What motherboard to put in a SS51G

RAA-Kr1cH

Limp Gawd
I recently picked up a SS51G for cheap, I have always wanted to build a SFF system, but know very little about the products, especially shuttles. What I think I have figured out is that Shuttles MOBOs are refered to as Flex-atx, and that they are proprietary. So the only way to get a MOBO for a shuttle case, is to buy a shuttle MOBO. So if thats not the case, what boards can I put in it?

Also Do I have to stick with a certain model of shuttle MOBO? or Will this take any board they have out there? In other words, are certain model cases only able to take certain boards?

I'm thinking of using this as a file server, well thats the excuse anyway. Its really just for the experience, and enjoyment of having a SFF rig. So for products I'm thinking onboard video, with the option for either an AGP, or PCI-E card down the road. I just want to get this baby up and running, so the cheapest way to do that with the potential for a little bit of a boost down the road.

you can't upgrade a shuttle SFF - their motherboards are built specifically for the cases they are sold in.

Ah ok, so I have to buy the specific motherboard that was designed for this case then? I believe its an fs51. So what keeps the boards case specific? They've got 20 or so different types of boards and none of them are swapable? Seems kind of odd, but as I know jack on the subject, I'll take your word for it! So people all the time are modding old at cases to fit atx boards and what not, anyone know if anyone has done this to a shuttle? or what it would take?

Thx

PS: If I have to go with the FS51, any suggestions besides Ebay on where I could pick one up? I googled it with very poor results.

PSS: I've been looking at PSUs for this guy also. Is there a specific model I have to get for the SS51G? or will any shuttle PSU work?

Thx

Back