What next?

narsbars

2[H]4U
I am currently on an AMD 5900x, 64 gig of 3600 ram, and a 3070. With my current budget I can only buy used and I stick with buying from the H. What is the least expensive upgrade you think will make a noticeable difference in gaming? I have an older 40 inch 4K monitor locked at max 60 fps. I realize almost anything will max out the 60 fps but I want all eye candy, 4K, and I just can't help but upgrade regardless of "need" vs ""want". I will be selling the 3070 EVGA XC3 Ultra to help fund the purchase. 3090 TI or is there anything in the 4x series that might be found used that would be better?
I am thinking max $400.00 plus whatever I can sell the 3070 for. Thanks for all opinions.

All 4000-series GPUs are new so I doubt you'll find many being sold used for much less than MSRP.

You should be able to get at least $350 without any hassle for your 3070. If you sell it here you'll clear that after shipping. If you sell it locally for cash you shouldn't have trouble either aside from the usual gangs of morons and scammers wasting your time before a legit buyer shows up. (Assuming you live in a decently-sized city and not BFE.)

A used 3080 is easily within your budget and will be a noticeable upgrade from a 3070 at 4K - and you should be able to find a used 3090 without issue, too, it'll just be approaching your budget limit.

You should be able to buy a new 4070 with the funds you'll have available after selling your 3070. Whether that's enough of a performance upgrade or not is up to you. DLSS3 becomes available to you with the 4XXX series if that's a feature you'd like to have.

If AMD is fine with you a 6950XT would fit in your budget as well.

Last edited:
You should be able to buy a new 4070 with the funds you'll have available after selling your 3070. Whether that's enough of a performance upgrade or not is up to you. DLSS3 becomes available to you with the 4XXX series if that's a feature you'd like to have.

If AMD is fine with you a 6950XT would fit in your budget as well.
I am torn on a 4070, I hear some heated arguments. That said I probably won't have enough cash to get something with significant memory for the future. I know little about the 6950XT but will start looking. Thanks.

I am torn on a 4070, I hear some heated arguments. That said I probably won't have enough cash to get something with significant memory for the future. I know little about the 6950XT but will start looking. Thanks.
The 6950X is going to use quite a bit more power and not have DLSS3. FSR3 is coming out, but who knows how that's going to go. Otoh, you get double the amount of vram.

The 6950X is going to use quite a bit more power and not have DLSS3. FSR3 is coming out, but who knows how that's going to go. Otoh, you get double the amount of vram.
Thanks, I have a 1K power supply and not a lot of extras so I should be OK in the power arena. The vram is interesting. Back in the day I had a 1080TI with 10 gig vs 8gig. I could never find a difference but I think a card with a minimum of 16 gig is very shortly become absolutely necessary even with my monitor.

Back