control the component inputs. Just cause it has the inputs doesn't mean it'll work well.

Another issue is with audio. I'm not entirely sure how you handle audio from a console if you use the monitors DVI or HDMI port, but it's kinda annoying. Someone in the house has a 360 hooked up by VGA to a 17" monitor (looks crappy from what I heard) and connects sound output to the sound card's input: computer must be on while 360 is on. I'm using bookshelves for speakers so have a receiver, so I had no problem. With an LCD TV, you can just hook it up to use the built-in speakers.

You may have better luck since the Xbox has a VGA input adapter to bypass my problem or you could just find a monitor with HDMI, but to me, it's too much of a hassle for a half-baked solution. From what I've heard, most monitors that accept inputs other than those from computers usually do so poorly. Also, LCD TVs are suppose to look nicer in general.

None:). Just get an LCD TV and use that as a monitor.

I'm running my PS3 on my 2407 but there are way too many potential issues surrounding consoles on monitors. It's not that they don't work, it's just that it takes too much work just to find one that has 1:1 pixel mapping and properly working inputs with no issues. Right now I'm just putting up with a mediocre picture and no Blu-Ray function cause the DVI port is being used by my PC (edit: not entirely true since it will do 720p/1080i over component, but quality would stink), a DVI switch is expensive and the DVI is the only port with HDCP. Also, it appears that Dell used a crappy chip to control the component inputs. Just cause it has the inputs doesn't mean it'll work well.

Another issue is with audio. I'm not entirely sure how you handle audio from a console if you use the monitors DVI or HDMI port, but it's kinda annoying. Someone in the house has a 360 hooked up by VGA to a 17" monitor (looks crappy from what I heard) and connects sound output to the sound card's input: computer must be on while 360 is on. I'm using bookshelves for speakers so have a receiver, so I had no problem. With an LCD TV, you can just hook it up to use the built-in speakers.

You may have better luck since the Xbox has a VGA input adapter to bypass my problem or you could just find a monitor with HDMI, but to me, it's too much of a hassle for a half-baked solution. From what I've heard, most monitors that accept inputs other than those from computers usually do so poorly. Also, LCD TVs are suppose to look nicer in general.

The classic problem with buying LCD TVs is that they tend to be way more expensive than monitors of similar size.Also, if you don't need the TV functions, you'd be better off going with a monitor, although monitor manufacturers haven't gotten it into their head that people would want to do that, it seems, and adding simple things like built-in YPbPr support (if not through their own component jacks, then at least through a VGA or DVI-I port), and things like aspect ratio control. Of course, this does seem to be a relatively new phenomenon thanks to the advent of HDMI, HDTVs including VGA and HDMI ports, and the Xbox 360 supporting VGA output, and the monitor manufacturers for the most part haven't gotten it right yet.

Thank you everbody for your help! I've got a short list of monitors I'm considering; I'm hoping that people can give further comments to help me narrow down my choices.

Gateway FHD2400
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113012&Tpk=fhd2400
Pros: Definately displays 1080p with 1:1 aspect ratio, HDMI and DVI connectors
Cons: Might have BLB problems, Expensive

Dell SP2208WFP
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...s=19&sku=320-6252&dgc=CJ&cid=24471&lid=566643
Pros: Cheap, includes "DVI with HDCP and HDMI connector", great specs
Cons: 22", so cannot display true 1080p

BenQ FP94VW
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014141
Pros: Cheap, HDMI and DVI connectors, apparently downscales well
Cons: 19", crops when downscaling

BenQ FP222WH
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014139
Pros: Fairly cheap, HDMI and DVI connectors
Cons: 22"

Westinghouse L2410NM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824255001
Pros: Big enough for 1080p yet not too expensive
Cons: "not strictly true 1080p", no DVI port (I'd have to switch Xbox 360 HDMI and PC DVI/HDMI connector)

Thoughts?

I'm seriously torn here... I worry about compromising on 1080p, but every monitor I've seen is either out of my price range (i.e. >$500), too small for 1080p, doesn't offer HDMI, or has some other issue (e.g. BLB, no 1-1 aspect ratio).

Is there any complete solution, and if not, what's the best compromise?

I have the same issue as you do. I want a 24" + monitor for PC, PS2, and possibly PS3 in the future use. The only one I've seen that's pretty much "perfect" is the Gateway XHD3000 - scaling, even 480i, is brilliant, and it has every feature you would need plus awesome S-IPS picture quality. Unfortunately, it's like $1500, and HUGE (not that that's a bad thing ;) ).

I have seven months to decide, in the interim the Dell P1130 will be great, but the size is impractical in a dorm which is why I'm looking for an LCD, aside from using it as a TV. Hopefully by then a 24" with no issues will be out, or I can save up for a used XHD3000, which probably won't be too much better size-wise than the P1130.

I think I've pretty much eliminated the two BenQ monitors.

The FHD2400 has all the features I could ask for, but the BLB issue still worries me, and it's the biggest financial risk.

The L2410NM is cheaper, which I appreciate, but the thread about it mentions all sorts of input lag, dark color, and screen-door-effect issues, while some people deny any issues and report perfect panels. Again, a risk.

The SP2208WFP is a tempting low-cost alternative, but it doesn't display 1080p and I don't know if I'm going to be hitting myself over the head about that in a few years. I love the Dell warranty, though. I'm also considering the 20" version of this monitor for the smaller pixel pitch, but I'm not sure if that's just a stupid calculus (better pitch and $20 or an extra 2"?).

Thoughts? Alternatives?

Are you really going to want to watch HD movies on your monitor? Ask yourself if you ever watched a real DVD on your monitor...

1080p has no value otherwise. Most Xbox 360 games only render at 720P no matter what you set the resolution to. Halo3 only renders at 600p. It's nice for computing for sure, but keep in mind the extra graphics power you will need to play games in native resolution on PC.

Are you really going to want to watch HD movies on your monitor? Ask yourself if you ever watched a real DVD on your monitor...

1080p has no value otherwise. Most Xbox 360 games only render at 720P no matter what you set the resolution to. Halo3 only renders at 600p. It's nice for computing for sure, but keep in mind the extra graphics power you will need to play games in native resolution on PC.

I think you're missing the point on the value of 1080p for the OP. It's not necessarily that the 360 will show higher quality b/c upscaling to 1080p rather than 720p. It's that at 1080p (and critically with the console and NOT the monitor doing the upscaling) he can run in 1:1 mode with minimal loss of screen real estate.

Is it worth stretching my budget for a Dell 2407WFP-HC? I've read good things about it, and I could hook up the Xbox via VGA or component, if not HDMI.

I think you're missing the point on the value of 1080p for the OP. It's not necessarily that the 360 will show higher quality b/c upscaling to 1080p rather than 720p. It's that at 1080p (and critically with the console and NOT the monitor doing the upscaling) he can run in 1:1 mode with minimal loss of screen real estate.

If the monitor has proper scaling hardware it wont make a difference. You guys make too big a deal out of which device does the scaling. I have tried long and hard to tell the difference between scaling from graphics card, monitor, dvd player, console, etc. None of them are really much better than the other, as far as I can tell.

I can tell you this, if you plan on using the component cable input from the 360 to the lcd, you might find that IQ has a problem. My 360 hooked to my 37" westy via component input has a pinkish horizontal band that exists anywhere there is a text box on certain games, most prominently on MX vs. ATV Untamed where you have your lap times and positions displayed. At fist I thought it was the display, so I tried it on my 51" Toshiba and sure enough, it was gone. For grins, I tried it on my old Gateway 24" lcd and the pink bands were back! It SEEMS to be an Xbox 360 issue with certain (not all) LCD's, there are many posts about this issue on other forums with different brands of lcd's.

The fix? Use the VGA cable for the xbox 360.......problem solved. And better IQ to boot.

If the monitor has proper scaling hardware it wont make a difference. You guys make too big a deal out of which device does the scaling. I have tried long and hard to tell the difference between scaling from graphics card, monitor, dvd player, console, etc. None of them are really much better than the other, as far as I can tell.

That's exactly the point: most monitors do NOT have proper scaling hardware. They rely primarily on the device to give it a proper input. The situation is somewhat different with HDTVs, but I still wouldn't want one of those doing scaling either.

In fact, I don't want anything doing scaling, which is why 1:1 mode is so key.

I've got a clear case of foot-in-the-door syndrome as I catch up on all the great products that have come out since I last went shopping.

I'm now not only considering stretching my budget for the Dell 2407WFP-HC, but I'm reconsidering the early suggestion of that 37" Westy. I can pick it up for about 800 after shipping and rebate, and it seems to be a non-TN panel with HDMI and DVI inputs and 1080p. My only concern after that would be that I'm sitting only a few feet away from it... but it's quite tempting.

....but I'm reconsidering the early suggestion of that 37" Westy. I can pick it up for about 800 after shipping and rebate, and it seems to be a non-TN panel with HDMI and DVI inputs and 1080p. My only concern after that would be that I'm sitting only a few feet away from it... but it's quite tempting.

Distance is not a problem at all, this display is just big enough to feel HUGE, but the res and pixel pitch are still good for close up viewing. I only sit 2-3 feet at most from mine since it is my main display, and text is nice and crisp. No graininess either...

Distance is not a problem at all, this display is just big enough to feel HUGE, but the res and pixel pitch are still good for close up viewing. I only sit 2-3 feet at most from mine since it is my main display, and text is nice and crisp. No graininess either...

Really? Pixel pitch isn't a problem? I figured that since it's so much larger than a 24" and has a smaller resolution, I'd be staring at a bunch of blocks. Do you recommend the 37" in total, then?

Really? Pixel pitch isn't a problem? I figured that since it's so much larger than a 24" and has a smaller resolution, I'd be staring at a bunch of blocks. Do you recommend the 37" in total, then?

It is not blocky at all. If you get like, a foot away from it, yes, you can see the pixels, but blocky....not at all. Even at my sitting distance, the display is on my desk, 2 feet to 3 feet if I lean back in my chair, it is crisp and defined.

And for an awesome pc display, hell yeah, I and alot of others love the Westy. I have been through several displays over the last 2 years, the last being a decent 24" Gateway. This display blows it away as far as banding (almost none), and it has no noticeable ghosting in games, and no inverse ghosting either.

As far as lcd's go, it's pretty good and has all the inputs you would need for just about anything. I have my 360 hooked up to it, as well as my cable box and a dvd/vhs combo player. The PiP is wonderful, you have 3 size choices and can place it anywhere on the screen.

I never thought a 37" display was feasible....boy was I wrong! I LOVE it.

Back